• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lossie and Kinloss look set to close

D

dachaigh16

Kinloss to close, Lossie..?

Kinloss to close, Lossie..?

Confirmed this aft that Kinloss will be shut after the cancellation of the MRA4, but nothing confirmed either way about Lossie. All we know is that the TGRF will be maintained at a size that is a 'minimum of 5 Op Sqns and the OCU'. Don't know if that helps??

D

Dave Yeeles is a bigjobby

No room at Marham, the 4 Sqns there already share 2 HAS sites with all hangers full with CMU/Paint/Structures.

Stab in the dark, Lossie will continue as is until 2 Sqns will go, from either Lossie or Marham or both. About 5 years from now GR4 will draw down and fall back to Marham, GR4 done in 10 years. As GR4 leaves Lossie there will be an infrastructure revamp to take JSF, subject to another defence review that may close the camp.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don't think you're an aep, or whatever they are. £30k!!
Whatever happens to them guys they'll be looked at as a whole trade, so wherever they are based they will be looked at for the heave, then it's natural wastage, no recruitment and early retirement, not just Kinloss because there is likely to be dead wood on the planes you've mentioned that could be replaced by some of the good ones from up there.
At Halton the parade ground is quiet and getting quieter, it started a couple of months ago for ALL trades.

Not only am I an AEOp I'm also clever enough to spell it correctly and use the right size letters...

£30k is approx 9 months pay (less flying pay) Einstein!

True they will consider the whole cadre when it comes down to reducing numbers but we are in the business of saving money at the moment so somebody who is trained on SAR or the AWACS for example needs no further investment whether that be extra training or the cost of moving his family to another area etc. Sadly for 'chap' at ISK he will need investment no matter what...

C

Combet Sheep

No room at Marham, the 4 Sqns there already share 2 HAS sites with all hangers full with CMU/Paint/Structures.

Stab in the dark, Lossie will continue as is until 2 Sqns will go, from either Lossie or Marham or both. About 5 years from now GR4 will draw down and fall back to Marham, GR4 done in 10 years. As GR4 leaves Lossie there will be an infrastructure revamp to take JSF, subject to another defence review that may close the camp.

Have been thinking exactly the same thing.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Alternatively, there is a rather large base just off the A1 that is just about to lose its OCU, and has had a bucket load of cash spent on doing it up in anticipation of receiving two sqns of aircraft. Its also not that far from Marham, which would help in servicings/manpower moves etc.

My bet is the OCU + 1 GR4 Sqn to Wittering at some stage. Lossie & Kinloss will go to a Scottish regiment so the govt can make it some sort of a "homecoming" for the pongos.

M

MQ-9 Reaper

For the first time in 7 decades, the skies above Moray may soon fall silent, budget cuts succeeding, where the Luftwaffe failed!:pDT_Xtremez_37:

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
I heard someone saying tonight that BAEs were suing the MOD for loss of earnings for the MRa4 in service contract... Haven't seen anything on the news channels yet but it wouldn't surprise me. £3.4 billion and 10+ years after the contract was signed and BAEs still want more cash....

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I heard someone saying tonight that BAEs were suing the MOD for loss of earnings for the MRa4 in service contract... Haven't seen anything on the news channels yet but it wouldn't surprise me. £3.4 billion and 10+ years after the contract was signed and BAEs still want more cash....

BAe should be frigging locked up.

Tyson

SAC
BAE are well up on the HPAC contract at Cott as it's been paid up front by all accounts, so if we scrap all the Harriers tomorrow or in two years they'll get the same money. Genius.