• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pay Rise Thoughts?

4everAD

Sergeant
I believe the AFPRB have submitted their report to the Treasury, bearing in mind the mood music coming from Government about holding back pay rises to stop inflation going any further what are everyone's thoughts on a fair % for HM Forces?

My tuppence worth: Inflation projected to be over 11% by the end of the year, costs going through the roof, I think 5% would be a fair compromise, will it happen? Not a chance Civil Service getting 2-3% we'll probably drop in at around 3%, so that'll be an 8% cut in pay against inflation. Hopefully our union will stand up for us.............

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Contradictory to the government sentiment of keeping pay rises down so we can't spend more and keep prices high in the process...In my world of consultancy, the mood is to award big pay rises, mainly because the various companies are scrapping over the few skilled resource in the gene pool, so promising inflation busting pay rises is seen as a way of stopping people from walking to other companies.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Link it to the COLA elements of the MPs rise, nice simple and fair.

I asked for and got a comfy rise when I took my current contract so I’m not to worried about annual rises, as I’ll get an open market rate when I move to my next contract in a couple of years, contracting/consulting isnt for everyone though.

unruly1986

Sergeant
I’m expecting 3%; 2% pensionable and a 1% lump sum ‘in line with the spirit of the recommendations’.

Meanwhile, people who can, are ET‘ing left right and centre.

I have 3 years to push - I enjoy the job, but am fed up of being treated with contempt by the politicians when it comes to pay. Coupled with the focus on what many consider to be periphery issues, rather than tackling those that matter i.e. infrastructure, pay, conditions of service, etc., then I’m ready to go, as are many I work alongside.

Wasn‘t it the previous AFPRB that said that they wanted to get back on track with the release dates/schedule?

Expect this to be released on a bad news day.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
The problem with a pay rise in the military is the pay model.
If you remember back, way back, we went from a big rise to an incremented rise. An incremental rise every year instead of a fair one once.
It made enlisted the same of the Officers.
So now, on paper, every year is an incremental rise PLUS inflation, when it’s given.
The problem is that there are 16 levels of Flt Lt, even the numpties are guaranteed a pay rise, then add the discretionary inflation rise.
The SLT do not care about the non Commissioned.
Now let’s discuss the absolute failure at WO level. At Group and Station level they are nothing more, at all, than bottom feeders. 4 levels of WO, each trying to get more pay, like a parasite.
As I understand it, the pathetic WO that reached for stardom is now looking for extra incremental level for WO. Not the line WO, not PMS, not Sqn WO, but the filth that sits above that that want more pay, whilst doing none of the hard work.
But they do have to claim allowances for entertaining and also civilian clothing.
I’ve heard that the parasites may win. This is one for each and all of you to take to your MP if, as I suspect, it’s true.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think he means extra pay for the pointless posts of CASWO (WOoRAF), Gp WOs and SWOs.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Which bit?
WO is expected to have 4 extra pay layers. Not for the masses, as WO pay is the same on Bands 1-4.
Work out where the extra £6k is worth. Takes some WO into Sqn Ldr level, but not a WO on a Sqn or doing anything worthwhile, perhaps your average Xmas video actor?

Ah right, so the WOs who shout a lot about periphery issues on twitter then? And not your ‘usual’ WO posts who manage at the coalface?

Any info on this available anywhere?

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Ah right, so the WOs who shout a lot about periphery issues on twitter then? And not your ‘usual’ WO posts who manage at the coalface?

Any info on this available anywhere?
Sounds like "EXTRA" pay without any accountability or responsibility!!!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It was backloaded towards time in rank previously to aid retention and provide a supply of promotable ppl. My water tells me that they'll front load it now because recruitment is absolutely crap with a cherry on top.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
It was backloaded towards time in rank previously to aid retention and provide a supply of promotable ppl. My water tells me that they'll front load it now because recruitment is absolutely crap with a cherry on top.
Not sure where you get recruitment is crap? Halton is chocks and there’s a freeze on some trades whilst others surge.

4everAD

Sergeant
So whats the betting that this goes onto the back burner until Sep and a new PM/Chancellor? Might just get a pay rise around Christmas, luckily by then it'll have been wiped out by inflation!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Bang out, get your index-linked pension and find something less stressful.

Looking forward to my 10% rise in my pension next April :)

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
8% rise on my not so rockstar regional LAE wages. Then again I earn way more than I ever did in the mob with my third. Shame the job I lost due to Covid is up again and I am not in the place to call contract rights. 65K. Such is life.