• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gen on Kandahar

H

Hoof_Hearted

OK, slightly Off Topic for the detail of this particular thread, but here goes.

WTF does the TLA MTP stand for which keeps cropping up in this thread? The Goatopedia doesn't list it, and I'd like to add it to it - but if it's on a K2K basis, let me know and I'll WMFNI . . .

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
OK, slightly Off Topic for the detail of this particular thread, but here goes.

WTF does the TLA MTP stand for which keeps cropping up in this thread? The Goatopedia doesn't list it, and I'd like to add it to it - but if it's on a K2K basis, let me know and I'll WMFNI . . .

Multi-Terrain Pattern. The new UK cam pattern based on Multicam with a hint on DPM.

Currently issued to those deploying to Ghanners and will be the pattern on the new kit (PECOC) that is replacing CS95.

I know this is an old thread, but does anybody have any updates?

I'm due to go after crimbo and any info would be much appreciated!

cheers

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Vee2

Corporal
Can't help a great deal on KAF. This is more Bastion-specific unless stated for KAF.

The important stuff....

Smokes - cheapest are at the Danish PX, $20 fr 200. If you get lucky they'll have what you like, if not they're only $25 in the NAAFI. Avoid the US PX on LNK if you're a tabber, they're bloody expensive. In KAF they're even cheaper, think I was getting 200 marlboro lights for about 16 bucks there.

Driving - Make sure you have your FMT on you at all times, and that you are logged as a driver in the wagon you've got, and also make sure you've been to MT to get your FMT updated with whatever you need to drive (even having Tata 4x4 put on your FMT). The fuzz are starting to stop people and checking docs. Don't almost run over the MTO, that will get you a six month ban going by what happened on KAF a few weeks ago.

Kit - people are turning up without being issued their ballistic glasses, GET SOME, they are mandatory and on Bastion the only authorised eyewear I believe.

I think the desert rats type MTP hats are still frowned upon (possibly banned? Dunno, I never had one).

Don't buy foot powder from the NAAFI, get to the med centre and in the corner of the waiting room there's usually a load of Mycota for anyone to pick up. Don't take too many, we all need some.

Buy a hard drive online before you go, much cheaper than in the NAAFI etc.

MAKE SURE YOUR BOOTS FIT! - One of our lads last year got trench foot because he hadn't realised his boots were about 2 sizes too big, so was wearing 2-3 pairs of socks and his feet went rotten.

If you're gonna be running, make sure you wear your lumi belt, I believe torches might now be mandatory but nobody ever stopped me for not carrying one. Run AGAINST the traffic, that may be simple but seriously do it, there are some terrible drivers out there and I got clipped twice at night. If you're running towards them, you can at least see them. Running on the roads with headphones in is banned, but if you do it at night nobody will see. ;) Be careful though.

Best cookhouse by far is Bastion 3, they have some cracking theme nights too. Leatherneck is okay, especially if you like ice cream. You just have to sign in with your name and unit there. Lots of free cans of coke etc too.

You are not allowed to tailor your gardening hat, but the tailor will do it for you for about 15 dollars. Take your beret, you may need it.

There's probably more, but that's it from me.

feckinG RANT

Corporal
This is about KAF, which is generally more laid back than Bastion. The food is better at Bastion though, and you don't get rocketed, as far as I know anyway.

Tabs are $15 from the Dutch BX just behind the boardwalk, you can cheap local ones (L&M) though for $6.

All the tips about driving still apply, it;s much busier though with loads of locals driving everything from small cars to battered and dangerous looking trucks.

Unlike Bastion, shirts can be worn out and non-issue shades can be worn. You need to issue specs or goggles though for RSOI (enjoy that barral of laughs!). You don't need webbing or your face welly, not sure if your kit list will have it though, so up to you on that one.

The tailor at KAF will trim the brim on the floppy hats for free, you can wear them KAF.

There is rocket attacks, maybe 1 -3 a week or so. It's a big camp and the attacks are random, not many have been injured and even less killed. You get used to them and they're more of a pain than anything else so don't worry. Do your drills etc, but at the end of the day if it's got your name on it...

Assuming you're staying on the main Brit part, Cambridge Lines, you'll be in a portakabin style block, the rooms have air-con and usually sleep four. The toilets and showers are fine but the legroom on the throne is an experience.

All in all KAF is easy-peasy, there are much worse places out there. The only thing that Bastion does better is the food, the food at KAF is not very Brittish, more American. It's ok though, and really you're not going to find an easier deal.

Vee2

Corporal
The only thing that Bastion does better is the food, the food at KAF is not very Brittish, more American. It's ok though, and really you're not going to find an easier deal.

The food at KAF is just strange, it's like they're trying to cater for everyone and doing it badly. They'd be better just picking what they want to do and going with that. The US food in theatre on bases like Bagram and Leatherneck is very good with loads of choice and it's good because they stick to what they do best, American food. The same goes for the messes at Bastion, they do what they do best which is mainly Brit food, or at least food we Brits like, such as curries etc. KAF is more of a jack of all trades, master of none.

That said... it does all get very samey after 6 months. Even when I was able to choose between Brit and Yank messes, it still gets boring.

W

WorkingClassHero

Whats the ablutions like?? Communal showers or individual ones??