• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LEAN/CI is it any use?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
That's yer profits gone down the swanny then!

Do you get another civvy to cover tool stores when one of them is off?

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
Can I ask what fleet? Because it fcuked the Herc Sqns up when they got Lean.

From what I heard the abomination that took place at Lyneham had very little to do with Lean, apart from sailing under the flag of it. Poorly led, inadequately scoped and wrongly implemented was what I heard, focusing entirely on cost, without considering quality, delivery or people; and all to further a certain female officer's career. And as a result not only was it shortly after "undone", but the chances of successful CI activity in the Herc world are pretty much like the proverbial dodo, at least in the short term.

Tell me if I've got it wrong?

Chilliboy

SAC
If that happened, and I'm not saying it didn't, one of two things went wrong: there was no "voice of the customer" on the event (maybe the Sqn refused or couldn't release a man) and value was incorrectly specified.

At a large transport base we had a 'consultant' who told us he was not there to tell us how to do it as we were the experts, yet every time we pointed out that you cannot shift 5 x 70 tonne aircraft around every 4 hours we were told 'that's the way it has to be done'.

When we finally presented 'our' plan which we rightly thought would be dismissed as ridiculous and swept away forever, the 'consultant' said it was all our idea and he had no input into it making us look a right bunch of d1cks. We even qualified it by saying it definitely wouldn't work unless we had A, B and C in place which we were assured we would get (didn't believe it though), only to be told at the outbrief "You'll never get that or that and that's too expensive so you can make do without".

So stating that there was no customer input is not always true.

The most common phrases you will hear at an event are:

"You mean like we used to have?" or
" Like we used to do?"

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
Depends if the customer(s) have been correctly identified. Normally the recipient of the product.

Care to name and shame the consultant, or which consultancy company was involved? (By PM if you like)

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Depends if the customer(s) have been correctly identified. Normally the recipient of the product.

Care to name and shame the consultant, or which consultancy company was involved? (By PM if you like)

The company running the Leaning of Lyneham which completely broke it was Simpler. They did not listen to anybody about anything and came in with their own pre-concieved idea's which were pushed by the one with the beard even though everyone told him he was talking from his rear end. Those of us who voiced dissent were simply dismissed as being 'resistant to change' and ignored. A few fcukwits got promoted out of it.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
The company running the Leaning of Lyneham which completely broke it was Simpler. They did not listen to anybody about anything and came in with their own pre-concieved idea's which were pushed by the one with the beard even though everyone told him he was talking from his rear end. Those of us who voiced dissent were simply dismissed as being 'resistant to change' and ignored. A few fcukwits got promoted out of it.

Ditto for Lossie :pDT_Xtremez_09:

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Best job in the world, Management Consultant.

Walk in, look round, ideal world solution, take cash, **** off laughing!

Unfortunately the civvy workplace is full of ex commissioned experts

Roobsta

Corporal
Can I ask what fleet? Because it fcuked the Herc Sqns up when they got Lean.

Oh burger - I'm agreeing with Webbo. IF done properly a lot of the ideas can work. We're talking tonka fleet at MRM. (The other site are just starting the pain - we tried t get all our auths, courses, etc done when we had extra manpower instead of trying to fit it in with 25 bods left). I share the same site and we went through 2 years of pain, trying to get where we are now. A lot of it is basics (day one, week one) - when you've finished with something, put it back. Then everyone knows where it is. We work a little longer than Webbo, but it's tru what he says. His lot, once they've got enough for the flypro, down tools and off they go. If the front enders break them, then so be it. We're hanging on to his coat tails, some kicking and screaming, others following blindly, and the rest in a daze.

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
Aha but it may help that your glorious leader is what we call "incurably committed" to it, rather than merely talking the talk, in the hope it will go down well on the assessment.