• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old habits die hard

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
People who hang on to cr@p because "... it might be useful one day ..." annoy the hell out of me.

"When did you last use it. You can't remember can you? Ditch it!" AoC's, pre-AoC's, etc. taught me that anything that hasn't just been used or is just about to be used is actually nothing more than a lump that gets in the way.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
NBF, you would not like to see my garage! But I usually know where to find that 'useful' bit of kit much later, 'cos the containers are labelled.
On the other hand, I don't wear shiny shoes that often, shave every day (unless I'm ill), have my hair cut every now and then (grey, balding) and I've not needed a tie on in five years. I try to get to an appointment on time (not too early!) and usually succeed. I used to love arriving dead on time; confuses the hell out of too many.

ailiebird

Corporal
Same for me. The look on peoples faces when I'm out for a meal with the wife and I finish my meal before hers hits the table, then I spent the rest of the time looking around and counting the time it takes her to eat hers.
Tried the no shaving thing, can last for about 3 days before I give in, and yes I still turn up for work 5 - 10 mins early with shiney shoes and ironed kit.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
Told one of my engineers that he was a scruffy Tw@t and needed a haircut; funny thing is the daft cnut came in 2 days later with a haircut.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Told one of my engineers that he was a scruffy Tw@t and needed a haircut; funny thing is the daft cnut came in 2 days later with a haircut.

2 days! 2 days! He's mugging you off there fella.....

C

Combat Rickshaw

nature/nurture?

nature/nurture?

Found that service life just honed the rapid eating skills developed as he youngest of four kids - eat quickly and fight dirty!:pDT_Xtremez_30: Also found that being able to swear in seven languages is not appreciated so much in the wider world.......

working with snivelling servant types I realised that yes, there is military time (10 minutes early) and civvy time (sometime that day):pDT_Xtremez_25:

and don't get me started on the use of festering mobiles to forward some lame excuse for being late!

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Rapid eating skills?
I must have been in a different air force!

Being well turned out and on time is whats rubbed off on me. That and wanting things done properly to a good standard.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Drinking like a fish at Christmas "do's" because it's free...

Still manage to get wrecked, even if I promise myself I'm not going to do it this year.
:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
Rapid eating skills?
I must have been in a different air force!

Being well turned out and on time is whats rubbed off on me. That and wanting things done properly to a good standard.
You were a fireman we all know they were first in the mess and last out at meal times, sat their in your green string vests

G

gemarriott

You were a fireman we all know they were first in the mess and last out at meal times, sat their in your green string vests

you forgot to mention the stink! those vests were always minging!

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
Like everyone else the 5 mins early routine is sunk in deep and even the bairns have picked up on the fact. The eldest has even taken to amending her times when she is wanting to be picked up from somewhere!

Also reacted very aggressively towards a septic in a meeting over here. Useless git turned up 10 mins late, had missed the introductions, bitched and whined over various items and then started on Iraq & Afghanistan out of the blue and how the US Armed forces are the best in the world.

The look of confusion when my Scottish brogue hit the room denouncing this fact was the best I have seen in ages. (Equivalent of when a SAC tells a Fg Off that it's his turn to make the brews)

When I was a lad at Gütersloh the mess opened at 4pm and nights started at 4:30. So you had 15 minutes to shove your, "Tea / Dinner (See other thread)", down your neck before going to work.

I've been out for over 10 years now. But I still shovel my grub down my neck like there's no tomorrow instead of enjoying it.

Anyone else unable to shake off old habits from their time in?

Working in Air Traffic if you didn't drink your cuppa straight away it was cold when you eventually got to it....

They now call me asbestos mouth at work....

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Whilst being early from birth I am glad to hear I am not the only one who arrives 10 or so early. Especially as when i say 1030 hrs and they are not ready at 1040 hrs!

Shugster

Warrant Officer
when i start a job ive got to work right through till its finished, no brakes till its done. hacks the rest of the lads off but i cant stop for a cuppa half way through
it dosnt feel right.

I used to be like that until I came to Germany and wanted to work through lunch when someone said, "We're at work, not on the run!".
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Speed eating
Shiney shoes
Pressed shirts and trousers
Trying to arrive everwhere 15 minutes early
Using mangoled sentances with a strange mixture of forces speak and civvie speak
All hangovers from service

One problem I had after leaving and taking a job in civvy strasse (done it again) was I couldn't say no in work
I was always pushing on making sure that the job was done to the end
Never saying no if I got called in to work

I remember dragging my self into work to cover someone who had gone off sick and my boss pointing out I was worse than the guy who had gone home
It had never occoured to me to say no I'm sick too

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
When I was a lad at Gütersloh the mess opened at 4pm and nights started at 4:30. So you had 15 minutes to shove your, "Tea / Dinner (See other thread)", down your neck before going to work.

I've been out for over 10 years now. But I still shovel my grub down my neck like there's no tomorrow instead of enjoying it.

Anyone else unable to shake off old habits from their time in?

Not to mention eating the whole meal between 2 slices of bread !!

morse1001

Sergeant
I few years ago, while staying in Digs in Norwich, I put some bread under the grill on the cooker.

I went back to my room and got back to my studying, I soon smelt smoke and opened the door and saw flames licking up from cooker. I ran over and turned the power off. I then ran to the bottom of the stairs and shouted Fire three times. I then fought the fire using a surplus BCF extinguisher, the first time I had ever used one for real!

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
Seems like the majority of us are afflicted by arriving 5 to 10 minutes early and speed eating. I wonder if we can't get disability pensions because of it......lol That way we can be early down the post office then off for a quick breakfast.......