• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marham E-Scooters

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Really!!!

" Military chiefs bought 90 of the machines as part of Operation Astra, an initiative to encourage greener travel. Officials say the move has reduced use of a shuttle bus that ferries staff between three locations....."

I've checked the calendar it's not April 1st.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
All over the North Yorkshire unit. Going Full Wall E. Fitness tests coming back, lets electrically scoot around.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Not sure why anyone would have an issue if they are used in the same manner as a bicycle, some people just like to be annoyed, although there will be a few who don't respect others space, but that's got nothing to do with e-scooters.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This could be right big tin of worms.

Who controls them if anybody?
Are they obtained through MT complete with chargers?
Issued by stackers as personal kit?
DI required, user responsible for serviceability etc etc?
Safety kit required? Helmet, knee pads, elbow pads etc
Is any insurance supplied, needed, expected?
What happen when someone falls off breaks an arm or whatever?
Has a collision with another mode of transport?
Has a collision with a pedestrian?

Obviously a focus group via steering committee has looked at all these hiccups and produced a coherent plan to cover the possible eventualities.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Obviously a focus group via steering committee has looked at all these hiccups and produced a coherent plan to cover the possible eventualities.

And will the user need a 600?

dctyke

Corporal

Can they stop others just buying and using their own at Marham?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts

Didn’t have any of that malarkey for station bikes

ERT

Corporal
A good idea, and part of Astra. Astra is all about forward thinking. This is no worse than the Boris Bike situation that was at Coningsby a few years back.

It's probably a concept idea, and why can't they be rolled out. Instead of a payment of HDT, you receive some form voucher for a electric scooter. One limitation, you can't charge it at MOD expense etc, unless you live in SLA.

Astra is always about the future, change is good...the future recruit probably doesn't drive, can't get from the main site to a HAS site, therefore somehow this has to happen..

Ironically, MOD land is private land. We can do whatever we want, as long as the boss says it's OK.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Didn’t have any of that malarkey for station bikes
You did - the bikes were held on Inventories (often the SWO's) and were signed out from there..... holders/users had the same traceability & responsibilities as for any other piece of kit. I don't see any reason why e-scooters shouldn't be the same (although, from what little I have seen of them, I don't like 'em...)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
You did - the bikes were held on Inventories (often the SWO's) and were signed out from there..... holders/users had the same traceability & responsibilities as for any other piece of kit. I don't see any reason why e-scooters shouldn't be the same (although, from what little I have seen of them, I don't like 'em...)
Okay, there was some control, but peddling along on one of those rickety old things is no more risky than these scooters, just as likely to hit a pedestrian or fall off.

Have you tried one, do you need one in your life? I'm not a fan of them however just because I'm unlikely to use or own one, should that stop others with a legitimate need using them.

Be nice to see some data on normal use issues and accidents (not incidents/accidents from being a dick) to enable a reasonable discussion to take place.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
£500 each x 90 = £45,000. That's a lot of bicycles that could have been bought instead. They are to be used for getting around camp. Bikes have been used by generations of aviators (their new term for airman not mine). Keeps you fit and saves walking.

Is the married patch MOD property and the road by the SPAR shop.

On a side note, do we even have 90 pilots at Marham these days?

Allflapnofly

Corporal
What next segway's for the poor worn out line and rects personnel?.....We're spiralling to a WALL-E culture and will surely render future society with the bodies akin to Jabba the pizza hut.....Feckin push bikes or shanks pony.....What is this bone idle society world coming to?.....

Anyway, at a push, the best form and ideal transport I've used work wise was them golf buggies like those on yankee bases like Davis M (and a few others).....Carry the bods, spares and tools etc when operating from a huge ramp, final arm area, crew in snags or great big Has site.....Them Buggies are Leckie powered & user friendly.....Personal E -scooters?........You're havin' a giraffe.......

ERT

Corporal
^^Did you suggest your idea forward to Project Astra. The more ideas on paper, the diverse the solution. If a bicycle or e-scooter is the only idea submitted, the 'next gen' idea is going to always win...

fourteen2two

Corporal
Buggies make more sense, they can carry more and have roofs so better to use in our wonderful climate.
Plug them in at cease work for charging.
What happens when it's winter, steely eyed aircrew won't want to use the scooters. Plus someone might crash one and get hurt.
Sounds like a colossal waste of taxpayers money.