• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For the older codgers amongst us

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Some distant memories there. October/November 1977 for me.

Worst bit I remember was lining up outside the med centre for the jabs and the Rocks who thought they were the messengers of the gods...

foxOneFive

Corporal
1981. The “only just beginners” song. Rocks kicking me up the arse. “thankfully just kicking?”
Them bloody push pull floor buffing things and the crème la crème…..The Pti’s checking us all out in the communal showers! Scared for life!
Grey ovies were still just around tho. The Lightning that was there then is now at Flixton “I believe? Maybe wrong” here http://www.aviationmuseum.net/ImageLibrary/OurAircraft/Lightning.jpg

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
June 75 - also Gibson Block...but thats all I really remember about the place

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Bit later for me - Dec 89 to Jan 90....3 Sqn No17Flt......think I was in Manser block by the Main gate.......

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Jan 71 for me; 9 Flight, cannot remember the H Block I was in But "Knocker Ward" was our DI

Last edited:

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Dec 84 - Jan 85 3Sqn 13Flt Cheshire Block....From the rear door, first floor on left, first bed on right.
Mr SCJ

Feb 79 for me, X country in the deep snow, walking around Lincoln in No1's Happy days looking back. 102K personnel when I joined, down to middle 30's, that's progress I guess.

Digzster

Sergeant
28th May 1978 for me. Must admit, the photo from the OP of the gas chamber made me retch again.

I always remember the pig of a rock ape making sure that you got a good lungful on the way out.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
April 1971 for me - the only thing I seem to remember is too much marching, wearing the poncho's in the rain and getting stabbed about 3 times in each arm all at once by the Med Centre staff!!!

January 1971 for me, memories of a cold R and I camp in Sherwood Forest, never did get to meet Robin Hood either. In best blue delivering roller skates to an orphanage or similar type home and helping the kids have some fun with them on Lindum hill in Lincoln.

June 1980 10 Flt, Grey block.

One of our flight was hoping to be an aircrew steward so every time a plane flew over the DI would call out Zoonie (that was the lads given nick name as due to his ears he resembled the monkey off Fireball xl5) you've missed your flight.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Sept 71 can't remember which block! Grey overalls, blue shirt and tie with boots and berets. Marched to med centre to be stabbed in both arms by medics. Then issued with hairy working blue webbing belt and small packs greatcoat and flasher macs!
Remember lots of polishing of shoes, floors done with big metal bumpers.
We had a rockape and a discipline cpl . Decent guys.
Few days in Sherwood Forest too.
Naafi bop with wrafs bussed in from Spitalgate. 🤪
Long time ago.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Feb 77 for this old codg'
"Hi Ho Silver Lining..."
Coo, that brings back memories of the bop at Binbrook and Luqa.... I joined in '76 at nearly 17 so tracks like that were part of my formative years.... (I'll think you'll find the words were Hi Ho silver LIGHTNING & I see your AVONS burning.... - they were at Binbrook anyway :D:D!)