• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

in the interview

U

unknowntoyou

what questions do they ask ?
really nervous about the things like current affairs etc
how much do they ask on current affairs and does anyone have any examples of questions
oh and whats the best way to prepare ?

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Read the BBC news website every day to stay abreast of current affairs. Know where all our forces are deployed overseas and why they're there.

Minor

SAC
In your interview they will discuss your life in and out of school. What responsibilities you've held and your knowledge on the RAF. You should have been given a welcome pack with DVD and info sheets. Read them and quote them during the interview.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
It's a constant wonder to me how any of us managed to join the RAF prior to the advent of the internet. After all we didn't have sites like this to ask what questions they asked in the interview and other questions.

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

It's a constant wonder to me how any of us managed to join the RAF prior to the advent of the interent. After all we didn't have sites like this to ask what questions they asked in the interview and other questions.

Perhaps we were better off for that.

I must confess that 6 years in the Air Cadets being tutored by a couple of Bomber Commands finest meant walking into the CIO as we called them held no fears for me. I could read and write, hold a conversation, knew enough to wear my suit but most importantly who to call sir and who call Sergeant and when to do it.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Perhaps we were better off for that.

I must confess that 6 years in the Air Cadets being tutored by a couple of Bomber Commands finest meant walking into the CIO as we called them held no fears for me. I could read and write, hold a conversation, knew enough to wear my suit but most importantly who to call sir and who call Sergeant and when to do it.

I too spent time in the ATC and we were on quite friendly terms with the local CIO, but in no way did they help or tutor me when I went through, their professionalism and indeed my pride would not allow it.
I remember arriving for my tests and another young man with long hair and an ear ring arrived, dressed in t shirt and track suit bottoms, he was immediately told to remove his ear ring, guess what kind of impression he made!

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I too spent time in the ATC and we were on quite friendly terms with the local CIO, but in no way did they help or tutor me when I went through, their professionalism and indeed my pride would not allow it.
I remember arriving for my tests and another young man with long hair and an ear ring arrived, dressed in t shirt and track suit bottoms, he was immediately told to remove his ear ring, guess what kind of impression he made!

Well I made it to Corporal :pDT_Xtremez_14:

TW

G

gemarriott

By tutoring I meant the general stuff an Air Cadet learned. I hadn't met any of the staff of the CIO prior to going there, it was just that after 6 years as a cadet being surrounded by blue suits was normal and nothing to get excited or nervous about.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
By tutoring I meant the general stuff an Air Cadet learned. I hadn't met any of the staff of the CIO prior to going there, it was just that after 6 years as a cadet being surrounded by blue suits was normal and nothing to get excited or nervous about.

I gathered you menat that:pDT_Xtremez_14:

I

Isis

what questions do they ask ?
really nervous about the things like current affairs etc
how much do they ask on current affairs and does anyone have any examples of questions
oh and whats the best way to prepare ?

Memorise your own details! It is amazing how many people go to interview and don't know what year they left school/college/uni, or the name of the company they worked for over the last 4 years or whatever. Details like that will be required. So know your own history perfectly.

Know a bit about the RAF. You do not need to know the engine specification and size in mm of every aircraft. You do need an understanding of the aircraft we have and the roles they work in. You need an idea of where we are based (UK and overseas) and the where and whys of our current major deployments. You need a general overview of the RAF, and to show specific insight into the roles you are applying for - so cover basic training, branch/trade training, further training you might undergo, first and second likely postings, additional duties you are likely to end up with. Essentially show some initative and interest.

In regard to current affairs - read quality papers, the week is excellent for bitesized news, the economist is a good read and the BBC News website is a brilliant starting point. Know what is going on in the news generally, for a period of the previous 12 -18 months. Have in-depth knowedge and OPINIONS on 4-5 UK topics, and the same for overseas. Try to make them a mix of topics (eg not all linked to the economy or not all environmental issues) and try to have a slightly quirky topic, but one that stands up. It will set you apart from your peers (for example how many times do you reckon they hear about the US election campaign? or the Olympics?). Obviously you should be aware of mainstream news and I would suggest 4 of your 5 in depth topics are mainstream. So for example why not cover the paralympics - less coverage, new angles, still relevent, and plently of places to go with the topic (not saying its the best topic to cover, just it would offer an alternative to the norm).

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
How old are you in years and complete months? Amazing how many people struggle with that.

What is your greatest weakness?

Why do you think you deserve to be given the opportunity to become an RAF orificer / NCA?

F

fergo

How old are you in years and complete months? Amazing how many people struggle with that.

What is your greatest weakness?

Why do you think you deserve to be given the opportunity to become an RAF orificer / NCA?

They dont ask the first question anymore!!!!
I remember my first interview in AFCO and I didnt know that question was coming, can laugh about it now.

Try not to worry too much about it. It is good to have a bit of an idea of the questions but to be honset none of it should throw you if you read what you have given and do a bit of research.

Wihs i had had the Goat/Internet when i was going through the system and could have let some other poor sod do the "hard" work of looking it up etc

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Know

Know

Know yourself

Know the RAF

Know why you want it

Be honest.

Be Smart

Be polite

Have Confidence in yourself

Have an understanding in what you expect

Have an understanding about what the RAF does, with whom and where.

Good Luck.

3Chordwonder

Another top tip - don't do what the girl did at my son's interview and forget to bring birth cert, Exam certs...everything that was listed on the invite letter. Then have the audacity to say "I didn't know I had to bring all that"

She was politely shown the door...

I

Isis

Another top tip - don't do what the girl did at my son's interview and forget to bring birth cert, Exam certs...everything that was listed on the invite letter. Then have the audacity to say "I didn't know I had to bring all that"

I always remember at my first proper post grad job interview producing a folder full of such certs and being told "wow - no-one's ever brought their paperwork in before."

That's civvy st for you

T

TKS

Wait wait, is this for the first initial AFCO interview? I was told I don't have to bring anything, by the person on the phone. All she said was "dress smart, no jeans etc.."

Now obviously I do have to bring some sort of ID like Licence etc.. but I didn't know I'd have to bring in all my Exam Certs etc.. I have my interview on Monday, so I suppose I'll have time to bring everything I need. I thought this interview would be more relaxed and then there would be a more "proper" one afterwards. Not 100% sure on how everything works at the moment.

So far all I've done is call up, get the information booklet and go through all the options and read up about everything. And then called up again to book an appointment with the AFCO, which will be an "informal and relaxed chat" according to the letter. And that's about how far I am.

As for current affairs and all that, I'm not so worried about that. I'm more worried about what I actually have to bring with me, I'm getting different messages from everyone here.

I'm looking through the booklet right now, I have the first interview with the AFCO then if that goes well, one with a serving member, and then after that another one.

J

Jamie.

i went for wsop passed the filters, then didnt get it at cranwell, came back and went fo techie and walked the interview, uve got to be confident and feel u can do it a jittery little ant wont impress, just prepare study and answer all the sample questions these guys have asked and ull be fine :)