• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opting out of Reserve and Recall Liability

Had an interesting piece of mail today.

Recieved a RAF headed letter giving me the option as a tranche 1 Applicant Redundee to be exempt from Reserve and Recall Liability.

It basically says forget what the Redundancy DIN said, as the powers that be have changed their mind?

You must apply for exemption within 6 months either side of your discharge date, applications to ACOS.

This will apply to all Tranche 2 redundees too!

Winner I say.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
They ain't gonna call up some 50 odd year old rigged over some youngster for fixin jets or guard and the like.....I think I'm probably safe on that one.

SCJ

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
i thought it was great..... apart from the fact i left on the 1st of November so fall outside the 6 month window!
So i think i shall be writing a nice letter to them anyway requesting my name be taken off the recall/reserve list anyway

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I can`t believe they`re giving out a Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card for free, gratis, and with no strings.
I`d be microscoping the small print looking for the bit that says there`ll be a cut in your pension because you weren`t available if i were you.

There is 2 double sided a4 pages to this letter and believe me I've read it more than once in great detail.

There doesnt seem to be a catch, not quite sure yet what the RAF are gaining out of it, possibly less admin for some civil servant somewhere.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
They ain't gonna call up some 50 odd year old rigged over some youngster for fixin jets or guard and the like.....I think I'm probably safe on that one.

SCJ

But the upper age limit is probably going up to 60 along with the age you can claim your RAF pension.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
There is 2 double sided a4 pages to this letter and believe me I've read it more than once in great detail.

There doesnt seem to be a catch, not quite sure yet what the RAF are gaining out of it, possibly less admin for some civil servant somewhere.

This seems very similar to to when ELCs (Enhanced Learning Credits) came out. You had to sign a form to say you wanted them to get them in the future. It was obvious that no one in their right mind would not want them but you had to go through the routine of filling the form.

Who knows, there could be the odd person out there that doesn't apply for exemption.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
When I was going to take my gear back to stores on redundancy I checked with the lovely terminations chick Hannah in PSF, she said I was eligible for reserve up to age 55.....Bugger I thought after 27 years 265 days I wouldn’t have to do it.

Well I just got my letter through and checked out my reserve commitments on the covering letter and yes I am eligible for reserve until I'm 55 because I signed on after 1st Apr 97 to LOS 30, so 4 ½ years reserve for me then.

I mean there would have to be a serious problem if they were in need of calling me up other than to support operations.

So where is the catch, well apart from the obvious risk of being called up? The powers that be ain’t doing something for nothing….there must be a catch somewhere if you opt out.

SCJ

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The act was the 1st April 1997 however it took a few months for signing on paperwork to be changed, about 18 months IIRC, and there is a difference between the liabilities of service pensioners and those who leave before their IP point.

Chances of being called up are very slight, and as most ex RAF develop a post service paunch the chance to pass an entry medical and/or fitness test would be slim.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Chances of being called up are very slight, and as most ex RAF develop a post service paunch the chance to pass an entry medical and/or fitness test would be slim.

Fitness test....lol Not a chance, not even now could I pass that thing.

SCJ

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Rumour has it, reserve service will be aligned to that of the army and we'll have to spend a week doing CCS and fitness test to ensure currency. The good bit is that like the army, we'll get a bounty for turning up. Expect this to happen from 2015 when pension, reserve service and a few other things change as we move even closer to jointry and a joint service command structure.

Max

Sergeant
Rumour has it, reserve service will be aligned to that of the army and we'll have to spend a week doing CCS and fitness test to ensure currency. The good bit is that like the army, we'll get a bounty for turning up. Expect this to happen from 2015 when pension, reserve service and a few other things change as we move even closer to jointry and a joint service command structure.

It'd be interesting to see how they enforce it if noone turned up.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Went to Glasgow airport in the mid 80s, when they dI'd a big reinforcement of bfg with reserves. Those who didn't turn up were arrested and put inside for the duration of the exercise.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Went to Glasgow airport in the mid 80s, when they dI'd a big reinforcement of bfg with reserves. Those who didn't turn up were arrested and put inside for the duration of the exercise.

It would be interesting to see the venue for 'inside' nowadays.

G

grumpyoldb

If they wanted reserves to go to BFG now they wouldn't be able to handle the rush for a couple of weeks p1ss-up.

fletch049

LAC
I've just left due end of contract and on the forms it states what I signed on for but they took the 6 years reserve of the paperwork.

Max

Sergeant
Interesting to see what might happen if they failed the fitness test.

Or turned up and claimed to have taken drugs or be ****ed .......... The country would really have to be in trouble for the call up to happen and TBH I'm not sure I care enough to turn up after the way they've treated people who belong whilst giving away money and housing to those who don't along with all the foreign aid.

I for one wouldn't turn up, that's assuming I got a letter.

fatalbert

SAC

I left on redundancy terms in 1996, when I has just completed 22 reckonable years of a 29 year engagement (TG1 CT). I didn't even have reserve and recall liability mentioned on my discharge docs. I was out, punkt. Was I just fortunate, or was that the way it was then? How does the reserve and recall liability come about. Genuinely interested in a useful reply.

TIA