• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Freeeeedom! The Scottish Independence Thread

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
That's on a 63% turnout of a total electorate of 4,280,785 so she got 30% of the Scottish electorate in favour of her plans and 31% against. It could be close...... Although this election wasn't supposed to be about independence, wee nippy made it clear that she would go ahead if she got a majority so she should be nervous that 70% of the electorate were not prepared to come out and back her....

On the flip side, 70% of the electorate were not prepared to back the Union, and using your theory, only 37.4% of the UK electorate voted for Brexit.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
On the flip side, 70% of the electorate were not prepared to back the Union, and using your theory, only 37.4% of the UK electorate voted for Brexit.
I don't dispute any of that.... Brexit was decided by a simple majority of those who voted, Scottish independence could be decided the same way and I was making the point that it could be a close vote that she cannot be certain of winning.... (& neither could the pro-union side.)

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Maybe this time there should be 2 questions on the ballot paper this time

1. Do you think Scotland should be an Independent nation

2 If Scotland becomes an Independent nation should it Rejoin the European Union

Nippy seems to think that because in the EU Referendum Scotland overall wanted to stay and as a country 'it's being dragged out of the EU against it's will' and we need a new Indi Referendum because of that, what if loads of Scots have seen how dysfunctional and antagonistic they've been since the UK voted to leave and after.

What would she do if the vote was to NOT to rejoin the all powerful, magical entity of the EU!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Maybe this time there should be 2 questions on the ballot paper this time

1. Do you think Scotland should be an Independent nation

2 If Scotland becomes an Independent nation should it Rejoin the European Union

Nippy seems to think that because in the EU Referendum Scotland overall wanted to stay and as a country 'it's being dragged out of the EU against it's will' and we need a new Indi Referendum because of that, what if loads of Scots have seen how dysfunctional and antagonistic they've been since the UK voted to leave and after.

What would she do if the vote was to NOT to rejoin the all powerful, magical entity of the EU!
She’d have another referendum until people voted the right way.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
That is why a NO Vote will be the last day of her time in office.
She be there with a pair of scissor cutting up the Union flag so she can fly the EU flag instead. Also possibly have a ceremonial burning of the other Union flags collected postal free. She would never concede both the referendum or power.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I read a promising solution today.

Let them have a referendum BUT they must agree to terms first:
If there is a No vote - no "indyref3" for a minimum of 25 years
If there is a YES vote:
1. Scotland to pay its share of National Debt
2. Honest publication of Scotlands financial status should they vote yes
- a. No Barnett support
- b. No fiscal support/subsidisation from English Parliament
- c. No NHS subsidy
- d. No control of Sterling/GBP
- e. No Bank of England support
- f. No UK lawmaking participation
- g. Nuclear Defence ownership is English
- h. Any hard border is at Scotlands expense

Last edited:

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Sensible and valid list of items that Sturgeon needs to explain in plain simple language to the Scottish people how the SNP will cover those off financially before an independence vote is held, but she won’t, for starters she would not be able to explain how they will make up the loss of the £32 billion a year from the Barnett formula, even if the EU fast tracked them back into the fold they certainly would not cover any of those costs.

I think she knows all this but she want’s independence so much that she will use those as ammunition to goad the Scots into a fervour over English blackmail and sabotage for not helping her and them to succeed on their own.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Are we missing the elephant in the room? Is the burning desire for Independence nothing to do with economics, politics, Nicola Sturgeon or anything other than the simple fact that some Scots (Certainly not all) have deep seated dislike of the English. They simply don't wish to be connected in any way with the hated FEB's. They would happily live forever in poverty if it was Scottish poverty and if they could wake up every morning and give two fingers to the hated FEB's they would be in their happy place.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Are we missing the elephant in the room? Is the burning desire for Independence nothing to do with economics, politics, Nicola Sturgeon or anything other than the simple fact that some Scots (Certainly not all) have deep seated dislike of the English. They simply don't wish to be connected in any way with the hated FEB's. They would happily live forever in poverty if it was Scottish poverty and if they could wake up every morning and give two fingers to the hated FEB's they would be in their happy place.
Possible a deep loathing by a good percentage and very very very bad education on history between the two nations might tip the scales. Like many fellow service personnel here, they've had tours in Scotland during their time, might have some anti English. Frankly I think the only honest time, I had of a raise heckled was at RAF Saxavord. When I had a friendly chat with a native Viking on the camp on Scotland, for which the viking blood from his angered heckles, informed me of his dislike of Scots. For which me being Anglo-Saxon and himself Viking was novel, as we respected each other position and withdrew from the battlefield or MT section as it was then. But this did a raise a good point in regards as to the passion of separation. As and avid follower of Vikings sorry Shetland Islanders outcome and generally keep in touch by internet, the sound opinion is Shetlanders would prefer to go the channel Island route than independent. This would put a little spoke Frau Sturgeon financial moth riddled purse as oil production is still key and fishing is high on the catch list.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Did tours of both Scottish and Welsh stations.

Some of the local welsh RAF types that (were based at their RAF Next to Mum station) were staunch anti English and were all looking forward to getting out of uniform and back into the local community so they didn't have to ever speak English again.

However, the local school that my kids went to taught in English (but taught welsh as a second language) as the headmaster was slightly more outward thinking and was aware that there was a wider world than just north wales. and the kids should be fully prepared to leave the enclave one day.

The local scots RAF types were happy they were in Scotland and welcomed most everyone into the community. A lot of them barely speak actual English but you got used to that.

Loved Scotland, loved Wales but for very different reasons.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Wasn't leaving the EU the worst thing ever?

So Scotland leaving the Union should be the worst thing ever?
'The worst thing ever?'

No, not really. I'm sure it may have been to some people, but my life hasn't changed one iota since Brexit and I'm 98% sure that Scotland leaving the Union will have a similar effect.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
In light of the ardent campaigning from SNP and followers of the cause to separate the union. Is there no equal campaign on the benefits to England Cymru and Northern Ireland. Considering the Scots feel we English are the enemy in their eyes, then only argument surely is we should depart with good cheer. Quite sure nay certain other nations would profit from the extra cash created. I try to do my bit in not buying from Scotland if I can help it. Turn off TV programmes related to Scotland and the people, or not listen to radio that have Scottish presenters or people they interview. I'm happy to see Scotland go independent.;):cool::ROFLMAO:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Respect Democracy I heard her and others say, I agree, respect the No to Independence vote just a few years ago.

I’m neither Scottish nor live in Scotland so I don’t experience her leadership, however, some of the stuff in the press makes me wonder why more people vote for the SNP rather than another more reasonable party.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Respect Democracy I heard her and others say, I agree, respect the No to Independence vote just a few years ago.

I’m neither Scottish nor live in Scotland so I don’t experience her leadership, however, some of the stuff in the press makes me wonder why more people vote for the SNP rather than another more reasonable party.
Because the SNP is a giveaway government - free prescriptions & no university fees amongst others, iirc. And they get more UK taxpayers cash per head than England does; so you may not be Scottish nor live in Scotland but you are paying for Scottish lifestyles...