• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hello..

Hey guys/girls of Egoat

so little bit about. I'm male aged 24. Have wanted to joint the RAF for a long time now and have finally got round to submitting my application form in March. It took around 5 weeks to get a reply. And I am now waiting to attend my AST and I'm assuming my first interview, Which will be on the 18th of this month. So not long :0. I am really nervous about the interview as although I have had many full time jobs I have never sat in an interview before. I have been practising a lot of AST type tests and I'm not to bad at them so not to worried about that. Just the interview lol.

I am applying for the role of logistics mover. As it sounds rather exciting and a close friend of mine is also in the RAF and has the same role.

Any information or some form of guidance on the interview side would be very much appreciated. Please excuse any misspelled words or poor grammar as its late and I'm off to work soon :) lol

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
The best way to prepare for interviews is to have practice ones. Get a list of questions and have someone sit and ask you. It can be awkward talking about yourself and hard not to repeat, stammer or say errr a lot so practice will help. PM me and I'll send you a list of practice questions.

This message was sent using my thumb.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
If possible, get your mum or (preferably) your dad to run you through some practice interviews - parents are never afraid to ask difficult or socially awkward questions! If you can get through a few of these without squirming in your seat, you should be ok for your interviews.

If you go into your interview with the 'honesty is the best policy' attitude, with the understanding that they could ask you some very private and uncomfortable questions, you will be ready for it. If they then don't ask you awkward questions - winner!!

TG9opsy

LAC
The best advice would be to answer any questions honestly except if you're asked if you've ever tried illegal substances. Ever tried weed? Not in the interview you haven't! As far as the Corporal interviewing you knows, you've done nothing illegal ever! If you've ever been arrested and/or cautioned for anything you're best off revealing that as you'll be found out anyway if it was within five years.

For some reason I was asked how my childhood was, if I had a happy upbringing. They do poke about a bit and get personal. What your parents do and have done for a living, siblings and what they're up to etc...

Why you decided on the RAF and not the Army or RN will be a big thing. Be prepared to explain why, in detail.

Do some research on Halton. I don't mean its history, but what you'll do there. It wouldn't hurt to learn a bit about your trade, either. You might get a Corporal from your chosen trade interviewing you! It's not unheard of!

There's the usual hobbies and interests questions. Again, be honest, but playing sports and having a massive interest in British military history will impress. Just don't get too cocky! You might tell fibs about being knowledgeable about World War II to a World War II expert and end up looking a right ****.

They take references from previous employers quite seriously. If you were properly **** and lazy at one of your jobs, just don't say you ever worked there. Give them names and addresses of the places where you were amazing and where your boss loved you!

That's about all I can think of apart from be clean shaven and dress to impress. Rock up with stubble and in jeans and you've ****ed it from the off.

Use one of our mottos... "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail" and you'll be fine. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Hi, OP here.

Thankyou all for the responses and there was a "good luck" in there somewhere too. Thanks.
I have been studying a lot about the core values and ethos. Also about RAF bases and there roles, my friend also suggested aircraft that have come into service in the last 10 years, but I could only find a few. Eurofighter FGR4 and the atlas a400. Also to get upto date on current RAF affairs and previous affairs. Whilst I can find stuff about previous I have been trawling the Internet trying to find current and haven't done a very good job of finding much out. When I applied I also went and bought myself a book called How2Become which has also been a big help. I like to think I'm a relatively smart guy Aswel so was not going to turn up in jeans and be unshaven haha but a nice suit with smart shoes :)

once again thankyou for your replies. And if there is any other things you think I should be researching please let me know.

Thanks

TG9opsy

LAC
Hi, OP here.

Thankyou all for the responses and there was a "good luck" in there somewhere too. Thanks.
I have been studying a lot about the core values and ethos. Also about RAF bases and there roles, my friend also suggested aircraft that have come into service in the last 10 years, but I could only find a few. Eurofighter FGR4 and the atlas a400. Also to get upto date on current RAF affairs and previous affairs. Whilst I can find stuff about previous I have been trawling the Internet trying to find current and haven't done a very good job of finding much out. When I applied I also went and bought myself a book called How2Become which has also been a big help. I like to think I'm a relatively smart guy Aswel so was not going to turn up in jeans and be unshaven haha but a nice suit with smart shoes :)

once again thankyou for your replies. And if there is any other things you think I should be researching please let me know.

Thanks

Well done on the research so far. Good stuff! No doubt you'll visit the Falkland Islands and maybe even get posted to Akrotiri in Cyprus at some point in your career. Read up a bit on the RAF's roles there.

I know the lads mentioning integrity mean well, and integrity is one of the Core Values. However, don't for one minute think you're joining a team 100% full of trustworthy and respectable people. Airmen and officers alike fail CDTs (compulsory drugs tests). People steal wallets and phones from the gym. Wives cheat on their husbands and vice-versa. Keep in the back of your mind that humans are humans no matter what their profession and you won't be disappointed.

TG9opsy

I know what your saying I have visited my friend at his base before and witnessed some of the people there and thought how can you be in an organisation like this? Lol also heard some of the stories he has told me too about drink driving on base and things like that and thought surely they are not like that in the RAF but like you said humans are humans you get all kinds of people through all different walks of life. But I will not let it deter me as I'm sure it was just a few lol.

TG9opsy

LAC
Don't get me wrong, you'll make some brilliant friends for life, some you'll trust and love like a brother. You'll have massive respect for most higher ranking personnel. 99% of them will help and guide you as best they can.

My boss at the minute, a Squadron Leader, is a brilliant woman; very easy going and very aware of her duty of care. We've just had a Warrant Officer recently retire after 42 years of service. He could answer any question about anything RAF related. An absolute gent, a fountain of knowledge and, most importantly, all the time in the world for anyone with any concerns.

I'm not saying abandon all hope, ye who enter! But the drink-driving thing you mentioned... just recently had an SAC charged for that, lost his license and had a massive bollocking! Last year there was a Sergeant busted back down to Corporal for fighting in the mess. Bad thing for him was he was an air traffic controller. No one can control below SNCO. There's been parties in the officers mess that have gotten out of hand and there's been **** and vomit all over, with toilets and sinks smashed. Lads have failed CDT's. There's even been police raids on married quarters. All the **** that happens in civi life happens in the military. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Last edited:
I guess it was just a shock. For me and I'm sure a lot of others when you think of the RAF you think of proper British gentlemen like the guy you mentioned. And I'm sure there are still a lot of them people around but times have changed and so have the people so it is to be expected. Not to say that there are not gentleman know a days either. They are just few and far between lol Regardless of the few individuals I really cannot wait to join and I and everyone who knows me has everything crossed for me to get in. :)

TG9opsy

LAC
It's good that you can't wait to join. Make sure that shows at the interviews.

You'll enjoy it. Just play the game by the rules at Halton and phase two and it's all good from there.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'd suggest that you know your way around all that's contained on this website:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/currentoperations/

Along with that, I'd suggest that you read a quality paper for at least a week before your interviews start (something like the Daily Telegraph). Read every bit in the defence columns and try to remember the defence correspondents name - that really impresses if asked.

Ping

@Foghorn Leghorn I have tried to send you a private message twice I don't know if you have received it or not?

also I have just been to my mums house where I thought my GCSE certificates should be. And I cannot find them. Is it a huge necessity to take it with me? I didn't do amazingly at school so haven't put that I achieved something like 12 A's, 6B's. It was more like 3D's 1C and an E grade. Any advice on this situation?

Thanks

Dam. So my interview that is in 8 days time. Will I still be able to attend without the certificates and try and get them to them at a later date? As in I might have to apply to get them re sent to me which I'm assuming could take weeks 😟

TG9opsy

LAC
You've got a bit longer than your interview time to get your certificates sorted. You won't need them until you go to do your aptitude test a bit further along the line. That's where you'll take the aptitude test, produce documents like birth certificate, passport and your exam stuff etc, and fill out a few more forms like a tattoo proforma.

AQA can help you get a fully certified statement with your results on. Not certificates, but the AFCO will accept them...
http://www.aqa.org.uk/help-and-contacts/past-results

More info here from the .gov site...
https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate/who-to-contact

Like Downsizer said, you do need to let the AFCO know of anything you're missing and let them know you're on the case of sorting it out.

Thankyou once again for all the replies.

and tg9opsy once again thankyou for your very informative replies you are a big help.

I have notified the AFCO about the situation. I have also been to my old school and got a record of my results which the AFCO said will be acceptable for now. I have also paid nearly £80 for the replacements that should be with me within the month :)

Tg9opsy I have had a look at your career which didn't come up when I was applying for some reason otherwise I could of put that as my second choice as it also looks like a rather interesting job Do you get to travel much?