• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

London boozers

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
On a train to the smoke for an armourers reunion as I type.... Anyone got any good last minute boozer recommendations.... I'd like to avoid the inevitable where are we going faff!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ermmm, the town centre? Gods knows, prolly Covent garden style area

briggfairy

Sergeant
the founders arms on the southbank, right on the river pretty much opposite st pauls with a nice outdoor area, one of the best views in london, your also just down the road from the swan which is near shakespeares globe and the anchor down near hms belfast.

Roobarb

SAC
Strangely enough, I was going to suggest a South Bank crawl. Start at the Kings Arms (Roupel St, behind UJC) then make your way to Doggets by Blackfriars Bridge. Head east by the river towards Borough Market via a good selection of boozers. Finish off in Katzenjammers, a bier keller serving apfelkorn. Sorted..

Covent Garden - The Masons Arms (spookily enough near Grand Lodge).

Lots of good real ales and good pub grub at a reasonable price.

Used it a couple of times myself - great "proper pub" atmosphere.

Yes, I know eatin's cheatin'.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Tons of good pubs around Borough. Covent Garden is a bit touristy, but after a few sherbs you'll not care. Finish in Browns, Shoreditch.
http://browns-shoreditch.co.uk/

Browns always seems like a "really good idea" after drinking your own weight.

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
The Feathers on Broadway, just round the corner from Scotland Yard is nice. Also The Grafton Arms in Strutton Ground (also just round the corner from Scotland Yard) is also good.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know it's a little late now but for future reference the Chandos on Trafagar Square is a mans drinking pub ie bare boards, beer and crisps for sustenance and it is/was a Sam Smiths pub so quite cheap as well.

I like the Roundhouse just off Covent...if I want to leer at totty the Henry's cafe and wine bar in covent is good and it has a happy hour 7-8.30 (I know but it's not my bar nor my rules).

The Pheonix in Soho is worth a squirt and if you fancy a squirt just over the road there is a knocking shop...

As armourers you should have been touring Compton Street surely?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Ermmm, the town centre? Gods knows, prolly Covent garden style area

The Cov Garden/Piccadilly Circus/SoHo/Leicester Square areas are rubbish TBH. If you MUST go to Covent Garden, the Punch and Judy which sits above the market is decent with a good range of ales and a cracking view of the hustle and bustle of the market, especially in the summer.

London is a mahoosive city with so much going on, it's criminal not to get on the tube and visit an area away from the toursit spots. Camden High Street is very good if you don't mind an alternative vibe - get off the Northern Line at Kentish Town station and follow the road back down to Camden tube, finishing at The World's End, across the road from the station. Another favourite of mine is Smithfield, getting off at Farringdon tube and walking 5 minutes to the market. Smithfield is a huge meat market, which opens at around 0300 daily so the pubs get going around 0900 when most of the butchers have done the main bit of their trade - being next to the meat market means that the food is pretty excellent. St John's Wood and Belsize Park is excellent too. A lot of pubs in town seem to be owned by one or two chains, but still aren't too bad. Even Whitehall has a few good ones - The Clarence is fine and there's the Moon on The Water on the corner of Whitehall and Traf Square, which is a Wetherspoon's pub so has decently priced beer. Fulham, Chelsea and Sloane Square have a lot of excellent ones too, especially as you get near the river and aren't too snobby either, surprisingly.

Don't bog yourself down with the toursit areas - there's so much more of infintely better quality if you're prepared to venture even 15-20 minutes out.