• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New RAF Uniform Proposal?

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've seen a pdf this morning that apparently shows the proposals for the new RAF uniform.

Not sure how legitimate it is... but here's a screenshot of one of the proposals for "Working Dress."

What's everyone's thoughts?

Screenshot_20220131-102549_Drive.jpg

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
its part of the Astra project looking at updating the look of the RAF, just blue sky thinking people, dont loose your 5hit over it. it wont happen, there isnt any cash for it. maybe new rank slides with RAF on them....

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Looks good and practical. Too good to be true so will never happen!!!!!!!! Still have those dinosaurs wanting their "traditions"!! Or there will be an EFF UPP wanting the "jacket" to be hanging loose outside or the new fleece issued to be tucked inside the trousers!!!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I've seen a pdf this morning that apparently shows the proposals for the new RAF uniform.

Not sure how legitimate it is... but here's a screenshot of one of the proposals for "Working Dress."

What's everyone's thoughts?

View attachment 1011809
You can make that out of the best quality material and it still won't be used for fishing by any lake or canal.....

...and you can tell its designed for clean hands only - (rather than a shiny bum?)

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wasn't sure if I liked it at first viewing then I spotted the stable belt, now if the beret was replaced by a decent chip hat.................

Last edited:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I remember back in the days of Tornados at Leeming, a number of Squadron personnel did an exchange with the Frenchies and returned with a set of their "Working Uniform" by way of "the laws of Gizzit."

It was a very practical pair of dungarees, with pockets in the knees for knee-pads, decent sized pockets on the thighs and a matching all weather jacket for when they had inclement weather.

We all agreed that it looked comfortable and practical, much better than what most of us were wearing.

Now I work in civvy Street, we are provided with similar style clothing which is hard wearing and practical (although I don't wear the dungarees as I look like a fat lesbian)... and I've always wondered why the RAF doesn't issue something similar, but in blue with epaulets and an RAF logo embroidered on it... instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and come up with something.

HTB

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Won't last with the Lineys.
Oil and grease, cuts, bumps, extinguishing flames and mopping up spills etc...

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Got a touch of a prison uniform to it with those contrasting colour bits.

Best kit I ever wore were the recruiting polo shirts and soft shell jacket, left that on the back of my chair on my way out.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Every so often, the file on uniform styles is dragged out of the filing cabinet, dusted off and "reviewed" by someone in the hierarchy who has too much time on their hands and is trying to justify their existence. You could almost set your watch by the regularity these uniform reviews come around. Remember the "round-neck vs vee-neck" saga many years ago?

Deltaitem

Corporal
Still struggle to understand the necessity or relevance of a beret.
The beret, much like the bearskin hat worn by the guards, reminds us that the French have had a more profound effect on our military than we'd like to think. For that reason alone, I'd say keep it. As for the rest, it's better than battledress and at least the boots look decent.