• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It doesnt happen any more

6A1

SAC
Taking 10 or so trolley accs back to battery room before early stack on Friday, problem - only two trolleys have pins so use GS etc. Trolleys do not like more than 2 mph, liney speed 15 + ( pre Douglas Taskmasters !) trolley starts to snake, GS falls out - trolleys everywhere. Normally went wrong outside Eng Wing HQ. No early stack !

After flight on Varsities included removing the exhaust trails of the oil consuming Hercules using a bucket full of Avgas and wire wool.

Pre AOCs cleaning of oil on hanger floor using buckets of Avgas and bass brooms.
Note that there were no recorded incidents of anyone blowing themselves up!

Hand pumping (because the donkey engine was broke) OMD 370 in winter.

BillyH

LAC
Removing No28 det.Bursters from 8.5 lb practice bombs. Stowing them for safe keeping, in a red bucket of sand. Marked FIRE.

BillyH :pDT_Xtremez_39::pDT_Xtremez_39:

Hook

LAC
Emptying the Nimrod toilet into the DOMS Trolley and finding the 4 gallons of Racasan and ****e on the pan because the Fairy on ground equipment didn't close the valve properly after emptying it in the morning! Calling the fire section out to wash the pan!

Watching four Vulcans do a survival scramble at endex, at Coningsby, very impressive!

Later the Vulcans didn't appear for the exercises so the Di-staff put down a large sign stating 4 x Vulcans on the pan then the guard commander tore out a page from his notepad & wrote 4 x guards & attached it the sign.
Di-staff not very happy, but guards happy & dry.

grimm6

LAC
Pay parades? Actually they finished not long after I joined in 71.
4 travel warrants a year.
Disciplining someone with the "quiet chat behind the line hut".
Good postings eg RAFG.:pDT_Xtremez_37:

Discipline - We would take them to check the Crash gates... Tricky things to check.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Emptying the Nimrod toilet into the DOMS Trolley and finding the 4 gallons of Racasan and ****e on the pan because the Fairy on ground equipment didn't close the valve properly after emptying it in the morning! Calling the fire section out to wash the pan!
Why didn't you check the valve was closed.....Before use checks!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I want to know who broke the golden rule? I reckon any sh1t on the pan would have been liney sh1t because they couldn't be ar$ed to walk into the line for a dump...we would never had crimped one out airborne for it's written in the sciptures not to.

I'd agree on the beercall point...don't think we had one in 3 years on 8(air).

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
Not having to drive into work, as swing / other shift would pick everyone up from outside the mess and fit 14 people into the back of a Landrover. ANd drop them back off after end of shift or after a beer call.100's of people still in uniform going straight from work to the sports and social at 4pm for beers and staying until late. Then quick change of clothes off to Club Ratties.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'd agree on the beercall point...don't think we had one in 3 years on 8(air).

Another of those activities were plenty of people moan about them not happening, but do feck all to make it happen. (Not that I am suggesting you are such Vim)

I remember some fantastic beer calls back on Ra Ra 20(R).

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Another of those activities were plenty of people moan about them not happening, but do feck all to make it happen. (Not that I am suggesting you are such Vim)

I remember some fantastic beer calls back on Ra Ra 20(R).

There didn't seem to be much whinging to be honest..those of us that wanted beer just met top 'o town but the fact was that we had lost that tradition of beer in uniform at work on a Friday, latterly Thursday, that was part of service life...and we were the worse for it imo.