• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness test levels dropping

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Medical Admin, imho, get away with far more than clerks do - possibly because I don't think they ever managed to intrude on the territory that belonged exclusively to the technical trades (in their eyes anyway). If you think PSF was closed more than its open, try rocking up unannounced at SMC and demanding half an hour of someone's time without an appointment!

Generally, I found their attitude stank. OOA Prep sheets refused to be signed unless it was at a certain time on a certain day was one particular source of irritation for myself as a HR manager who had around 40 of his Sqn on Ops or preparing for Ops at any one time. I lost count of the man hours lost because the med centre staff were unavailable to sign a prep sheet for various reasons - none of which were because a major medical incident had occurred that necessitated their immediate attention.

However, the coup de tat for me was in 2013, when I was deploying to Al Udeid. Having spent the past 20 years keeping myself up to date with all baseline jabs, and liaising with numerous med centres over numerous years on ensuring that my Sqn personnel were also up to date, I was taken aback when told that I could still deploy without a Typhoid jab, even though it was a baseline jab and a requirement (as per the AP) for that area. The reason they gave was that it was out of stock, but they wouldn't sign a document stating that they were sending me to an area that required this jab without this jab and any subsequent illness as a result of this non-jab would be attributable. I found out that my local Boots had stock and for £15 would inoculate me, so I did just that. I went to claim the £15 back via JPA and suddenly found the practice manager and OC PSF on my case demanding that I sign a waiver to absolve the MOD of any blame should I get sick! Unsurprisingly, I refused to sign any waiver (just like they had done).

The med centre concerned was Wittering.

Curius

LAC
Do you not have to meet the fitness criteria once you're in?
I'm in process of applying and we have to get green minimum to even be considered, but they really want light blue/dark blue standard. How long can you fail your fitness test for before you get the boot whilst you're in? I thought you had to pass it always or else. Unless you're injured of course

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just getting embroiled in medical administrative stuff.

Just getting embroiled in medical administrative stuff.

I've just been unfortunate enough to have to have become embroiled in a medical administrative nightmare. Through no fault of anybody but my knee.
I'm sat in a neurologist unit in QMC in Nottingham awaiting a bed at Abby ward Lincoln county hospital. My question was to the bean counters why if I'm in the area can't I use headly court ?
Apparently if you're not on ops your place isn't supported (funded) surely this is wrong? And can be changed by an admin change

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm in process of applying and we have to get green minimum to even be considered, but they really want light blue/dark blue standard. How long can you fail your fitness test for before you get the boot whilst you're in? I thought you had to pass it always or else. Unless you're injured of course

There are ways of working the system. I can say due to positive factors my RAFFT hasn't flagged for 5 years and the first RAFFT I have done was Nov Before my permissive land survival course
And my sea drills.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Sounds like 'grow bag' speak to me.

Ah, that sounds about right!

That reminds me (pull up a sandbag). I was in a meeting with Special Branch and some Squadron OC's discussing security. One of the SB guys mentioning basic PerSy and not to wear flying clothing/uniform when shopping, picking up kids from school etc.

However, the SB guy couldn't think of the name for the growbags in the room and said, "you know, your er..... overalls"

That went down really well among the room, "OVERALLS!". :)

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I've just been unfortunate enough to have to have become embroiled in a medical administrative nightmare. Through no fault of anybody but my knee.
I'm sat in a neurologist unit in QMC in Nottingham awaiting a bed at Abby ward Lincoln county hospital. My question was to the bean counters why if I'm in the area can't I use headly court ?
Apparently if you're not on ops your place isn't supported (funded) surely this is wrong? And can be changed by an admin change

A lot of the problems comes down to which Trust you belong and the vagaries of the new Clinical Commissioning Groups as to who will fund your treatment. I was referred for a wrist ganglion whilst still in the RAF only to find that once I'd left the funding was gone and I'd have to start the whole process again. Another issue, in your case, is that with Headley Court currently in the process of closing perhaps the clinical staff have already moved elsewhere.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Whilst working as a Practice Manager I always tried to instill the staff with the ethos that we were there to serve the personnel on the Station, tried at least. I doubt the situation will improve, not now the RAF Medical Services come under the control of the Army.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I can see the issues. I take the place on an RRU brain injury course and Sapper bloggs gets dropped by a sniper in Kabul. The press will have a field day . Especially as my aneurysms happened in a RRU course for lower limbs. I've always said that my dick ran my body. Or would if it could.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I can see the issues. I take the place on an RRU brain injury course and Sapper bloggs gets dropped by a sniper in Kabul. The press will have a field day . Especially as my aneurysms happened in a RRU course for lower limbs. I've always said that my dick ran my body. Or would if it could.

And in English?

FootTapper

Sergeant
Ninjarabbi:
*******s. Utter useless *******s and I say that as a medic of 34 years. If I had an SMO or Med Bds staff who did any of that I’d smash their heads off a desk. You should have had an x-ray as a start, I’ve never heard of a ‘bone bruise’. As to not able to be referred just because you were in your last 6 months? Sounds more like the **** couldn’t be bothered with the (minuscule) paperwork. Again, *******s.

In their defence.. I did get sent for an X-Ray, and the report came back "No significant bony abnormalities"

At that point they decided it was a "bone bruise" - confirmed as being the most likely cause by at least one doctor, a nurse, the physio and the RI.

On a side note, the doctor did spot that I have flat feet at the same time, and gave me some orthotic insoles which would have made running far less unpleasant (if I didn't have an ankle injury, of course)
One of the physios insisted that my issues were all down to to the flat feet and completely unrelated to my ankle - no matter how many times I tried to explain that the "Really painful ankle" symptoms" arose at almost exactly the same time as the "fellow armourer jumping on my ankle" incident....

He knew best, of course, as he was a physio and I'm not.

I did appreciate the irony in my knee/shin pain during running (flat feet) being totally cured as an indirect result of me getting an ankle injury which prevents me from running :)

kevster

LAC
I don't believe a word of it. Any cures, alleviation of symptoms, or indeed any level of performance you managed to display during a RAF Fitness Test or any other physical endeavour, was purely down to the wonderous amount of tea that you drank.

The rest is, at best, merely smoke and mirrors.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant

Yes, you still have to maintain your fitness to the minimum standard (ie a pass, the colours are largely irrelevant except for SJAR bragging rights). However, if you're injured / damaged, fitness tests go out the window until you're properly healed. If you're damaged beyond repair (depending on your role and the type of damage) you may still be able to see out your current contract. Either way, you'll be expected to maintain a respective level of fitness to the best of your ability. Look up Rockport Walk.

If you're a fat slob who doesn't know where to find the gym, and has krispy kremes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, you should expect numerous bollockings and trips to the OC / remedial PT until you're fit again. These days, it's a long slog and a paper trail to kick someone out for being unfit (particularly if they're actually putting the effort in), but if you don't like doing phys then maybe you're looking in the wrong place for a career?

Sniffer

Super Moderator
but if you don't like doing phys then maybe you're looking in the wrong place for a career?

What? You are saying there are people who actually like doing phys?

Freaks I tell you. Freaks!!

To support my utter distain for phys, I can honestly say I have never injured myself to the point of being broken for Ops/Ex/Dets by sitting on my fat Wraf A$$ eating a chip butty.

Can all the sports billies say the same about their chosen past times?

I rest my case 😁

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

rocket scientist

Sergeant
^^^^^This - I absolutely detest sport/gym but my lifestyle & diet keeps me fit enough to pass the (not very hard) fitness test). OK, I did have a few weeks off once because of a horse-induced collar bone injury but apart from that, I've put in more man hours to my primary duty than the sport billy's do.

dctyke

Corporal
^^^^^ and may I add, as a tm I lost folks to sports participation even on pre planned exercises. When the SENGO said they couldn't do sport he just got outgunned. Always relied on the five beers a night lads n lasses for ops n stuff.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
"If you think PSF was closed more than its open, try rocking up unannounced at SMC and demanding half an hour of someone's time without an appointment!"

I was reminded of just how much the RAF closes on a Wednesday afternoon during a visit to St. Athan yesterday for my fatness test.

Whilst I was there, I decided to pop into the Med Centre to explain that I was posted from my remote unit 2.5 hrs away and that I was only parented by SA for certain stuff so I would not be clearing, therefore did they need to know my posting date in order to forward my docs.

The time was 13.10, and I was met with a big closed sign on reception and a civilian receptionist sat behind it. Even as I walked through the door, she pointed to the sign and shouted "CLOSED". I said that I was aware of that but I had a question that would take 30 seconds of her time at most. As she got up and walked away from the desk she said "we're closed every Weds afternoon", so I shouted my question to her as she walked into the adjoining office. At which point she turned round and said "It doesn't matter anyway because everything is on computer nowadays and will flagged when you arrive at you next unit". So I thanked her (sarcastically) for being incredibly helpful and went to the dental centre next door where an SAC couldn't have been more helpful.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
1. I am saying that fitness is a prerequisite to effective leadership in the RAF
2. You are saying that leaders need not be fit.

You are obviously incorrect.

If you had a day of Service behind you I'd laugh my head off. How silly your remarks make you look!

Should you ever join up, and make it to a course called JMLC, you will learn something.
Should the cadets not release you, then keep gripping it son, it's just as good as the real thing.