• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opting out of Reserve and Recall Liability

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I left on redundancy terms in 1996, when I has just completed 22 reckonable years of a 29 year engagement (TG1 CT). I didn't even have reserve and recall liability mentioned on my discharge docs. I was out, punkt

Me too. I didn't take it too personally. I guess this was how it was when they first started making the offer.

fatalbert

SAC
Me too. I didn't take it too personally. I guess this was how it was when they first started making the offer.

Did you leave in similar circumstances, or just around the same time? My question is only of intellectual interest. I am 56 years old and I live and work in France. I'm now too old to be recalled to anything at all! I had mates who had a reserve and recall liability placed on them, and others who didn't. There didn't appear to be a logic.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I left on redundancy terms in 1996, when I has just completed 22 reckonable years of a 29 year engagement (TG1 CT). I didn't even have reserve and recall liability mentioned on my discharge docs. I was out, punkt. Was I just fortunate, or was that the way it was then? How does the reserve and recall liability come about. Genuinely interested in a useful reply.

TIA

The Reserved Forces Act 1996 (RFA 96) brought in new powers that were introduced on 1st April 1997 that affected anyone that joined the RAF, became commisioned or re-engaged. These changes weren't really put to much effect until firmed up by the Armed Forces Act 2006 (AFA 06) when provisions for mobilisation were introduced. As you had already left in 1996 and had no existing reserve commitment, you are totally unaffected.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Or turned up and claimed to have taken drugs or be ****ed .......... The country would really have to be in trouble for the call up to happen and TBH I'm not sure I care enough to turn up after the way they've treated people who belong whilst giving away money and housing to those who don't along with all the foreign aid.

I for one wouldn't turn up, that's assuming I got a letter.

Failure to respond to a call-out would result in you being charged with Absence WithOut Leave or Desertion depending on the circumstances.

You are also responsible for ensuring your personal contact details are kept up to date.

See JSP 753 for details.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
They ain't gonna call up some 50 odd year old rigged over some youngster for fixin jets or guard and the like.....I think I'm probably safe on that one.

SCJ

Rules are you have to 'present yourself' for the call-out or face arrest.

It is down to an authorised officer of the mobilizatoin centre to determine whether you are accepted into Service or rejected at that point.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Rules also say you should get some training and a retainer.

Rules work birth ways

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Rules are you have to 'present yourself' for the call-out or face arrest.

It is down to an authorised officer of the mobilizatoin centre to determine whether you are accepted into Service or rejected at that point.

Well I'll risk it for a swisskit. I'm on RFA 96....18 years or age 55.....March 2017 for me and something really big would have had to start the recall ball rolling. As for CCS and Fitness test, fire at the wrong target and fail the fitness thing over and over is an option.

Could opt out but there must be a catch...something for nothing springs to mind.

SCJ

Max

Sergeant
Failure to respond to a call-out would result in you being charged with Absence WithOut Leave or Desertion depending on the circumstances.

You are also responsible for ensuring your personal contact details are kept up to date.

See JSP 753 for details.

Really? They'll have my bank details to pay my pension and that'll be it. I'd rather get banged up for a little while (unlikely when there isn't enough space for real criminals) than head off to some hot unpleasant oil producing country when I've got better things to do.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It would seem that if the proverbial did hit the fan in sufficient amounts that our shores were threatened (so incredibly unlikely in the first instance as we stand right now) the military could be struggling to mobilise even if backed up by an act of parliment...It would appear that people being discharged aren't being informed of their obligations either verbally or more importantly in written form...I certaionly wasn't and aside from a pension statement and a testimonial have recieved nothing suggesting we have any other business with each other... If they were to suddenly turn around and I didn't deem it worthy of my participation (another stupid expeditionary endeavour with no end game that suggests a change in peopls lives and no hope of winning e.g AFG) I would challenge it...and without suitable/any briefing during my terminal period I would have a case to say 'I don't think so'.

One thing you gain realisation in on leaving is the limited power the mil have over you except the fear of something happening should you mess up...But with hindsight very little often does happen top people and if you haven't been informed/briefed or contracted clearly to do something with a little legal help it would go away quietly so a precedent isn't set.

I did a normal 9 + 6 contract so I've officially got about 4 years left on the reserve now. I was told on discharge to keep a set of blue uniform just in case I was recalled for reserve service, however that uniform was thrown into the bin after my official discharge day.

I'm not going back in, they can ram it. Like most people here I have far better things to be doing than enforcing foreign policy for the government. If I wanted to go back out somewhere hot and sandy, I would be selling my soul to KBR or Supreme and working for the extra cash.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
My application to Opt Out is in the post.

I think the only reason it's being offered to redundees is the complexities around being compensated and how that would be affected by effectively joining up again. I can think of no other logical reason and don't intend on taking the risk of finding out.

bkray

LAC
SUperStacker, sure you dont wanna get the uniform out and give old G4S a helping hand? :pDT_Xtremez_15:

SUperStacker, sure you dont wanna get the uniform out and give old G4S a helping hand? :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Given that I work in Security anyway, I wouldn't be able to quit my day job for a temporary contract ;)

Certainly not for less money than I earn doing said day job.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Mine will be getting sent in shortly. I'd imagine that some bright spark suddenly realised that calling you back after stating you were "no longer required" might a) look bad and b) be open to a legal challenge.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Well that’s it, the letter said 6 months after discharge and that is not far off now.....Re read the letter and it stated that the new exemption policy is detailed within AP 3392 Vol 7, Leflet 104.

Could anyone out there get a copy of this for me so I can have a look see...Cos I still think the airships are pulling a fast one?

PM me and I’ll ping you my e-mail address if needed.

Cheers

Mr SCJ

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I PVRd rather than get redundancy so I still have a reserve commitment.

I however leave for NZ on Sunday to start my new job so they can get bent if they think I am flying back to cover their p1ss poor planning in getting rid of too many people.

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
"Get bent" just about sums it up for my attitude to any such recall as well. I've done my bit, and have another life now, so I'm not interested in the RAF's manning issues or impact of govt mismanagement - it's their problem.

Haven't been on here for a long time, leave the RAF on redundancy on Tuesday. Spoke to my discharge clerk when I was clearing, she didn't have a clue. Passed it up the chain to the acting FS who said "no, you don't have a reserve commitment as you've done over 22 years". Handed everything in, thought nothing of it 'til I received my Certificate of Service, 10 years Reserve Commitment. E-mailed said discharge clerk who came back with "they've made a mistake, you need to contact JPAC". Had already contacted them by the time she'd responded, still awaiting their feedback. Will be emailing an old colleague to confirm tomorrow. If they want me to go they can hardly expect me to keep hanging on for them!

I was discharged Mar 96 on redundancy and spent 5 years in class E reserves. Didn't do anything connected with service but still picked up a one-off payment each year roughly on the anniversary of discharge roughly equal to a days pay at time of discharge. I wasn't asked to do anything military in those 5 years, even when Gulf War 2 kicked off. I suppose it would depend on your trade though. I was a TG17 shiney and we were surplus to requirements at the time. Been 17 years in civvy st now with mixed fortunes.