• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marham E-Scooters

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
e-scooters or treaders.

If someone uses the 'treaders promote fitness' idea it would knock e-scooters for 6.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I spent 6 years on a Sqn that used the Marham HAS site. It was about 3 miles from my FQ to the site. It was even further for the other Sqn.

E-scooters sound like a good idea, but only if all aircrew transport is completely scrapped. I bet the Sqn Boss still has a runaround that will be used throughout the day.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I spent 6 years on a Sqn that used the Marham HAS site. It was about 3 miles from my FQ to the site. It was even further for the other Sqn.

E-scooters sound like a good idea, but only if all aircrew transport is completely scrapped. I bet the Sqn Boss still has a runaround that will be used throughout the day.

We all know that on the first day of a spell of bad weather they will be parked up.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I remember a few years ago working out of NAS Jacksonville in Florida and we got issued pretty much electric golf carts. They had a carrier basket for tools/spares on the back and seats for 2. You picked it up from the charging point, whizzed out to the jet and did your job then brought it back and plugged it in. At the time I thought it was ace and actually really practical for that environment...perhaps not so much for a North Scotland winter with sleet pissing down on you and reduced battery life.

unruly1986

Sergeant
If escooters are an example of the ‘fundamental next gen’ changes that Astra is going to bring, then I don’t have much hope.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Many years ago, noting that many MT vehicles never left the unit and were, therefore, generally restricted to 20mph limits and mostly used between, broadly, 0600 & 2000 ish, i did put forward a proposal that some (e.g. forward delivery vehs in Supply) could be replaced by box bodied variants of the traditional electric milk float (which i knew from experience to be quite robust but nippy). Such vehicles were already in use in around the grounds of places such as large hospital complexes etc anyway so were available. At the time, mid 90's, they were expensive and the proposal never got any momentum. With modern EV technology and greater emphasis on 'green' objectives it seems i was ahead of my time....

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Many years ago, noting that many MT vehicles never left the unit and were, therefore, generally restricted to 20mph limits and mostly used between, broadly, 0600 & 2000 ish, i did put forward a proposal that some (e.g. forward delivery vehs in Supply) could be replaced by box bodied variants of the traditional electric milk float (which i knew from experience to be quite robust but nippy). Such vehicles were already in use in around the grounds of places such as large hospital complexes etc anyway so were available. At the time, mid 90's, they were expensive and the proposal never got any momentum. With modern EV technology and greater emphasis on 'green' objectives it seems i was ahead of my time....
RAF Wittering are in on your ideas.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Cargo Bikes for ground crew next?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Give it 3 years and I reckon there will be loads of broken ones locked away in a compound somewhere because no one will take overall responsibility for them.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Give it 3 years and I reckon there will be loads of broken ones locked away in a compound somewhere because no one will take overall responsibility for them.
...and a complex eco-unfriendly pile it will be too!. Now....where do I store those duff batteries safely and where can I take those 90+ Lithium Batteries?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Seems to be lots of grumpy people who don’t like scooters out there.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It might be something to do with the legality of them, and the danger that they can pose.
Perhaps they could have some one with red flag walk in front of them, lol.

Can’t see many used around yours, they’re not to good with hills.