• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Master Corporal

T55

Sergeant
Has anyone any experience of the Canadian rank of Master Corporal?

Where do they fit into our rank structure?

I already have my own theories on this, just want some other opinions.

Specifically, should they be using the Sgts Mess?

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer

Only if wearing crimplene, slip ons and smelling slightly of p1ss

230Tiger

Sergeant
Sound a bit gay to me!

In answer to the question - No - the Senior NCO's mess is for just that, CPL's (even Master Cpl's) are still classed as Junior NCO's.

Once upon a time there used to be Cpl's clubs but these were only really frequented by scuffers and shineys they did away with them.

Gillo

Banned

I have just come back from a NATO HQ tour. Canadian AF still uses old terms even though 'Joint', ie PO and Chiefs with Naval cap badges, although there is no direct reference to a Canadian Navy any more. Like wise we had all kinds of problems with Americian Sgts who were only Cpls. However, application of simple OR6 seems to settle most disputes were our Sgt level starts at. I think a Master Cpl was OR5, and therefore not a Sgt but more senior than a Cpl in terms of shift leaders. Don,t even go there about the C/T FS thing which equals OR 7.

Just to confuse things even more Polish forces have about 5 grades of WO with the first starting a Sgt. Around the HQ we often felt the OR Rank should be spelt out with and a badge bit like our officers using USAF badges. However, that was no good for us because of the extra stripes used by yanks at OR level.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
We had a similar discussion a while back, it must fall in-line with the army's Lance Sgt.

Gillo

Banned
Sound a bit gay to me!

In answer to the question - No - the Senior NCO's mess is for just that, CPL's (even Master Cpl's) are still classed as Junior NCO's.

Once upon a time there used to be Cpl's clubs but these were only really frequented by scuffers and shineys they did away with them.

Guards Lance Sgts have 3 Stripes even when in greens. Queenie does not think having a single stripe on parade looks pretty, so stick some extra stripes on and cock up the whole army rank structure.

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
I believe there is no Cpl rank in the guards, so L/Cpls wear 2 stripes, L/Sgt is a full screw but wears 3, and is entitled to use the Sgts mess, and the only way of telling a Sgt from a L/Sgt is in dress uniform, where the Sgt will wear a sash.

Gillo

Banned
I believe there is no Cpl rank in the guards, so L/Cpls wear 2 stripes, L/Sgt is a full screw but wears 3, and is entitled to use the Sgts mess, and the only way of telling a Sgt from a L/Sgt is in dress uniform, where the Sgt will wear a sash.

No I think real Sgts wear gold stripes and L/Sgts silver

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist

In answer to this I suspect that someone has had the temerity to sit in your space in the bar and use your pewter tankard!!!!!!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Came across all this OR5/6 malarky at Akrotiri during Op Telic in 2003, where our American cousins tried to pass any old Tom, Dick or Harry off as an OR6 and caused a right old kerfuffle amongst the resident seniors.
The rest of couldn't really be arsed as all the messes were rammed full of troops needing to be fed so in the circumstances it was hardly a great hardship. And there were plenty of others who would have loved to have spent the Op eating food in any mess at Akrotiri!

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts

Not sure if it is true, but I was told the Guards rank system got screwed up by Queen Victoria calling a Sgt, a Cpl. As she couldn't be wrong they had to give everyone an extra stripe or something to make it right.

Hence L/Cpl became two stripes
Cpl became three.

But then you get Cpl of horse who is a Sgt..........God why couldn't they keep things simple:pDT_Xtremez_21:

230Tiger

Sergeant
Ahh, Wikipedia......aint it great

"Corporal of Horse (CoH) is a rank in the British Army's Household Cavalry corresponding to Sergeant in other regiments. Formerly, no cavalry regiments had sergeants, but the Household Cavalry are the only ones to keep this tradition alive. It is said to stem from the origin of the word sergeant, which comes from the same root as servant. Since even the lowliest trooper in the Household Cavalry was once a gentleman, it was considered that such a rank was inappropriate. The rank of Corporal of Horse has existed since at least the 1660s. The rank below is Lance Corporal of Horse and that above is Staff Corporal.
A Corporal of Horse wears three rank chevrons surmounted by a metal crown. He is addressed using his full rank title."

Bloody cavalry,

"Staff Corporal (SCpl or S/Cpl) is the equivalent rank to Staff Sergeant in the Household Cavalry, ranking between Corporal of Horse and Warrant Officer Class 2. He may hold an appointment such as Squadron Quartermaster Corporal. A Staff Corporal wears four point-up rank chevrons on his cuff, surmounted by a crown. Staff Corporals are actually addressed as "Corporal-Major" by superiors and usually as "Sir" by juniors, a holdover from the fact that the equivalent rank was originally Troop Corporal-Major"

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
Well that's cleared that up!!:pDT_Xtremez_35: clear as mud. Don't tell me the Horse out ranks all of us:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Wiki
Type in NATO ranks in search and voila the whole plethora of ranks and their counterparts.
BTW correct rank doesn't automatically entitle you to use a Sgt's Mess as was found recently at South Wales's premier training establishment, the Army do not let RAF Sgt's into the mess unless they have been oficially invited.
And its a cold day in hell before they invite anyone.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Err whilst I don,t have a great deal for USAF seniors E7 = C/T FS
E6 = Sgt
E8 = WO2 as our FSs do not equate to this rank.
E9 = WO1 or RAF WO & Master Aircrew

The USAF class E7 and above as SNCO, our Sgt rank is E6 and therefore equivalent to their Tech Sgt who is effecively a JNCO. Their Top 3 are seniors and don't include ours.