• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Free Mess Dress for Newly Promoted Sgt's

M

Mickwreay

Well, here we go again, another pie in the sky incentive to retain personnel and make them feel valued. Those lucky enough to reach SNCO status by Apr 1st will be given a £250 grant to assist with the cost of Mess dress purchase. In the future ('in a galaxy far far away' no doubt) Mess Dress will be issued on promotion. Those promoted before Apr 1st or wishing to replace their existing Mess dress will not be eligible.
Call me sour (I am not eligible, I paid a fortune for mine 5 years ago) but would this money not be better spent on defence procurement for the boys on the front line? :pDT_Xtremez_25: Once again our leaders seem to misunderstand the needs of the good old british tommy!

You are spot on there mate, all that will happen is everyone will get a mess dress even if they only use it once!

I bought a second hand one for £50 in 2001, I used it for Bruggen final summer ball, then sold it a couple of years later having used it once.

This is another total waste of funds that could buy some poor front line troops the kit they require.

R

Rolf Harris

Anyone who gets taken in by this 'generosity' is a bigger fool than those proposing it. It's another ill-conceived answer to a non-existant question.

I agree with Mickwreay, it's a complete misuse of money.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Anyone who gets taken in by this 'generosity' is a bigger fool than those proposing it. It's another ill-conceived answer to a non-existant question.

So keeping the ethos and values of the SNCOs mess is a waste of money?

Get over yourself - it's good to give the youngsters something to aim for - unless staying in the NAAFI bar getting bitter and twisted is what they want.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Off Topic

FFS Rolf are you the grim reaper in disguise ? You have not had a positive word to say since you joined the Goat! Do we have another Alter Ego in the wings ?

Back on subject, lets hope for a crash in the second hand market, mine is getting a little tight around the edges!

R

Rolf Harris

I've changed my mind. I think it's a fantastic idea. Money well spent, if you ask me.

Back on subject, lets hope for a crash in the second hand market, mine is getting a little tight around the edges!

Have you been keeping it in a dark wardrobe?

I find that is the problem with mine. Whenever I put it in the wardrobe, it must shrink. It seems to be a little bit tighter every time I put it on.

mick-a-nick

Corporal
Nec aspera Terent - Mine suffered the same problem, the jacket and trousers shrunk but the bow tie still fits.
Good people, something else to remember about 'Mess Dress' - As you go from Sgt - Chf Terch - FS no problems but when you gey the 'Tate & Lyle' a new Mess dress is required as if you take off the chevron, the area underneath is a different colour / shade.
My replacement cost £400 to be made in barathea. It will be up for a charity donation later in the year.

44Chest, 38 Waist and 32 inside Leg. Short fat sod

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
i'm happy about it as i was wandering where i was going to find the funds to get mine as i will still be in training when i'm in the mess. they look smart and i definately want a set. tbh just subsidisng the cost would've made a big difference.

R

Rustysdad

Get over yourself - it's good to give the youngsters something to aim for - unless staying in the NAAFI bar getting bitter and twisted is what they want.

Collie,

your not seriously suggesting that a £250 clothing grant is going to give a SAC or Cpl something to aspire to?
I agree with you about Ethos and values etc but defence procurement or Gold Chevrons and shiny buttons.........no brainer, its got to come out of a Defence budget somewhere (along with the £15,000 for 8 years service!!)

Hang on, Maybe your right, I belong in the Naafi with the bitter and twisted!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

F

fnusnu

Mess kit issued?

Mess kit issued?

I've been told that you get issued (No.5) Mess Dress during IOT, is this true?
I been told by others that you have to buy it and it was the No.1s you got issued.
If not I'll think I'll start putting more money away just in case (at least I don't have to pay the full cost for SNCO mess kit any more!).

BJW

Corporal

Bitter & twisted in the NAAFI - amateurs. Everyone knows the real bitterness doesn't set in until you reach the WO & Sgts' Mess.

feckinG RANT

Corporal
I've been told that you get issued (No.5) Mess Dress during IOT, is this true?
I been told by others that you have to buy it and it was the No.1s you got issued.
If not I'll think I'll start putting more money away just in case (at least I don't have to pay the full cost for SNCO mess kit any more!).

Conveniently, Officers have to attend a (just one in the whole career I believe?) mandatory formal dinner that is deemed "duty" whilst on IOT; therefore they get issued a free Mess Dress.

My view, it can't be a bad thing that SNCO's get help towards Mess Dress, especially considering the point above. What is wholly wrong is the cut off point. It should be available to all SNCO's, end of story. A grant is asking for abuse too, who owns the Mess Dress and who launders & tailors it? Can it be sold as soon as it's bought etc?

Mess Dress should be available as an issue bit of kit to all SNCO’s that want it. This would stop people taking the grant, buying Mess Dress because they can and then never using it, whist also allowing SNCO's that have previously bought their own to get a fresh one that has not suffered somebody else's pi55 dribbles and fart gas!

I'm really pleased for all the new SNCO's but for me it's a bit of a kick in the slats along with the 5% pay rise thing too, just adds to the reasons why I can't see staying in past 22.

C

cazatou

An interesting point raised by the above poster. Why can't a newly promoted FS or WO get a new mess dress? Especially if they have never owned on and in the case of the WO then surely if they do own one then there will be marks left when the chevrons are removed and the WO badge is placed further down the sleeve.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Barring the grant. Once the contracts are sorted out for issue of mess dress courtesy of the wonderful generosity of Her Madge. Who pays for the tailoring and fitting? As an issue piece of kit surely it should be tailored at public expense.

If that happens then what about all us old sweats with our own mess dress, can we then exchange or have tailored our greying old oufits for new blue ones??

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm one to think about.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Given the anticipated reduction in Manning, is this a bit of a swift kick in the b@lls ?