• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ideas for a motor bike based summer holiday

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Well, now that I have been a fully fledged rider for over a year, and as the proud owner of a CB1300 I need some advice on where the best routes are for a motorbike based summer holiday this year.

I won't be considering Europe just yet because of insurance costs, so if any Goatbikers have any ideas on the best routes / campsites / B&Bs for 2 weeks in July, it would be much appreciated!

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm not into bikes but my oppo at work is a bit of a fanatic. He says to try this web site.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
If you've got 2 weeks, it's gotta be the round Britain run. Take a tent and a credit card and follow your nose with the aid of a map, bin the GPS and just go with your gut. And don't forget the tripod for the cheesy 'I've been there' photo's.

Surprised you are concerned about additional insurance costs for Europe, my policy covers up to 90 days on the continent as standard. The roads are much better :)

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Well, now that I have been a fully fledged rider for over a year, and as the proud owner of a CB1300 I need some advice on where the best routes are for a motorbike based summer holiday this year.

I won't be considering Europe just yet because of insurance costs, so if any Goatbikers have any ideas on the best routes / campsites / B&Bs for 2 weeks in July, it would be much appreciated!

The sun and air, travelling through Vietnam with his fiancee, bought a couple of clapped-out bikes on arrival in the North, did them up en-route, and sold them for a healthy profit when leaving from the South.

Or you could take John's advice. Open road and all that, but do your exploring on B-roads, they're much more fun. And watch out for Mr Toad, he's capable of pinching your bike and riding into a pond (if Rimmer doesn't crash into you with the Star Bug).

FootTapper

Sergeant
AFAIK all insurance policies provide third party cover for Europe as standard, you should get 90 days or so "green card" on your policy anyway.

In which case - ride down through France to the south west corner, ride the length of the Pyrenees west to east, check out some Tour de France stages and famous climbs the easier way, stop in Andorra for a couple of days, eat Paella and buy duty free, then ride back along the Pyrenees to the western edge. Continue west into Galicia (Northern Spain) and go ride the Picos mountains, then head to Santander, get on the 24 hour ferry back to Portsmouth and wake up with a Gin hangover in your cabin.

The only problem with doing a trip like that is that you become the equivalent of a fanatical born-again Christian and then spend the rest of your life trying to show people the light and convince them to go do something similar....

(If you do it, you will thank me afterwards.)

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Thanks for all your tips here - I guess I should really check my insurance again as FootTapper's European suggestion sounds like the way to go....and try and find some way of using the Groinal Attachment to aid in the long journey...:pDT_Xtremez_14:

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
Spain tour

Spain tour

I`ve just got back from a 7 day tour to Jerez and can thoroughly recommend the Pyrenees. I got the boat to and from Bilbao.
Now at first it sounds expensive but 2 riders and 2 bikes return was £650. When i calculated the dover ferry, fuel, motorway tolls, tyre/chair ware and a night stop in a hotel (dover to the border is nearly 700 miles) it only worked out £60 extra pp ... you arrive fresh and had 24 hrs for a few beers with no worries.
Be warned tho, if you get flashed in Spain they will persue you (probably cos of their economy) if you ignore it the issues an arrest warrant and
next time your passport is at Spanish custome they arrest you ...

firestorm

Warrant Officer
What Foot Tapper said. You get your green card for free from most insurers. Best tip? Go abroad as it's always raining here and biking in the rain is miserable!

Last edited:

FootTapper

Sergeant
I decided to only get the full ferry one way - I'd ridden down to near St Nazaire to meet up with family, then got the St Nazaire to Gijon (Hee-Hon) ferry. Overnight, two people, two bikes, en-suite cabin - £120. We couldn't have ridden to Galicia from St Nazaire for that much in fuel alone, so the night's accommodation was free!

I'm a big fan of overnight ferries - in a hotel you stop travelling when you sleep, with ferries the journey continues - so for the less interesting bits it's free miles.

I would suggest if you want to do ride down+ ferry back or ferry down + ride back you choose the first option. Riding back to the UK from the Pyrenees is quite a trip, if it's at the end of the holiday it can feel like you're holiday is already over and you've got two days of travelling to get through. If you ride down then it's all part of the holiday, by the time you get on the ferry for the trip back it still feels like part of the holiday. Next thing you're at Portsmouth and nearly home - it feels great.

We got a bit carried away with the ferry on the way back and ended up with a Commodore class room. Needless to say at the "Club Class Check-in" we were the only two people wearing leathers! The lass very politely asked if we were lost and looking for the main reception :) Fair play to her though, after we showed our tickets she was great and kept bringing us freebies to the room :D

If you go to Andorra try and be there mid-week rather than weekend - the place gets absolutely rammed at the weekends. Andorra la Vella is full of bike shops selling some very cheap gear (crazy low tax in Andorra) so it's worth staying two nights and having a day off the bike wandering around. Caldea (cal-day-a) is a big swimming pool spa thing in ALV, great to go get a massage and some serious relaxation after a week on the bike.

We stayed at a variety of hotels and B&Bs, our route along the Pyrenees followed closely to the Franco-Spanish border. The roads do seem to very depending on which side of the border you are, the French passes tend to be more technical while the Spanish side seems to have more of the faster sweepers. Both are great. I rode a few of the great Tour de France routes and climbs (Tourmalet, Aspin, Peyresoude, Luz Ardiden, few others) and have a new found massive respect for Mark Cavendish for being able to even get to the top of them on a treader. A few of the routes I was knackered just taking a motorbike up there!

There's a brilliant B&B just on the French side of the border a little way west of Andorra called Le Chapeau Bleu (Blue hat!) run by a guy called Ron - really great place, the first thing he does when you arrive is point you towards the cool box and tell you to help yourself. If you stay there then make sure to have dinner with them - I'd never heard of Baked Camembert before and it's incredible. In the morning he rides down to the bakery in the village to get fresh croissants and bread for the breakfast.

Whatever you do, don't look at property prices in the Pyrenees. Outside of the towns you can get properties for outrageously cheap prices compared to the UK - I nearly blew my redundancy money on my dream Farmhouse/ Barn to convert! (Reality kicked in and I realised I was probably going to need an income to support me...)

(You know I said earlier the only downside is that you find yourself going on about it to anyone who'll listen and many people who won't? See above.)

Kryten

Warrant Officer
No worries, FT - some great tips there.....and once again, thanks to all - starting to lean towards a holiday in Europe more than a ride around UK....

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
European route

European route

Ferry at Dover, cross into / try to avoid France and head across Spain, down to Gibraltar then back up the West through Portugal, ferry back at Southampton.Of course it depends where you're starting from. If you're more in the Lossie area I'd say wrap up warm and head across to Finland / Amsterdam.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Uk version

Uk version

If fundage becomes an issue, stick a 2-up tent in your panniers and head for Anglesey, then take either the Welsh Coastal roads down to pembroke or cross back through to Wrexham and take the A483 all the way to South Wales (a really nice biking road). Reward yourself with a night out in Cardiff at the end of it.Probably do the whole thing in a long weekend, or a mid-week break. Plenty of camp sites all over the shop, but if you're still 'in', try getting transit accommodation instead.

Timmelsjoch

Timmelsjoch

Timmelsjoch1.jpg

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
No worries, FT - some great tips there.....and once again, thanks to all - starting to lean towards a holiday in Europe more than a ride around UK....

If it's your first trip and don't fancy getting @rse sore, The Ardennes is gorgeous, as is a trip across to the Moselle, down the Rhine through the Black Forest and back via the Vosges.

Or just do the Dams Raid, Hull to Rotterdam, Arnhem and Warstein(er). Just remember to take the flying goggles and flying jacket