• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Half Warrants

P

ponderosa69

i have had enough of this talk of WO2 in the RAF if u want to be a WO2 go and join the f**king army

A

Almost_done

You may find as the sun sets on the RAF you may do join the AAC as part of AT or SH, with the fast jet boys becoming part of the RNAS again. See the post about the OFT, we are being dragged down the pongo route slowly but surely (or should that be surly?).

For the bean and money counters with the MoD, 2 Forces rather than 3 would be easier to manage (Humm okay bad choice of words there Hah, miss-manage), look at the procurement of all RAF Stores/Kit/Spares comes from the Army Budget now! Remember a few years back when we were unable to get Blue Uniform, as the Army don't use it so they didn't procure it!

I have been part of SH now for 14yrs and the Grunts would still love to get us (Techies & Aircrew) and our A/C under their goverance, just to be their personal battlefield Taxis. The Army can't handle the technical aspects of operating a modern Battlefield helo see the cluster happening at Wattisham, how many RAF Techs volunteers have been drafted in to assist them? Anyone recall the Army requesting personnel to to cross over in the 90's from the Technical trades with promises of Sgt Rank etc..... as long as you did the basic infantryman's course 1st?

Not trying to be a Techy biased post here, so don't flame me for that plse.

Last edited:

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Grumpyoldflight said:
Isn't it about time we had WO2s? The navy introduced the WO2 rank last year. so why is the RAF dragging its feet?

It's about time Flight Sergeants were recognised for the work they do!!

Looked into this as a bit of a project last year. Problem is that we are not going to recruit more manpower, therefore the only way to get a "WO2" rank is to down grade some WO posts and upgrade some FS posts. This means less promotion from Sgt, with a knock on below. The same arguement comes with L/Cpl, if we instigate that rank we need to lose some full Cpl slots, the only benefit would be to the bean counters as they could fill WO and Cpl slots with WO2 and L/Cpl, less wages, more savings! Our rank structure works fine within the RAF, it becomes a problem on joint Ops. However I find that by (patiently) explaining to the Brown jobs, that shouting at me doesn't get the job done quicker and the Matelots that, contrary to popular opinion, it isn't my turn in the barrel we get along nicely. If the lads are having this problem then it's up to our SNCO's to grow a backbone and inform our military cousins of the way and the light! By the way Ponderosa, if you have nothing consructive to say Ferk off to the fight club and to all of you who insist on using the abbreviation CPL, look at how I put it in this post, the correct way! (Same with SQN)

Tanktops

LAC
Be careful what you wish for...

Be careful what you wish for...

Grumpyoldflight said:
Isn't it about time we had WO2s? The navy introduced the WO2 rank last year. so why is the RAF dragging its feet?

It's about time Flight Sergeants were recognised for the work they do!!

What makes you think you'd not be equivalent to a Staffy then?
If you want parity, the army would really push to have you equivalent to S/Sgt.

I've seen a Staff Sergeant standing in the mess at Shaibah who's sole dutywas to tell people to roll their sleeves down (at dusk), but I cannot imagine a F/S happily fulfilling that role.

Tanktops

LAC
Stax said:
...However I find that by (patiently) explaining to the Brown jobs, that shouting at me doesn't get the job done quicker ...(

Always wear blue ranktabs - they're a perfect randomtask deflector!
Stops you being Pongo'd.

C

Cat of Shadows

I can't believe what I'm hearing!!!

I can't believe what I'm hearing!!!

So, for the sake of parity and sooner than applying a little testicular fortitude in rank, we are discussing the most outragous of subtle suggestion that I think I have ever heard............the introduction of the L/Cpl and WO2 ranks in to the RAF!!!!

Pse answer me the one question which appears to have been overlooked here....................How would anyone justify it after the decision to chop the Jnr and Chf Tech ranks?

And before someone says "that only affected the Gingers", stop and think about the long term case, prior to this decision, that the Int An's various had to get Jnr's and Chf's awarded within their rank structure.

Pick yourselves up fellas'. Yes, the Army and Navy are senior services to the RAF, but that does not provide them with the right to ride rough shod on equivilant ranks within the RAF. If your a Flt Sgt, bloody well stand tall, you're all more than a match for any SSgt!!!!!!!!!!

Trenchard would be turning in his grave!!!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
goatblower said:
other trades?....outside techies?.....are you sure???? I have heard of such things but when I am at work at 2 in the AM, all I see are techies........

Don't forget the stackers that you leave sitting in the Sqn Stores when Rects forgets to tell them to knock off in their rush to get home! :( (Yeah it has happened to me...moan over!) :)

As for the rank thing, do as Stax says, grow a backbone (or get one from stores)stand up tall, look 'em in the eyes when you're speaking to them. No retreat, no surrender! :D

Last edited:
F

Fablon biff chit

Norman the Storeman said:
Don't forget the stackers that you leave sitting in the Sqn Stores when Rects forgets to tell them to knock off in their rush to get home! :( (Yeah it has happened to me...moan over!) :)

As for the rank thing, do as Stax says, grow a backbone (or get one from stores)stand up tall, look 'em in the eyes when you're speaking to them. No retreat, no surrender! :D

At least that's a thing of the past - no sqn stores anymore! Praise lean.

Cat of Shadows said:
So, for the sake of parity and sooner than applying a little testicular fortitude in rank, we are discussing the most outrageous of subtle suggestion that I think I have ever heard............the introduction of the L/Cpl and WO2 ranks in to the RAF!!!!

...Trenchard would be turning in his grave!!!

Once upon a time the RAF had WO1 and WO2 ranks and as Aircraftsman and Leading Aircraftsman were proper ranks we had a comparative rank structure. Aircraftsman = Private/Seaman, Leading Aircraftsman = LCpl/Leading Rate.

As I've said many a time on this subject, make LAC a proper rank and SAC/SAC(T) a timed/trade ability related promotion with a comparative rank to that of LCpl.

J

Jag Fag

Norman the Storeman said:
:D

Not on my shift, I always inform the stacker when I'm locking the hangar - just out of courtesty (and he'll set off the alarm if he leaves after me :rolleyes: ).

Our SQN still has resident suppliers (they are helpful when approached with good manners) - are you from the soon to close RAF C*******ll Norman?

Sqn stackers are a dying breed at my unit. Regular visits from a very busy forward delivery section is the order of the day from now on.

Lean, you've got to love it.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Jag Fag - No mate, I served my time on Sqn Stores at a lovely little unit in the arse end of Lincs with fecking noisy swing wing arrows of death...great days! :D

H

HilstonPols

WO2? no ta!

WO2? no ta!

Why would anyone want to have such a naff rank as WO2. Come on!! Just cos the RN and Pongos have them doesn't mean we have too as well. I love being a FS, confusing the hell out of daft Pongos who think I am a Staff and even thicker Fisheads who pronounce it Ef Es!

We are the RAF after all we are meant to be different.

Promotion in TG9 is pathetic, I should know I have to teach the poor little darlings who have been in for 5 minutes and are expected to be SNCOs. As a previous poster said the TG9 promotion system was thought up by (surprisingly enough) some Zob who got promoted on the back of it. He got the plaudits and we got to try and clean up the resulting mess.

Thats' my 2peneth anyway.

A partially Old and not at all grumpy FS

Sandbag

LAC
Reinventing the wheel

Reinventing the wheel

What goes round .... the RAF had the WO2 rank from 1918 to 1939.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Sandbag said:
I'm pretty sure the Rank was "Flight Sergeant Major" from the RFC not WOII. We screwed up when the word major was dropped and any chance of an acknowledged equivalence with WOII was lost along the way (and it saved on pensions)

The Air Force Board recently looked at re-introducing the rank but the Navy beat them to it with the introduction of WOII for their Charge Chief Petty Officers (FS Equivalent for Techies). The Navy then realised to legalise the pensions for people in service it had to pay the treasury back dated extra pensions contributions for those who had been in the previous Rank to help pay WOII pensions with seniority, that was a significant Bill for the Navy. The Bill would have been massive for the RAF and that signalled the end of the latest WOII debate.

T

The Controller

Hilston Pols
A partially Old and not at all grumpy FS
...since when have YOU been partially old???? :p

Sandbag
...Jeez! That's from nearly 20 past 7 to nearly 20 to 8!!!!!! :)

...anyway, all the WOs can ALL rest easy now as they have been given the recognition they deserve with those luvverly new 'indicator' rank slides!

"...Danger...this Warrant Officer is reversing....."

'course...if all the knackered old WOs (15 years plus) were to retire....it might give the likes of Hilston Pols a chance!!! (there goes that pig again....) :p