• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McCloud date 1 October

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
https://www.mod-pc.co.uk/ - looks like new pension calc has gone live early :)

My IP is £500 higher, but my lump sum and Final pension is lower - ?

Decision may not be as straight forward to go back to the 75......................

Doesn't take into account the pay rise either :(

4everAD

Sergeant
As expected an absolute no-brainer for me to take as much of the 15 element as I can get. £6,000 more lump sum, £4,500 more at SPA and only £185 a year less until SPA (14 years).

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As expected an absolute no-brainer for me to take as much of the 15 element as I can get. £6,000 more lump sum, £4,500 more at SPA and only £185 a year less until SPA (14 years).

Interesting, I just had a play around and tweaked my dates....only left in May, and it suggests I'd be much better off on 75 and less 15...

ERT

Corporal
Both figures are similar for me. I don't understand the aged 55 CPI thing. Heard of that with the 75 scheme but does that affect the 05, and even 15 also?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I've done the calc, shame they haven't updated the pay to show the latest pay rises however i'm much better off staying on the new scheme 05/15, just awaiting on the increase in Trade Pay rumored to be anywhere between 100-300% increase and the FRI that is due to hit the streets for Aircraft Techies next month, based on the last one its going to be at least 25K for 3 years return of service, that would take me nicely over 55 by a couple of months for rockstar pension on leaving.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
https://www.mod-pc.co.uk/ - looks like new pension calc has gone live early :)

My IP is £500 higher, but my lump sum and Final pension is lower - ?

Decision may not be as straight forward to go back to the 75......................

Doesn't take into account the pay rise either :(
If you join the Forces Pension Society the pensions team will take a look and explain what the figures mean, and how the pension will work.

unruly1986

Sergeant
I've done the calc, shame they haven't updated the pay to show the latest pay rises however i'm much better off staying on the new scheme 05/15, just awaiting on the increase in Trade Pay rumored to be anywhere between 100-300% increase and the FRI that is due to hit the streets for Aircraft Techies next month, based on the last one its going to be at least 25K for 3 years return of service, that would take me nicely over 55 by a couple of months for rockstar pension on leaving.

Increase in Trade pay? Are you referring to DERR?

Let's just hope they have thought it through and offer the retention payment to people in the 'middle ground' who are naturally still on the shop floor and provide fleet availability - they are the ones who are currently the most motivated to leave the mob where I am working.

If it's just 35+ year Chiefs and FS's who are already in resettlement already with one eye on the door that get offered, then I suspect that based on last time, they will just accept it and sit back with an extra 3 years of comfort blanket - while the middle ground see promotion stagnate (with no FRI) to keep them in.

Trust me, where I am working we are hemorrhaging the very demographic of pers (those between 8-22 years service) that we need to retain - those on the shop floor, with relevant skills and attitude to today's service. Giving FRI to those close to the very max of service just so they can build another man shed is pointless - it's a retention scheme to secure the future, not a reward scheme.

ERT

Corporal
Let's just hope they have thought it through and offer the retention payment to people in the 'middle ground' who are naturally still on the shop floor and provide fleet availability - they are the ones who are currently the most motivated to leave the mob where I am working.

If it's just 35+ year Chiefs and FS's who are already in resettlement already with one eye on the door that get offered, then I suspect that based on last time, they will just accept it and sit back with an extra 3 years of comfort blanket - while the middle ground see promotion stagnate (with no FRI) to keep them in.

Trust me, where I am working we are hemorrhaging the very demographic of pers (those between 8-22 years service) that we need to retain - those on the shop floor, with relevant skills and attitude to today's service. Giving FRI to those close to the very max of service just so they can build another man shed is pointless - it's a retention scheme to secure the future, not a reward scheme.

35+ year chiefs? Don't know where you are working, but around here its...

• 4-5 years Cpl
  • 9-10 years Sgt
  • 14-15 year Chf

unruly1986

Sergeant
There has just been a chat about this in the crew room, some of the guys are not happy. The main crux of it was that Techie Trades feel that are being undervalued for pay, as others catch up. One of them threw this scenario up, they're kinda right, however taking away from others isn't the answer either.. the standard "Bash another trade" standard crew room delight..

TG1 (Mech) gets paid less than a MT Driver (the example given), and they don't think that Trade Pay makes the difference up.

Scenario - TG1 (Mech) SNCO and a Logs (Driver) SNCO both get promoted.

• TG1 (Mech) becomes a Chief Tech (OR7-1 - Supp 3), joins the new rank on £48,477.
  • Logs (Driver) becomes a Flt Sgt (OR8-1 - Supp 1), joins the new rank on £48,819.
£342 difference in pay towards the Flt Sgt, Logs (Driver) gets paid more than a Techie, hence the addition for DERR Trade Pay to restore the balance.

If you take it back to Pay 2016 - link

• TG1 (Mech) becomes a Chief Tech, joins on £40,305.
  • Logs (Driver) becomes a Flt Sgt, joins on £40,596.
£291 difference back in 2016...

The gap between the two without DERR has increased towards the Flt Sgt. DERR Trade Pay has been eroded with the recent pay rises. To restore the balance, DERR Trade Pay needs to increase to restore the harmony. If they get a pay rise each year without it following, the advantage of being a techie reduces.

They're never happy..
FS and CT paid the same other than supp levels (OR7). Am I missing something here?

I would agree that DERR/trade pay no longer bridges the gap. Apparently it’s in review at the moment.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
35+ year chiefs? Don't know where you are working, but around here its...

• 4-5 years Cpl
  • 9-10 years Sgt
  • 14-15 year Chf

And it shows. At least on the dark blue side when looking in from the long arm or procurement, fixated on satisfying all of the DLODs.

ERT

Corporal
FS and CT paid the same other than supp levels (OR7). Am I missing something here?

I would agree that DERR/trade pay no longer bridges the gap. Apparently it’s in review at the moment.

Yeah, that's what I thought also... As I said, crew room gossip. I don't get involved. I'll edit the post to prevent confusion.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
From DCAS and CAS they are aiming it at seniors, Chf Tech exit rate is 10.4% for mechs and 19.2% for arm so what do you want to do promote all the Sgt's? There is no point taking your FS as its not financially worth it. I'll take your free cash to stay and build a bigger man shed.

Last edited:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
From DCAS and CAS they are aiming it at seniors, Chf Tech exit rate is 29% currently so what do you want to do promote all the Sgt's? There is no point taking your FS as its not financially worth it. I'll take your free cash to stay and build a bigger man shed.

Pay rise Sgt - FS is a joke (never take your FS unless you are going for WO!) but the pension is a nice bump.

unruly1986

Sergeant
That was the advice I was given, FS is a proper shitty rank that needs to be got out of the way before getting to WO. Hastened my exit once I'd got to top level Chief.
Agreed. Doing the exact same job as a Flt Lt on my team, yet those up on high always look at my rank before deciding whether to listen. Lack of barcode rank = not taken seriously (despite being a SME). Two years to push…

Pay rise is better than nothing but the job satisfaction was greater as a Sgt.