• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness test levels dropping

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Been going around.

That lass failing the Reg selection because it was too physically demanding.

Recruitment and retention on its arse, a fatty in uniform is better than nothing.

Anyone heard anything solid?

UlsterExile

Sergeant
The Female failing RAF Regt Training should have nothing to do with current RAFFT levels. The Regt have their standards and should not be lowered just because one female hugely underestimated the fitness required to be in the RAF Regt.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
They might just as well dispense with it altogether, because looking around the air force it seems to me that if you don't want to do the fitness test and just want to become a disgusting landwhale, the system exists for you to do just that.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Make it so that if you want to benefit from promotion or pay rises you take and pass it...If you do not then you don't bother with it. Then you have a definitive list of under-achievers to snag for sh1t deployments and they have less excuses to twist a sock before they go.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
But what about those who are injured? What about those injured through service?

I don't know what the answer is, but a blanket pay cut will not work.

What about the fairness of the Fit Test? Females want equality, including pay, which is only right, but yet they have to do lesser tests - it;s also been proven they cannot do the same jobs as some of their male counterparts.

Have a fitness test, but one that is fair to all and most of all relevant!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
But what about those who are injured? What about those injured through service?

I don't know what the answer is, but a blanket pay cut will not work.

What about the fairness of the Fit Test? Females want equality, including pay, which is only right, but yet they have to do lesser tests - it;s also been proven they cannot do the same jobs as some of their male counterparts.

Have a fitness test, but one that is fair to all and most of all relevant!

They do it when they get better? I am saying you ask an individual a simple questions...'Do you want to do the fitness test and potentially surge on or do you not want to do it and just get on with your life/job without the prospect of moving up the ladder or benefitting from a pay rise?'

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The sad thing is no one wants a blob alongside them on Ops and it is exactly the guys who bother to put the effort in who will get stiffed, time and time again for the real work.

That said, what you might say (as per the officers) is;

1. If you want to get promotion, you need a 6 month Ops tour under your belt.
2. If you want an Ops tour, you must be be at least in date green.

Or put another way and for whatever reason, if you're not fit enough to operate, you're not fit enough to lead.

Dazzy26

Corporal
The sad thing is no one wants a blob alongside them on Ops and it is exactly the guys who bother to put the effort in who will get stiffed, time and time again for the real work.

Or put another way and for whatever reason, if you're not fit enough to operate, you're not fit enough to lead.

So would you use exactly the same criteria for those that are medically down-graded but if deemed fit can still be promoted even though in many cases they cannot deploy?

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer

Or those who are in a trade where the turn around time is circa 6 years?

FootTapper

Sergeant

To go on my last tour I had to have an argument with the Med Centre who couldn't understand why I'd want to go when I was downgraded, unfit RAFFT (service injury)

Cue much discussion in PSF...
"You can't deploy"
"Why not?"
"You're unfit RAFFT"
"That's ok, my war role does not involve performing RAFFT"
"That's not the point"
"No, that is exactly the point..."

I deployed, we won the war and kept the free world safe, I returned and took redundancy - went to the Med Centre to clear...
"We just need you to sign this upgrade paperwork"
"Oh really? So you've managed to fix me then?"
"No, it's just we can't discharge you while you're downgraded, so we're upgrading you"

I'd never failed an RAFFT in my life, had to go to compulsory PT because people were failing them, got injured and then never had to do another one.
If the RAFFT was in any way fit for purpose then me being Unfit RAFFT should have barred me from deployment (glad it didn't though) otherwise what is the point of the test?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts

Or those who who are injured but exceptionally brilliant at their job? Including the ability to lead. I can think of a few at my work who are able to run between 2 cones for several minutes but:

1. I wouldn't trust them to lead a Dog.
2. Are thick as f*ck, go into a blind panic as soon as any responsibility comes their way and should not be anywhere near aircraft.

Last edited:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I deployed, we won the war and kept the free world safe, I returned and took redundancy - went to the Med Centre to clear...
"We just need you to sign this upgrade paperwork"
"Oh really? So you've managed to fix me then?"
"No, it's just we can't discharge you while you're downgraded, so we're upgrading you"

I'd love to know which med centre that was because many, many people are discharged whilst downgraded! The idea, if your injury was caused by service and likely to affect you once you leave is to refer you for a medical board so the circumstances can be documented and your medical employment standard confirmed.

Standards have obviously slipped......again.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Or those who who are injured but exceptionally brilliant at their job?

Get uninjured. Long term injury is incompatable with leadership in my view, otherwise you might as well join BAe.

What happened to soldier first and tradesman second?

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Are we not talking about in the OP a failure to be prepared for the training. Like everyone here who joined up whether Swinders or others basic training facilities you prepare first. Clearly anyone wanting to join the regiment would have guessed in a small way the training is harder for a reason. Besides the whole purpose of promotion is the RAF needs you because you fit the requirements.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts

Where would you like me to start?

Pensions, Pay2000 / 2002...., 9+ years of below inflation pay increases with associated increases in SFA/SSFA Charges with allowances cut to the bone, made to feel like a criminal when claiming for costs on duty....the continued denial of 'We are OK with such huge manpower cuts' until multiple DASORS flew up the chain to force change, and even then Denial was apparent by the leadership (Anyone read 'A Perfect Storm' in Air Clues?) Pay Protection, NEM, the Adminers reaching the higher pay band, the realisation that if you have the guts, absorb the lessons and take the training given you can walk into much better things on the outside.

It's not the 1940's anymore and the RAF needs to realise what it loses long term, when it passes over refusing to promote those who've worked their guts out for years, digging in and covering for those sh1ts who are a danger to themselves, let alone when entrusted to lead others (Oh but they can run between 2 sets of cones....well **** my tall hat). There is a breaking point, and it was reached by many in TG1 ages ago.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Where would you like me to start?

Pensions, Pay2000 / 2002...., 9+ years of below inflation pay increases with associated increases in SFA/SSFA Charges with allowances cut to the bone, made to feel like a criminal when claiming for costs on duty....the continued denial of 'We are OK with such huge manpower cuts' until multiple DASORS flew up the chain to force change, and even then Denial was apparent by the leadership (Anyone read 'A Perfect Storm' in Air Clues?) Pay Protection, NEM, the Adminers reaching the higher pay band, the realisation that if you have the guts, absorb the lessons and take the training given you can walk into much better things on the outside.

It's not the 1940's anymore and the RAF needs to realise what it loses long term, when it passes over refusing to promote those who've worked their guts out for years, digging in and covering for those sh1ts who are a danger to themselves, let alone when entrusted to lead others (Oh but they can run between 2 sets of cones....well **** my tall hat). There is a breaking point, and it was reached by many in TG1 ages ago.
Being put out in the field now for a few decades do the RAF still do Field Promotion anymore. I remember a couple of chaps who had this and having skill levels being higher than some standard CPLs in the same trade their pay for was higher.

Being intelligent enough to walk past the Army desk in the CIO, this has never been the case in the RAF. Our war role isn't a rifleman, it's putting kites in the sky.

I'll concur with what others have said I know plenty of gym bunnies who have struggled in the heat of Ops, and plenty of Fatties who've been fine. Since when has VO2 Max and fitness been a direct correlation anyway?

And I find it hilarious how the site's resident eye'ore harps on about Leadership. I'd much rather work alongside a competent, positively minded fatty; than work with an RAF FT current constantly sniping, negative tw@t :pDT_Xtremez_06:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Being put out in the field now for a few decades do the RAF still do Field Promotion anymore. I remember a couple of chaps who had this and having skill levels being higher than some standard CPLs in the same trade their pay for was higher.

I've never heard of it taking place in the RAF but only the other month a chap in the Army was given one after impressing his Grand Fromage with his ability to lead.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/soldier-receives-first-field-promotion-since-1953