• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Motorbike

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Well 3 months on and I went for the Ninja on page 1, too much of a good price to resist. It's a ZX6r not a 636, not sure on the difference, it's an older model with a newer front end slapped on as well as some other mods. As for riding it, not had a problem yet (touch wood) the weight of it surprised me compared to the ER5 I learned on but a few laps of camp got me used to it, I've also been riding well within my limits, especially as one of the lads had a bad accident last week (shout out to him, get well soon not really good enough)

One thing I need to remember is to put the stand down before getting off, once it starts falling it doesn't stop

Last edited by a moderator:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Well 3 months on and I went for the Ninja on page 1, too much of a good price to resist. It's a ZX6r not a 636, not sure on the difference, it's an older model with a newer front end slapped on as well as some other mods. As for riding it, not had a problem yet (touch wood) the weight of it surprised me compared to the ER5 I learned on but a few laps of camp got me used to it, I've also been riding well within my limits, especially as one of the lads had a bad accident last week (shout out to him, get well soon not really good enough)

One thing I need to remember is to put the stand down before getting off, once it starts falling it doesn't stop

Got any tips for the Direct Access test? I have my Module 1 test mid-July and Module 2 early August - and I've heard that its about to undergo a bit of a change - any pointers?

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Got any tips for the Direct Access test? I have my Module 1 test mid-July and Module 2 early August - and I've heard that its about to undergo a bit of a change - any pointers?

On part one where you do the slalom and figure of 8 go as wide as you need to if you mess it up so you don't hit the cones.. My figure of 8 was massive but I only got black marked for it. On the U turn don't look at the lines, face the direction you want to end up, like hitting a golf ball. I looked down at the last moment and paniced and almost fluffed it. Even though you are in a car park remember lifesaver checks before every manoeuvre.

Part 2 is a piece of cake, just remember lane discipline and watch road signs, you are allowed in bus lanes for example in certain areas. Again lifesaver checks before you do anything.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
You get 2 goes at it, my 1st was 51kph, 2nd 50kph (50 is the pass) cane it until the speed gun and then throttle off as you pass it. Unless you take the loop really fast you will need a lot of throttle in the distance you have to get up to 50 so don't be shy

FootTapper

Sergeant
Well 3 months on and I went for the Ninja on page 1, too much of a good price to resist. It's a ZX6r not a 636,

It looks like a J model - ZX600J - the 636 of that shape was an A1P model - ZX636A1P. Essentially the same chassis but with the slightly larger engine.

Great bikes (the 636 has more power and midrange, but the J model 600 was still a good bike) not too twitchy or lively that it will spend all it's time waiting for a chance to kill you. A lot of people find them very comfortable to be able to do distance on, they're not hard to fit luggage on either making them pretty practical.

Like any bike with low bars they can be uncomfortable round town. The best trick is to keep your elbows bent and sit at the very front of the saddle. Keeping your elbows bent stops you just supporting your weight on your arms (and knackering your wrists) as it makes you use your core to hold your body upright. Do the same "bent elbows" thing when you're riding round on the open road too, it helps seperate throttle and steering from reactions to bumps etc - when you're braking you should be supporting your body by gripping the tank with your knees and using your core, not by locking your arms and putting braking forces through the bars.

You might well know all of the above, if so then sorry to patronise :)

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Yeah the guy I bought it from converted it from a G model to look like a J. Took me a good few weeks to figure out a good riding position that didn't knack my wrists, 300 mile trip up north gave plenty of chance to experiment

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Yeah the guy I bought it from converted it from a G model to look like a J. Took me a good few weeks to figure out a good riding position that didn't knack my wrists, 300 mile trip up north gave plenty of chance to experiment

Did the conversion include sliding it down the tarmac at a great rate of knots?

Last edited:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I don't mean try to teach you to suck eggs, but I'm going to anyway :pDT_Xtremez_15:
Buy a good set of leathers and a very good hemet. You might not get a second chance to buy one. As Pie said, you will likely go up the road during your first two years. Better to gain some scrapes on your leathers than your ar$e!

As the South Wales Police motorcyclist that was kind enough to share his roadcraft knowledge taught me, always be wary the first rainy day after a dry and sunny spell and never, ever, overtake near a junction.

Fairynuff31

Corporal
I don't mean try to teach you to suck eggs, but I'm going to anyway :pDT_Xtremez_15:
Buy a good set of leathers and a very good hemet. You might not get a second chance to buy one. As Pie said, you will likely go up the road during your first two years. Better to gain some scrapes on your leathers than your ar$e!

As the South Wales Police motorcyclist that was kind enough to share his roadcraft knowledge taught me, always be wary the first rainy day after a dry and sunny spell and never, ever, overtake near a junction.

If there was ever some good gen that a newbie biker needed to hear, these points ^^^^^ are two of the best.

After a long hot summer, the road surface will have accumulated a fine layer of rubber, oils and other stuff. When it rains this stuff seems to be lifted off and becomes the best frictionless lubricant in the world! For the unwary, a hard breaking slow down into a junction on a wet or damp day will GUARANTEE a slide down the road on your ar$e!!!

Be safe, have fun on two wheels and enjoy the freedom.

Whilst not a pocket rocket, my Deauville is a good ride.

SideView3-1.jpg

Last edited:

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
For me, rain = car. I know one guy who can't drive and rides to work in all weather including snow. That's just bonkers

A

afc4life

For me, rain = car. I know one guy who can't drive and rides to work in all weather including snow. That's just bonkers

It's not bonkers if you enjoy it and ride to the conditions.

A lot of guys don't ride because of the damage the salt and cr4p on the roads does to the bike.

D

divorced again

You can't go far wrong with a CBR 600, my first bike was a ZZR 600 which is more of a tourer and I wish I had bought the Honda!!

You will be spoilt for choice with a CBR, there are hundreds to choose from. They are easy to ride and cheap to run.

I do know someone selling one if you are still looking out for something??

delboy

SAC
DO NOT get a brand new sports bike, like silly old me. Got a gsxr 600 2010 and after owning it for a mere 6 weeks with 300 miles on the clock I threw it at the nice scenery in north yorks, gutted. that was a year ago now and i've just started to get back on the thing, only has 800 miles on it now, and will never be new. inexperience caused this and a new bike for a new rider was the silliest thing I could have done

Parky

Corporal
Horses for courses in the 600 class in my opinion.

My serious suggested first bike would be the bandit 600 for the following reasons.
Easy to work on bomb proof oil cooled engine
Lots of cheap spares available for the inevitable drop (I don't know anyone who did not drop thier first bike even just moving it around a garage myself included)
They are not as mental as sports 600 or even the hornet and a bit more forgiving.

I am sure there will be those that disagree and have thier own preferences, I would also suggest against the sv never liked the bike personally but as a twin it has the unforgiving engine braking that all twins have drop the gears and it's like hitting a brick wall

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I got myself a Hornet - one of the newer ones with ABS, and I'm loving every minute of it....its a good intermediate bike, very forgiving and with a fair bit of poke.... have been riding around the local area at between 50-70mph - one of the more ridiculous sites was on a stretch of dual carriageway, getting overtaken by two lads on sports bikes doing at least a ton, whilst only wearing shorts and a T shirt....

Parky

Corporal
never, ever, overtake near a junction.

Mate of mine did this to a car on Friday, car did not indicate she was having an argument with her passenger and looked to be pulling into the side of the road and instead pulled across his path to enter the exit side of a garage, result 2 broken feet.