• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OU funding?

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Just to confirm with this whole summer school payments, does it work like the SLC's in that you have to front the money first and then you get the money back??

Realist78

Master of my destiny
When I did my OU, course fees were paid by me and then 80% claimed back at the end of the year, the summer schools were paid direct by the RAF, never had to pay up front, don't know if it's the same now.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just to confirm with this whole summer school payments, does it work like the SLC's in that you have to front the money first and then you get the money back??

Contact the Defence Examination Centre at Halton...it is on the intranet site..they have all the gen..

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I did my OU, course fees were paid by me and then 80% claimed back at the end of the year

Were they cheaper courses? I thought an SLC was only 180 odd notes? My current OU module cost 650 sheets and the Education centre said I was limited to 180...

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Were they cheaper courses? I thought an SLC was only 180 odd notes? My current OU module cost 650 sheets and the Education centre said I was limited to 180...

Courses (excepting business types) were about 250 quid of which I got 80% back. Summer schools were approx 300 quid for a week and as I said were paid direct, I never paid them.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
PTC...

Get to the Education Centre and talk to the PLA/TDO, you don't need to pay the Summer School fees, the service does it automatically (as long as they have agreed for you to do the course - through the SLC). Get the forms signed and into them (Form 1950).

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Courses (excepting business types) were about 250 quid of which I got 80% back. Summer schools were approx 300 quid for a week and as I said were paid direct, I never paid them.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

This must have been some time ago, my last OU Cse was 2006 and that cost 600 squid.

Summer school paid for by the mob but not the flt back to the UK nor the hire car from/to Heathrow to/from Bath, (even refused a taxi from Uxbridge, because there's a bus don't you know, bl00dy clks).

Only hope it's worth something on the out side........

Realist78

Master of my destiny
This must have been some time ago, my last OU Cse was 2006 and that cost 600 squid.

Summer school paid for by the mob but not the flt back to the UK nor the hire car from/to Heathrow to/from Bath, (even refused a taxi from Uxbridge, because there's a bus don't you know, bl00dy clks).

Only hope it's worth something on the out side........

Graduation just before Christmas 97.

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Just spoke to the learnig centre and apparently i have to front the money for the summer school first then i get it back after i have attendend. wasn't really wanting to fork out another 500 squid when i'm already paying 600 for the other course

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Just spoke to the learnig centre and apparently i have to front the money for the summer school first then i get it back after i have attendend. wasn't really wanting to fork out another 500 squid when i'm already paying 600 for the other course

I'd check the rules on that one.:pDT_Xtremez_17:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have you contacted the DEC at Halton? They are the experts ignore what the mongers in the Education Centre tell you...

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Have you contacted the DEC at Halton? They are the experts ignore what the mongers in the Education Centre tell you...

Well i had a wee look on their website but i can't seem to find a good contact number, the education clerk had a befuddled look on her face when i said i've been told that others had it paid for up front1

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Well i had a wee look on their website but i can't seem to find a good contact number, the education clerk had a befuddled look on her face when i said i've been told that others had it paid for up front1

You can't be the only one on camp doing OU. Challenge it, where does it say in black and white etc. Ask them. A shrug of the shoulders is not good enough.

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
spoke to halton, the official guideline is that you pay for it yourself and get the money back upon completion of the summer school. That sucks ass!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
To drag a thread just under 4 years old back to life but it's still relevent...

Has the amount payable for an SLC gone up in the past 3 years? I know some OU modules, especially business modules, have gone up in price exponentially in to 4 figures so £175 is p1ssing into the wind in compensation for serving guys bettering themselves often for the benefit of the service and their sections.

Also are people getting into FE as much these days? I could quantify it as approx 25% of any section I was on was up to something educational and exterior to the service...is that about right now?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Same as before mate. SLC is unchanged. Shocking IMO.

Change to travel rules

Change to travel rules

Please check check and check again. We have just had a notice in our orders that states we CANNOt claim for travel for any SLC/ELC courses unless they are resettlement, so PLEASE don't commit to something unless you are sure. (Good Luck).