• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Free Mess Dress for Newly Promoted Sgt's

Robby

Corporal
Stop Press......................

Announced on the Defence intranet today that it has been agreed across all three services that newly promoted SNCO's (promoted on or after the 1st April 09 only) will be entitled to a free Mess dress!

I can't load the link here but check the Defence Intranet, if this affects you it could save you a wedge of cash (about £250!!!!!) It mentions that it will be supplied by the RAF tailoring Service as soon as Contracts can be amended so not the fastest service but the best value you'll get I guess:pDT_Xtremez_30:.

Not much good for the old sweats and the second hand market may just have crashed but good news for the newly promoted SNCO's

The surprise is that its a bit of GOOD NEWS quite a shock really!

SgtScribbly

Corporal
excellent news for anyone that is eligible, will be interesting to see when the cut off is.

wef 1 Apr 09, so if you are already in the mess you dont get would be my guess

Robby

Corporal
That seems to be the way I read it but I don't know if you will get a 'new' mess dress after 6 years or so as you do with a No1.?

The cut off read as on or after the 1st April 2009, and it is across all three services.

Better than most of the kickings the SNCO's have had recently!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

N

NotAnIDOYet

For those promoted before 1st Apr, if you are on IMLC and can get 10 of you needing Mess Dress then pop along to the tailor's place and part with £250 of your finest. Cheapest I have found recently and if you order by the middle of week one they will be ready for the Dining In Night.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
Do you think that if you have been promoted but have not done IMLC till after April 6th you count for a free one:pDT_Xtremez_19:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I looked at the date and was sceptical but it's true DIB 2009/10 has the details. It's a step forward but a bit of a kick in the slats for already promoted SNCO's could have been a cheap retention tool. I mean a lot of little steps could do a lot for morale.

Triple SA

Thread Killer
I bought my shiny mess shoes from Stores at Uxbridge for £20 in 2001 - have they gone up in price that much since then?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is this a back door way of trying to encourage fresh SNCO's to attend, what I've seen in my time, generally poorly attended mess functions?

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
This is just another case of the pink and fluffy way of doing things. They'll be promoting women next.

Mightierthan

Corporal
Is this a back door way of trying to encourage fresh SNCO's to attend, what I've seen in my time, generally poorly attended mess functions?

Probably, and hopefully it will succeed. No matter what the reasons behind it, every new SNCO is a winner.

It's always good to have a little kudos about being promoted otherwise there is nothing to aspire to; the money ain't much these days and the chances are you have to take a crap posting so every little helps!

Now, for us old uns, how about free replacement pipe & slippers...

Here's the link to the document (might only work on IGS)

http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil...missionedOfficersncoMessDressUniformGrant.htm

And... From within the document;

"6. The RN, RM and RAF intend to replace this grant with the issue of a Mess Dress uniform once their clothing contracts are suitably amended. Because of the wide variety of Army Mess Dress uniforms, the Army intends to retain the cash-grant system."

I read this as meaning that once the RAF has sorted out a suitable cheap taiolor's contract, then the mess dress will become an issue item.

Not sure how this will affect those who have already bought their own mess dress.....

BJW

Corporal
Hate to buck the trend of all the previous posts but I think this is a total waste of money. If you want to go on the p1ss all dressed the same you should pay for it yourself. Don't know how many get promoted to sgt each year but I reckon this latest initiative is going to cost over £250k a year. There must be better things to spend the money on, ac spares spring to mind!

Mightierthan

Corporal
Hate to buck the trend of all the previous posts but I think this is a total waste of money. If you want to go on the p1ss all dressed the same you should pay for it yourself. Don't know how many get promoted to sgt each year but I reckon this latest initiative is going to cost over £250k a year. There must be better things to spend the money on, ac spares spring to mind!

yeah but wouldn't they be a bit uncomfortable and heavy to wear at a top table?