• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ironing starch

It isn't on the kit list, but would we be allowed to take ironing starch to RTS? I use it to help prevent creases in my current work shirts, so thought it might come in useful for when we have inspections.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Look out for Dylon easy wash starch - it goes in where you conditioner should in the wash cycle and has the added advantage of adding a military "zingy edginess" to your shreddies as well.

Look out for Dylon easy wash starch - it goes in where you conditioner should in the wash cycle and has the added advantage of adding a military "zingy edginess" to your shreddies as well.

Thanks. Will try and get a hold of some. I know my ironing won't be perfect to begin with anyway (so we were told at PRTC), but anything that can potentially help along the way is a bonus.

LilStill

Sergeant
Don't think I would for RTS, to be honest. You'll be taught how to iron without it - and if you make a mistake using starch, it might cause a lot of hassle correcting that mistake. I think personally I'd do without at Halton and, once you've sorted out ironing, then begin to use it for easiness.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Get some spray starch. Use sparingly though on collars. Hardly think the OP will have the ability to continue using in wash starch in an industrial machine SteveNic. ERT sounds like a techie, but if you want nice creases, rub a soap bar well up the inside of the initial ironed crease before you press. Works great on No 1's.. (and you can learn how to iron a shirt on YT).. Good luck

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
As you are already used to using starch you shouldn't have any problem at Halton. Enjoy your time there and good luck with your RAF career.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Sorry,

I've never used starch on anything...i do however have an extra spray bottle for water as the iron is pretty poor. I just whack the temperature up.

Shirts - I just get the creases right from new, then no issues.

Trousers - I dont use an ironing cloth, i just spray them and iron. I also iron both sides of the crease to get them sharp. I can iron them once a week like this.

Combats etc - I iron them flat, i assume you will be issued MTP, which the defence clothing guideline says that your not supposed to iron creases into them, as it reduced the effectiveness.

That's how we were taught to do it at Swinditz too way back when Biggles was a boy...I found that with Starch,if the iron was set too hot the starch would form little white spots/clumps on the fabric that are hard to remove.One important point is to make sure the garment is on the hangers properly,and not crumpled.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Don't think I would for RTS, to be honest. You'll be taught how to iron without it - and if you make a mistake using starch, it might cause a lot of hassle correcting that mistake. I think personally I'd do without at Halton and, once you've sorted out ironing, then begin to use it for easiness.

I'm with Lil Stil on this one, if you make a mistake when ironing (easily done when you're tired/ stressed/ striving for EXCELLENCE) it'll be a nightmare to correct...

My advice, get the creases ok'd by your instructors, THEN start starching the creases...

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I'm with Lil Stil on this one, if you make a mistake when ironing (easily done when you're tired/ stressed/ striving for EXCELLENCE) it'll be a nightmare to correct...

My advice, get the creases ok'd by your instructors, THEN start starching the creases...

Just so.

At RTS we were told to use water, brown paper and a hot iron on No. 1 (smooth) and No. 2 (rough) uniforms.

At operational stations I simply sent my uniforms, one at a time, for dry cleaning every fortnight. But don't say that at Halton or they'll think you're a smartarse and treat you accordingly.

Hannibal

LAC
Starch for us was a banned substance when i went through the RTC just before Xmas. I'm not sure if it's different from intake to intake but i wouldn't use the stuff

stereolab

Station Cashier
Just so.

At RTS we were told to use water, brown paper and a hot iron on No. 1 (smooth) and No. 2 (rough) uniforms.

At operational stations I simply sent my uniforms, one at a time, for dry cleaning every fortnight. But don't say that at Halton or they'll think you're a smartarse and treat you accordingly.

Starch when it works is superb, but when it goes wrong its a big problem, you will be busy enough without additional starch issues.

Dry cleaning of uniforms when you pass out is the way to go,I was a regular visitor to Supply every 2nd Friday, unless off course they had early stacked, while I was travelling back from my very out of the way NATO hole in the ground.