• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LEAN Where are we now

I look like Bruce Willis

I Suck Like George Michael
LEAN is a major success story at Cottesmore Lyneham and Marham, as it rolls out across the RAF, us this forum to tell us all about the massive improvements that LEAN has brought about and the way LEAN has helped your Expeditionary Air Wing project airpower

AndyZ

Sergeant
I look like Bruce Willis said:
LEAN is a major success story at Cottesmore Lyneham and Marham, as it rolls out across the RAF, us this forum to tell us all about the massive improvements that LEAN has brought about and the way LEAN has helped your Expeditionary Air Wing project airpower
FFS he is serious.......WTF!!!

D

Dirk Thrust

Helped us send more guys out of area. How, because we leaned the Lean Team

AndyZ

Sergeant
Andy, this is a serious thread about the benefits of LEAN please do not lower the level
Ok no problem with that....only problem you may have is that this thread may turn out to be a dead duck...they will either ignore it or come in to slag it off...do you really believe you are seriously going to get any body in here, apart from your self, to agree that LEAN is a good thing....I dont think so. All I have read in this forum is how LEAN is seriously screwing peoples lives up and that really angers those who actually love the RAF and want a fulfilling career. As in all walks of life money talks and usually it talks complete garbage.

B

Blind_beggar

for those of us not in the know... WTF is this LEAN?

B

Blind_beggar

i'm sure. I meant in an actual sence. what excactly does it do?

AndyZ

Sergeant
Blind_beggar said:
It seems to make a mess of everyones lives in the RAF, those who seem to see it succeed I fear are extremely blinkered or are sniffing around for promotion somewhere.

S

stinky

Blind_beggar said:

I will leave to offical response to ILLBW, then let you look at from an employees view point. Basically more work less man power.

Blind_beggar said:

Value Stream Analysis maps the processes through an event/operation and asks questions at each stage like 'can we get this cheaper/quicker/just in time'

Another 'American wave to hit the beach' from people who brought us ISO9000 and COSHH - to manage corporations like - 'McDonalds'

(...for whom it may have worked - but also where it should have stayed)

P

Pan Warrior

Lean

Lean

All thats happened to our squadron is more working weekends, very late night shifts, and lots of silly mistakes, very minor accidents, and all our managers do is.? nothing:raf:

LEAN = Arse

LEAN = Arse

:pDT_Xtremez_34: if LEAN is so good then why has Lyneham got rid of most of the changes brought in and returned to a pre-LEAN unit and Why has Odiham gone so wrong since the introduction of this latest fasion !!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
supersquip said:
:pDT_Xtremez_34: if LEAN is so good then why has Lyneham got rid of most of the changes brought in and returned to a pre-LEAN unit and Why has Odiham gone so wrong since the introduction of this latest fasion !!

Nice to hear but what about the manpower reduction, how are you managing with that ? We have lost people and are stuggling to keep working (on a 2 shift basis), when we eventually lose our full quota i can't see how we could operate more than 1 shift.....which for a frontline sqn is barmy....

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
supersquip said:
we are not lots posted out whats left want to leave morale is through the floor

Snap here also...it don't bode well for the RAF of the future...thank fcuk i'm out in just over a year !!!

W

WildWeasel

The Fact Hunter said:
Value Stream Analysis maps the processes through an event/operation and asks questions at each stage like 'can we get this cheaper/quicker/just in time'

Another 'American wave to hit the beach' from people who brought us ISO9000 and COSHH - to manage corporations like - 'McDonalds'

(...for whom it may have worked - but also where it should have stayed)

And Why should they be the only ones to benefit???

Why do you say it's an american thing? IT STARTED IN JAPAN!!!!!! came in long before ISO9000 as is still going strong afterwards!

Why can't you stupid people get it through your heads that Lean is the way forward and WORKS. the only thing that doesn't work is our Air Force. all lean is really doing is showing us that it doesn't work. the problems that people complain about are the same problems we have all been complaining about since the year dot. I fail to see why, when have never had spares of some items suddenly it's Lean's fault that we have no spares.

Lean is a philosphy, a better way of working - no-one can say that Lean methods are worse than our old ways, it's simply not true. Our Lean problems at the moment come from several area's-

a) It's not finished - we've barely started, you can't complain your car doesn't go if all you've built is a wheel. There are plenty of benefits already, but it will take time to get where it's going.

b) Lazy stupid managers who don't like change since it shows everything they haven't been paying attention to. There is little lean can do that common sense shouldn't have done already.

c) The same problems we've always had, it's just now people want to blame the new thing instead of the root cause - them.

d) People who simply do not understand what they are supposed to be doing. and have no intrest in making the RAF any better, even though some of them claim to love the RAF.

How about we look at some myths?

"Lean is getting rid of manpower" Not true. We've already gotten rid of manpower, through redundancy packages and natural wastage. Lean transformations are about COPING with the reductions already made not making them. With the exception of those already planning to leave in the next few years, we all still have jobs though you may have to accept a change in posting - which you should be used to.

"Lean took away all our spares and now the suppliers can't get us any" No, it took the mountains of stuff you didn't need, that was covering up the fact that you had no contract for resupply. Now that mountain is back in the chain for others to use, it's brought to the front this resupply problem - which is your problem to deal with, so why not solve it?

"Its just a fad, it'll go away like all the others" Yeah right, you said that about ISO9000, and now thats policy. Look around. do you really think they will just disolve to Core Lean teams, Business Improvement Teams, and others, Wipe away everything we've already changed, unsign the contracts, write off the money already paid? It's here, it's staying.

"Lean makes me go OOA" Because you really joined up to stay at home and work 9-5. If you are not prepared to go away, what are you doing in an expeditionary Air Force?

"Lean makes me work harder" You're paid to work. thats what we do. it's no more than you did before. Lean just takes away the things that stopped you working. You will not have to rush things through, or work any harder.

I could go on, but I don't need to. Either get with the program and be part of the solution, or leave. if you hate it that much why are you still here?

O

Oh sir

I don't know much about lean, but I know how to spot knickers in a twist when I see 'em!
(Clasps handbag to chest, adopts side on stance with pouty lips and goes "oooOOOooohh!")

You don't know a chap by the name of Bruce do you?