• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It doesnt happen any more

Posted by kidcock> Getting charged for being in the WRAF block.
That was legalised while I was still in, during about '94 provided you were signed into the "visitors book" which no bugger ever did anyway.

Posted by T92> Monday morning test of the station air attack/air raid siren.
Every week without fail for about 3 years at Wycombe they did it.

Posted by 230 Tiger> New people being called "sprogs" and not "newbies"!
Funny we called em FNG's & you stayed one until someone else got posted in.

Posted by dkh51250> Exercises without NBC kit.
Get yourself stationed on a Command Unit! No Tacevals, Minevals & all Exercises in blues. I only ever wore my greens on exercise once for 1 day only in my whole 6yrs!

Posted by Stax> When Credenhill had 5 women to every bloke.
I was 1 of only 3 guys on our P&A course. They were all shackled though ;-(

Originally Posted by Deputy_Dawg 4 man rooms (and I don't mean in training). Surviving on less than 4 hours kip a night.
Red Flag.
And every colour exercise under the fcuking sun at STC every yr without fail!

Ahhhh Sweet Memories come flooding back. You must have joined up in the 70s.

Nope, I remember all that stuff during the 90's too!

Bren

LAC
Reversing your Landrover into a HAS door, denting it, along with 2 smashed screw-in tail lights. THEN later that night on Swing shift when the friendly RAF Police parked their identical Landrover outside, it seemed the logical thing to do. There was a perfect donor vehicle, a small kick to remove the dent and a quick switch of the lights & it was good as new. Belated apology to the poor RAF Policeman who’s career may have been blighted by the incident!
Surely that does not happen anymore?
Fair play... driving like a lunatic through the woods at Laarbruch I broke the blue light on the LR. So I removed the whole system from the vehicle, wiring etc and chucked them. Then changed the DI report - blue light: N/A..

S

spanner-do

Painting Sandbags

Painting Sandbags

Back in the late 70's early 80's at the land of the flying triangle, the latest craze was the building of sangars. Constructed from Her Madges top quality hessian sand bags and some stout lengths of timber and corrugated iron sheeting to hold the roof sandbags securely off your tin helmet.

Eventually after some hours of mirth and merriment the structure nearest our hangar and which provided security for the guard force manning the airfield entrance gate was completed.

Sect FS then had the call to ensure that in order to blend these important structures into the background that this one would also require a coat of the most recent technological advance known to man since the discovery of sliced bread. Yes you know the stuff, that matt green paint "IRR spec" or whatever it was called which had been used to deface all MT vehicles and anything else which rarely moved.

So Cpl Spanner-do and a bunch of additional volunteers are directed to apply said paint to this most recently assembled Sangar. Armed only with a 5 Litre can of the wonder paint and a 2inch brush we set off to give the Sangar the dissappearing treatment. Strangely it seems that all the previous paint applications on the numerous other Sangars which had appeared around the station had involved the use of compressed air and a spray gun, but due to defence cuts or some other feeble excuse all we had was the 5 Litre can and the brush.

Anyway 5 minutes later and with one sandbag almost painted we had run out of the wonder paint......its quite suprising how much fluid one sandbag can absorb; though we never did get to the point where it was fully saturated and started to seep out, maybe one day perhaps!!!

After a brief one way discussion with the FS, the Painters and Finishers did a proper job in almost no time at all and hardly used anywhere near as much paint as we had.

Ahhh Happy Days

burglar

SAC
Having read this thread again I feel well old. Here's a few more:
cashing cheques at the bank using your id card (then being told you can't do it any more after a couple had bounced!!:pDT_Xtremez_34:
using sellotape to hold your white 1250 together after it had become mangled in your pocket.
Blue 1250's being new.
cigarette machines in the crewroom.
full contact uckers.
survival scrambles.
marshalling with bats then chucking them away when the tw@t driving the jet did his own thing!!
4 meals a day (if you did it right) for about £2.50.
Getting food money back for leave and dets to the states.
Blue light taxis.
Free MT transport to Weeze/Goch at Laarparts.
Squadron exchanges.
Willingly stopping on camp at weekends and spending the whole time leathered (UK not RAFG).

tell the kids this nowadays and they don't believe you!!

Last edited:

Irritant.

LAC
1. The Chief’s duff gen book.
2. Sexual preference numbers before NSN’s came in.
3. Volunteering for Station Guard of Honour to avoid gate guard duties and the AOC’c annual inspection station parade/march down the taxiway. And actually trying to get the drill correct because we all knew it was good, then we all got a barrel of beer from the CO whilst the rest of the station were marching.
4. Calling the NAAFI wagon lady “the soup dragon”.
5. Exercise shift change with six guards and the guard commander all crammed in a mini metro, bouncing through the woods in Laarbruch, at night, on sidelights only and making holes in the roof lining where the SLRs poked through.
6. Talking with your hand over your mouth into the field telephone so the guard commander thinks you are masked up during exercises.
7. The excitement of getting x2 whole blank rounds to yourself during an exercise for your SLR.
8. THE Shackleton song.
9. Using two GS screw drivers to prize the top of the C/T locker open whilst someone pours in the chicken ****.
10. Mixed NATO uniforms following Jever Detachments etc.
11. Arriving at your first ever posting and finding 30 year old, single, fat SACs in the T-bar, to be greeted with “God help smallies, cos no other f***er will.
12. Being asked in the T-bar by 30 year old, single, fat SACs how long you had been in the RAF and the room shouting together “don’t look at your watch”.
13. Being put to work with the 30 year old, single, fat SACs, because the SNCOs all knew that underneath they knew their trade and had all the experience.
14. Being persuaded by 30 year old, single, fat SACs whilst on T-bar that the grubby mug in the corner needed cleaning properly with brillo pads.
15. Facing the music when the C/T found his grubby T-encrusted mug had been cleaned with a brillo pad.
16. Being dragged downtown by 30 year old, single, fat SACs for just one pint and being well and truly wrecked.
17. Fairies playing bridge, heavies playing uckers.
18. SWO’s marines at Binbrook painting kerbs.
19. SWO’s marines at Laarbruch changing barb wire because you were allowed to shoot Russians if they invaded but they were not allowed to injure themselves on rusty barb wire (Genève convention).

P

Poultice Walloper

Joining the queue with your beret on and 1250 in hand every Thursday (?) to get paid.

No bank accounts in my day! ;-)

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Early 70's jumping on tractor during night shift when not having a licence and demolishing the sqn toilet block and the rollicking was about the toilet not that guy had no licence.

Driving tractor at max speed to pick up spare from supply section driving between ramps and wondering where the concrete step came from.

Driving tractor at great of knots into hanger and find that the dust all over the floor turns into an ice rink, and hit the brakes and do a nice ballet movement while hoping you stop before the aircraft that you have just spotted.

Bondu bashing in all the squadron vehicles chasing rabbits on night/swing shift. oxy truck not the most ideal.

Volunteering to be an HGV driver for the new de-icer wagonn and sitting it tne nice warm cabin while your mates froze de-icing the aircraft.

Because of above doing most of the swing shifts which meant getting ****ed twice a day.

Watching all the keenies run out of the NAAFI bar evenings and weekends during taceval call out and staying to yamsing all the beer left before going to work.

Going down town after work/lunchtime in uniform to eat/drink and nobody batted an eyelid.

Te detachments to all sorts of places, oh what happy days and when you tell the war stories to the youth of today as someone has allready said they don't believe it. My favourite is, yeh but we have been to real wars and look suprised when you mention that so have a lot of us that are no longer in.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
VP Guard at 3am in a hard Winter.
With several others, using a short GS to undo the screws holding a Canberra's fuel tank in the wing.
Watch a repeat of the first Moon Landing in the NAAFI at 7am.

C

CC

White ID cards

SLRs (just a frickin big cannon)

DMS boots, putties and WW2 style tin hats that used to itch your head something rotten!!

Staggin on in RAFG in mixed dress (DPM bottoms and blue shirt and jumper). GSM nearly had a stroke, stupid Army cnut.

Always checking your car for IRA IEDs!!

IT systems that work......(Kardex)

Surplus manpower

Fire picket

Oh those were the days :S

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Blue ID cards (Laminated card variety).

Longish hair (because otherwise you stuck out like a sore thumb for the IRA).

Sea Boot Socks.

Ripping the collar off your overalls so that it didn't whip up with the wind and catch you in the eye.

Overalls covered with badges.

Plastic soldier hats painted with IRR paint for exercises because they were more comfy than the tin hats.

Having your old Number 1s tailored to look like the old Number 2 BD.

Liney gloves made with green cloth with leather palms.

Hi Viz belt painted black so no-one would nick it.

Liney hats.

No Lone Zones.

morse1001

Sergeant
There is supposed to be no set recipe for Honkers...It should be whatever is left in the galley shoved into the pan and cooked up although I believe some crews had their own adaptation of it...It more Pindits era than mine...

Off Topic OTOH I've produced Fresh salmon, Lobster tails, home spun chillie, the much vaunted bin liner fruit salad, airshow orange and much more from the humble MR2 galley...

we had a similar thing but it was called 'spew Stew' because it looked like someone had thrown up in the pot!

morse1001

Sergeant
Active Edge was an aircraft generation exersise, can't remember if it was just RAFG or a NATO thing.

Different note:
Dropping china graph leads in awkward places or spilling coffee down mini comms wasn't just a scopie trick, air traffic was quite good at it too, just ask ground radio.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Active Edge was an armed force wide thing. the one that i remeber was a brize, the only day when i decided to wear my blues to work, i walked into the TCW, only to be shouted at by some hairy asred NCO that an Active edge had been called and that we were deloying to little Rissington! What had happed was that someone in the comcen had sat on the message for hours and it was only when the duty airman picked up the messages, did TCW find out! Them was the days!

morse1001

Sergeant
Tsk - Smally !!

Grease-proof bog roll, every sheet printed with "Government Property". Utterly useless for wiping your jacksi with.

Also the embossed soap was in every bog. I heard a tale of an Airman getting nicked by the RAFP at a carboot sale, "Get your official Royal Wedding soap here" !!!

You clearly have done the conversion course for the toilet paper! it had a smooth and a rough side, the rough side was to take sith off and the smooth side was for shining your aesrhole for inspections!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You clearly have done the conversion course for the toilet paper! it had a smooth and a rough side, the rough side was to take sith off and the smooth side was for shining your aesrhole for inspections!

...and a little geen triangle in which one was supposed to initial each sheet after use.

Dazzy26

Corporal
Pile on's in the crew room
Bodge the mouthy ****!
Chief line controller carrying a jacking handle around with him incase you weren't quick enough when he spoke
Officers that listened to your advice
A bollocking on Det was the end of it!!
Augmentation Force
Mile & half fitness test
Practical jokes were a morale boost
Land rovers were the wagon of choice
All Sqn bosses had black mini metro's & when they were all parked outside SHQ it was great to mix um about!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Pile on's in the crew room
Bodge the mouthy ****!
Chief line controller carrying a jacking handle around with him incase you weren't quick enough when he spoke
Officers that listened to your advice
A bollocking on Det was the end of it!!Augmentation Force
Mile & half fitness test
Practical jokes were a morale boost
Land rovers were the wagon of choice
All Sqn bosses had black mini metro's & when they were all parked outside SHQ it was great to mix um about!

Oh that is sooooo true...Just before I left it was becoming a promotion stat for the officer cadre at FOBs to form a queue in front of the offender, leave them in worry and doubt for days into weeks and allow the bollocking to follow the person home lomg after it had occurred....yet another indicator of leadership not knowing how to lead.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Getting the tailor to sew a zip into the jacket of your hairy blue, but leaving the top button in place so you didn't get caught by Joe SWO.

A

amfortas

The Station Farm.

22 Sqdn's Lobster pots off Anglesea.

Pundits.

Sgt Pilots.

A

amfortas

Sdn Ldr Joe L'Estrange swearing blind that he didn't roll his Vulcan on bundu short of the runway at Aka, then having to land in foam cuz the Cpl in the caravan recommended it.

Me. hahahahahaha.