• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting pic of the modern RAF

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
21431098-de4c-4f1b-96e8-f28262417b64.jpg

I'm confused.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
That looks so wrong.

Is it a bloke trying to look like a woman or a woman trying to look like a bloke?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
How would you address the one in the middle when throwing up a salute? Sir/Ma'am or is everyone mate or shippers these days?

foxOneFive

Corporal
If I was the lady in the middle. I'd be speaking to the RAF clothing department, as clearly her skirt obviously is not tailored as well as the lady on the right? maybe due to lack of hips? Am I allowed to say that? Well I just have. I left in 2004 and I doubt I would of saluted an officer with a beard? Not to mention one wearing a skirt too. In them old days the swo would bollick me for not shaving as a male. Great RAF promotional picture :)

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I suppose it doesn't matter a jot what we think, it shows the service today is inclusive and welcoming to all genders and sexualities.

I do wonder what our potential enemies with their somewhat different perspective on human rights are making of it and the potential resilience of the services today to resist a determined onslaught.

Junter

LAC
If I was the lady in the middle. I'd be speaking to the RAF clothing department, as clearly her skirt obviously is not tailored as well as the lady on the right? maybe due to lack of hips? Am I allowed to say that? Well I just have. I left in 2004 and I doubt I would of saluted an officer with a beard? Not to mention one wearing a skirt too. In them old days the swo would bollick me for not shaving as a male. Great RAF promotional picture :)
I think the lady in the middle's skirt doesn't look as well tailored because it's being ruffled by her willy.

I suppose it doesn't matter a jot what we think, it shows the service today is inclusive and welcoming to all genders and sexualities.

I do wonder what our potential enemies with their somewhat different perspective on human rights are making of it and the potential resilience of the services today to resist a determined onslaught.
Resilience isn't dependent on what clothes someone wears...there have been trans people serving openly since 1999, and it's been rather busy on the resilience front since then, hasn't it. It's not like trans people have 'suddenly appeared'. Success or failure has never been determined by what gender someone identifies as.

I thought none of this mattered as long as they could do their job, right?

Or does personal outrage and gammon mouth foaming still play a part?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Some questions appear in my mind.

How would you know the pronouns when saluting if you didn't know the officer concerned? "Morning Sir/Ma'am/They?"

Does a person identifying as non-binary get issued both male and female uniforms? How does that fit in with the clothing regulations?

Which fitness test does a (biologically male) person identifying as a female take? (and vice versa)

Some questions appear in my mind.

How would you know the pronouns when saluting if you didn't know the officer concerned? "Morning Sir/Ma'am/They?"

Does a person identifying as non-binary get issued both male and female uniforms? How does that fit in with the clothing regulations?

Which fitness test does a (biologically male) person identifying as a female take? (and vice versa)
Because of the situation, just saying 'morning' would do, with the salute. They would clarify if you asked them - I know it's 'not conventional', but it's polite at least.

PCS is unisex but with regards to other uniforms then they can get permission to have either. Cost is minimal because it only a very small minority. Besides, probably costs more money if you ground run an engine for 10 mins longer than planned.

Fitness tests are based on 'assigned gender at birth' if you are non-binary. For trans people, then fitness tests are based on whatever your JPA says.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I have no problems with people choosing what they want to be, male,female,gay. transgender, non-binary, I really don't care, however what I do care about is dress standards. The RAF need to address this and lay it out in policy, so there is rules that all have to follow and not cut your own detail.

I have no problems with people choosing what they want to be, male,female,gay. transgender, non-binary, I really don't care, however what I do care about is dress standards. The RAF need to address this and lay it out in policy, so there is rules that all have to follow and not cut your own detail.
I agree with the sentiments. They will have had permissions at the right levels to adjust dress - especially considering it was published on social media. The MCO will have ensured it was above board, and the individual will have spoken to the SWO etc.

The fact is that standards need to evolve , not drop, with the times so that there is a definite line in the sand. Non-binary people (regardless of how difficult it can be to understand their identity) aren't going away. They are in roles and are providing as much operational support as everyone else, and in this enlightened world we need to move with the times to provide a solution that is both clear on standards (we are the military after all!) and also be inclusive across the board.

Last edited:

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Resilience isn't dependent on what clothes someone wears...there have been trans people serving openly since 1999, and it's been rather busy on the resilience front since then, hasn't it. It's not like trans people have 'suddenly appeared'. Success or failure has never been determined by what gender someone identifies as.
I don't disagree with you but the fact remains that there are plenty of countries in the world, some of them potential adversaries, who don't share the UK's liberal values. Some of those countries will use such images to stir up antagonism against the 'depraved and morally corrupt' UK (not my sentiments but the sort of terminology that can be heard). Gammons may froth and fulminate but they don't throw people off of tower blocks.. .