• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laser incident on a Virgin flight

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Cretins who commit such acts should be charged with attempted manslaughter at the bare minimum. ::/:

Allflapnofly

Corporal
Civil airliners should have a hardpoint fitted which will allow the carrying of a single 500 LGB.......When a twunt decides it would be jolly good fun to zap an airliner with a hand held laser......Flight crew release LGB, and let it track and guide down the beam to source.....Sorted.

Maybe show the whole thing on the passenger TV screens on their head rests......Top entertainment......

iainrm

Corporal
Civil airliners should have a hardpoint fitted which will allow the carrying of a single 500 LGB.......When a twunt decides it would be jolly good fun to zap an airliner with a hand held laser......Flight crew release LGB, and let it track and guide down the beam to source.....Sorted.

Maybe show the whole thing on the passenger TV screens on their head rests......Top entertainment......

Great idea

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Surely it's possible to fit some kind of polarised filter to the glass that works on laser light wavelength?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
The mong's also hit police helicopters and air ambulances very often and in some places quite regularly too.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Same as knob heads who buy megagigawatt torches and shine them at helicopters in Oxfordshire.
One made the mistake of shining it at what he thought was a RAF Merlin....... turns out it was Oxfordshire police helicopter which bathed him in a UFO style beam until the ground plods got to his house.
Turned out he was a teacher!!!!! so not all of these people are scumbag scrotes.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
These aren't just an aviation problem. I have close family in the merchant navy and he has had these aimed at him whilst navigating a large ship in a confined harbour. Ok, his speed is much less but missing 'the spot' for a turn could lead to a collision with loss of life or environmental damage. And how long before a motorway driver gets a shot with disastrous consequences?

squipper

Corporal
There are 'sun glasses' and visors available via the defence industry that protect our glorious aviators, perhaps someone in civvie street should submit a GEMS!!!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There are 'sun glasses' and visors available via the defence industry that protect our glorious aviators, perhaps someone in civvie street should submit a GEMS!!!

Anti dazzle goggles...we used them on Nimrods.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
The questions that need asking are why people actually do things like this? The morons firing lasers at ships and aircraft are probably the same ones who throw fireworks through people's letterboxes...cuz its a laugh innit??? Give a moron who has no sense of social responsibilty an idea and some sort of dangerous device with which to enact that idea, mix in a generation of useless parents and a criminal justice system that has no deterrent effect on moronic behaviour and you get morons firing lasers at aircraft coz its a laugh innit??

Teachers shining lights at helicopters is something altogether different. This is behaviour from people you would think should know better however we seem to increasingly see unbelievably stupid, childish and petulant behaviour from supposedly mature adults. So why is this? Frustration at not being able to have their own way (i.e. the helicopters leave them in peace?). Childish 'get my own back' attitudes prevailing into adulthood long after they should have been left behind? Whatever the reason we seem to be getting more sophisticated yet more immature with each passing generation.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Help me out here. Just seen a video on what a laser looks like when pointed at a plane. I can't believe how large the beam is, but when you say point it a board in a lecture room the beam is just a fit. How is this.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Help me out here. Just seen a video on what a laser looks like when pointed at a plane. I can't believe how large the beam is, but when you say point it a board in a lecture room the beam is just a fit. How is this.

Are you talking about the visible beam itself or the reflected spot due to divergence? All lasers diverge which is more apparent the further the beam is away. This is due to optical and atmospheric effects. To see the actual beam itself, the coherent light must strike something which is able to scatter it to your eye. This is why you are able to see visible wavelength beams in lower power lasers if you introduce fog....in fact you can see the effect in non-coherent light sources such as bright torches in fog.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Are you talking about the visible beam itself or the reflected spot due to divergence? All lasers diverge which is more apparent the further the beam is away. This is due to optical and atmospheric effects. To see the actual beam itself, the coherent light must strike something which is able to scatter it to your eye. This is why you are able to see visible wavelength beams in lower power lasers if you introduce fog....in fact you can see the effect in non-coherent light sources such as bright torches in fog.

I suppose it's the reflected spot. Point a laser pointer at a PowerPoint and there's a little dot. This video showed the point covering nearly the all cockpit.