• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murray Wins!

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Well, he was a little bit Scottish at 1-4 down in the second set, but really pleased he pulled through to be a proper British champion with a straight sets win

;-) ;-)

note the smiley faces etc...

seriously though well done on a win that took years of dedication and effort to build to.

finally, thought Novak was gracious in defeat, a good sportsman...

I'm glad somebody got the joke!

wolfy

Warrant Officer
The PM has just said he should be knighted FFS. The lad did well and deserves his praise but knighted? Maybe when he retires in a few years and continues to support the sport, coaching or something.

Otherwise what happens if another brit was to win it in a few years time do they knight him?

Are we so desperate for heros that anybody that wins something gets a knighthood or some other gong.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A marvellous achievement indeed. However, it's sad to see that the Scottish/British debate is usually brought into question by the Scots. Andy's said he's done it for Great Britain/UK - which is good enough for me and very ambassadorial words in the process. If only events like this one could bring the whole country together as a united, United Kingdom!

Ping

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
It is about time that Knighthoods went back to being a military award.

stacker1195

Sergeant
The PM has just said he should be knighted FFS. The lad did well and deserves his praise but knighted? Maybe when he retires in a few years and continues to support the sport, coaching or something.

Otherwise what happens if another brit was to win it in a few years time do they knight him?

Are we so desperate for heros that anybody that wins something gets a knighthood or some other gong.

JCMD jumping on a bandwagon? Surely not.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The PM has just said he should be knighted FFS. The lad did well and deserves his praise but knighted?

Oh its much worse than that Wolfy.
What the spineless band wagon jumping cnut actually said was...

'I can’t think of anyone who deserves one more.'

He maybe can`t, but i could get a couple of thousand on a list more deserving.
No reflection on Mr Murray or his achievements.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
'I can’t think of anyone who deserves one more.'.

Bearing in mind the standard protocols for this accolade (being famous, political coffer contributor, as stated in the job description or standard retirement bonus), that's not really much of an ego stroke.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Oh its much worse than that Wolfy.
What the spineless band wagon jumping cnut actually said was...

He maybe can`t, but i could get a couple of thousand on a list more deserving.
No reflection on Mr Murray or his achievements.

But Not ex PM Tony Blair who still only has Middle East Envoy as a title.
Given they've just knighted Baldrick for his services to the Labour Party old Tone must be crying into his porridge.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Just to add something into the mix , and is not meant in any way to take anything away from Murray's achievement.

Andy Murray I'd no onager just the tennis player Andy Murray - he is also the brand Andy Murray. A brand that is image and sponsorship deal managed by X1X. Who also manage the image and personal sponsorship / endorsement of Lewis Hamilton and David Beckham.

Murray has numerous sponsorship / endorsement deals - incl £20Mil from Adidas, a reported 5 Mil from RBS, 1 Mil from Highland spring. With the Wimbledon title, and career peaking at the right time, he will be in line for several more big endorsement deals.

getting the top end deals needs two things: being at the top of your game in the sport you play, and having a marketable image. Murray is clearly at the top of his game - but for years was the dour man that insisted on being called Scottish rather than British.

over he last couple of years though, he has been happier to be called a Brit player. Possibly he mellowed on the whole thing, but more likely his image people told him to play along as it makes him more marketable. In the much same way, have you noticed the news being less about mr sour face, and more planted stories about Andy's great sense of humour? All the work of an image team

in context, Roger Federer was getting over 75 Mil a year at peak in sponsorship / endorsement deals - although is now past his peak, so less attractive to marketing people and with lower earning power.

Rafa Nadal - an image persons ream, and worked it for years. But now injury prone , so a big risk.

Novak - already tied into numerous, lucrative, deals.

Murray - getting about 20 Mil a year at moment, potential to get into the Rafa and Federer league if image carefully managed. In short, he is hot property right now.

Fwiw, I say good luck to him - the time he will have at this earning potential is quite small, a handful of years, so I would maximize it as well.

of course, it can all go wrong if there is scandal in the press, eg lance Armstrong and drugs, and Wayne Rooney lost the Coca cola and other deals after his affair was made public - Tiger Woods was dumped by sponsors for the same thing.