• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lossie and Kinloss look set to close

C

Combet Sheep

Less than 24 hours to the defence review, then we can all stop guessing and start counting the true cost.

G

grumpyoldb

Maybe the matelot's will move back to ISL seeing as they are getting a couple of shiney new boats. They'll need somewhere to run ashore.

Quagmire

LAC
Less than 24 hours to the defence review, then we can all stop guessing and start counting the true cost.

The most sensible post I've seen on here for a while.

TT - have you heard there is a SDSR ongoing, or have you had your head buried up your arse for the last 6 months?

Bren

LAC
If it happens then the situation locally will be very bleak. These Stations contribute over 150m to the local economy.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
The most sensible post I've seen on here for a while.

TT - have you heard there is a SDSR ongoing, or have you had your head buried up your arse for the last 6 months?

Really? There's an SDSR going on? Well spank my ass and call me charlie I thought it was alot of e-goat rumours!!

I was meaning that are the rumours of them BOTH closing just media spins? Surely that can't expect to relocate all the assets of both bases to Leuchars. I know that the MR4A is delayed again and that the Tornado's won't be around for much longer but surely Lossie will be given Typhoons or JSF if it ever comes into service.

Craig855s

Sergeant
We'll see what comes out of the SDR, but it would make a bit of sense (for the defense budget, not the local economy) to move GR4s to marham, close lossie, and move nimrods to waddington and close kinloss. But as that will destroy the local economy its not what any of us want

On local news as I type that both stations are set for bad news. God help us if the pongos move in and Forres becomes a Garrison town :pDT_Xtremez_09:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
We'll see what comes out of the SDR, but it would make a bit of sense (for the defense budget, not the local economy) to move GR4s to marham, close lossie, and move nimrods to waddington and close kinloss. But as that will destroy the local economy its not what any of us want

Waddington doesn't have the hangar space to look after MRA4 nor the local airspace once the Reds (which are safe, apparently) move in next year.

Also, even if it made sense from a Defence perspective to close both Kinloss and Lossie, if they did so neither the Conservatives nor LibDems would ever win another vote in Scotland. We could put a couple of Army Regiments from Germany into one or the other but it doesn't make much sense to locate that many people that far from their training ranges.

Oh, hang on, I'm assuming that 'sense' has been part of the decision-making process.

T

tinky

Is BBC right about Lossie and Kinloss?

Is BBC right about Lossie and Kinloss?

Today is the first we have heard of both bases Lossie and Kinloss closing. The BBC seem adament about it. Has anyone heard this rumour of both closing as in Moray it has always been thought of it being one or the other? :pDT_Xtremez_35:

L

Lord Azrael

Oh, hang on, I'm assuming that 'sense' has been part of the decision-making process.

That's the big issue really, there's rarely any real sense in these things. I'm dreading tomorrow's report as that'll be my 13 years supporting the RAF down the tube!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If it happens then the situation locally will be very bleak. These Stations contribute over 150m to the local economy.

Tomorrow will reveal the details, but Alex Salmond must be over the moon if the stories are true he can wave a cheery goodbye to the 100's of FEB's as they head south leaving the place to the Scots. Then with the vibrant income streams generated by his much vaunted northern economic ring it will be all systems go to a brighter future for that corner of the Scottish nation. Then again perhaps it will be bad news for the region.

Really? There's an SDSR going on? Well spank my ass and call me charlie I thought it was alot of e-goat rumours!!

I was meaning that are the rumours of them BOTH closing just media spins? Surely that can't expect to relocate all the assets of both bases to Leuchars. I know that the MR4A is delayed again and that the Tornado's won't be around for much longer but surely Lossie will be given Typhoons or JSF if it ever comes into service.

Cant move them to Leuchars.........thats closing to.........probably........i think:pDT_Xtremez_42:

L

Lord Azrael

I love the fact that the 2 carriers are going to be built (good luck to the builder and all)but, for JSF...does anyone see the problem here?....JSF, when is that coming in again? Anyone need a couple of large mobile islans for anything?

M

monobrow

That's the big issue really, there's rarely any real sense in these things. I'm dreading tomorrow's report as that'll be my 13 years supporting the RAF down the tube!

Click the cross box in the top right corner, go to the pub, follow that by bed then you'll be in work tomorrow ready to hear the facts as briefed by your boss. In less than 24 hours the rumour mill has gone to warp factor 5 to the point where reading anything in the news is probably lies.

No point in crapping your pants now. The brief is tomorrow!

Fingers crossed for all you lads and lassies tommorow.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

T

tinky

CMU, closing. Work transfer to Lossie??????

CMU, closing. Work transfer to Lossie??????

In the midst of Moray bases shuting and the SNP being overjoied !!!!!!!! has anyone heard of there being a chance of CMU at Marham shutting and some of the work being transfered back to Lossie????? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I heard we were going to commandeer Heathrow and Gatwick and if we don't have enough space for all our aircraft then we'll just grind off the VIN plates and torch them.