• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Master Corporal

JFOM

Trekkie Nerd
Has anyone any experience of the Canadian rank of Master Corporal?

Where do they fit into our rank structure?

I already have my own theories on this, just want some other opinions.

Specifically, should they be using the Sgts Mess?

When I was in Bosnia in 2001, a Canadian Sgt was putting me on a parade for some visiting dignatory. No Master Cpl's were on parade, just a couple of Canadian Cpl's - so I asked the question what the difference was between a Canadian Cpl and a Master Cpl.

I was told that a Master Cpl is supervisory, but a Cpl was not - It was a Master Cpl that was acting as parade commander, hence no one 'Junior' to him could be a part of the parade.

Off I trundled to this Canadian Sgt and explained that she was disadvantaging all other nationality's ranks, because the Canadians were the only ones with Master Cpl's. She told me that I was NOT a Master Cpl, regardless of the fact that my rank in the British Military was Supervisory. Off I went monking to my Canadian Sqn Ldr, who agreed with me, but couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything.

Anyway, a couple of hours later a rather ashen faced fat Canadian Sgt appears and explains that she had a discussion with the Canadian RSM, who had debriefed her accordingly! I WAS the equivalent of a Canadian Master Cpl and was therefore not on the parade.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

So there you go! Master Cpl is the equivalent of an RAF Cpl. Not entitled to the SNCO's mess and therefore deserves a good kicking! :pDT_Xtremez_32:

My two pennies worth.

JFOM

Gillo

Banned
The USAF class E7 and above as SNCO, our Sgt rank is E6 and therefore equivalent to their Tech Sgt who is effecively a JNCO. Their Top 3 are seniors and don't include ours.

WTF

You are correct that OR 7 and above are the special guys as they start to have stripes over cheverons. However, OR 7 is a FS and not a Sgt. We don,t have WO2s OR 8 and OR 9s are Chief Master Sgts which equals WO1 or RAF WO/Master. If fact the USAF do not have that many Chiefs as this is a special appointment. OR 7 is first master sgt or FS not the Tech Sgt who is a OR 6.

Master Cpl Canada is OR5 which is slightly higher than our Cpls OR 4. He/she would normally lead a shift if required.

G

gemarriott

the goat has been home to some real crap threads in the past but we are now at an all time low! Arguing about the furriners rank structure is just about as pointless as painting grass green:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Last edited:

Gillo

Banned
the goat has been home to some real crap threads in the past but we are now at an all time low! Arguing about the furriners rank structure is just about as pointless as painting grass green:pDT_Xtremez_32:

LOL FF I,m onto that when the snow melts.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
WTF

You are correct that OR 7 and above are the special guys as they start to have stripes over cheverons. However, OR 7 is a FS and not a Sgt. We don,t have WO2s OR 8 and OR 9s are Chief Master Sgts which equals WO1 or RAF WO/Master. If fact the USAF do not have that many Chiefs as this is a special appointment. OR 7 is first master sgt or FS not the Tech Sgt who is a OR 6.

Master Cpl Canada is OR5 which is slightly higher than our Cpls OR 4. He/she would normally lead a shift if required.

Their OR 6 is a JNCO, An RAF Sgt is an E6 therefore not a SNCO in the eyes of The USAF

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I agree with Gem on this one, as colonials we should refuse to recognise any of their ranks until they agree to use the only proper rank structure.

T55

Sergeant

Well since my question has been answered in a roundabout sort of way, may I thank most people for their response. I have the answer I was looking for.

Gem, please feel free to close this thread.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I agree with Gem on this one, as colonials we should refuse to recognise any of their ranks until they agree to use the only proper rank structure.

Sounds about right they just made it all up to be bloody difficult. Just as soon as we sort out the Army and Navy's fcuking assortment of cr@p ranks we'll all be golden.

The RAF are the only ones to have a logical, easy to understand rank structure everyone else is just being an awkward cnut, and are wrong.