• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Motorbike

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I'm sitting a direct access motorbike course in a couple of weeks and am wondering what would be a good starter bike for myself. I fancy something sporty looking but no so powerful that I'll kill myself in a few weeks. So far I've enquired about Suzuki SV650's, Bandits and CBR600's.

Anyone else got any suggestions for a bike in the 600cc, £1300 catagory? Or anybody know someone who is selling one for around that price?

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
I'm sitting a direct access motorbike course in a couple of weeks and am wondering what would be a good starter bike for myself. I fancy something sporty looking but no so powerful that I'll kill myself in a few weeks. So far I've enquired about Suzuki SV650's, Bandits and CBR600's.

Anyone else got any suggestions for a bike in the 600cc, £1300 catagory? Or anybody know someone who is selling one for around that price?

Consider an air cooled Yamaha Diversion, air cooled simple as a brick to work on, nose fairing to keep the wind off, cheap as chips to buy, insure and repair

http://www.visordown.com/reviews/mo...yamaha-xj600s-diversion-1993---2003/1236.html

B

billy bollox

I had a 2003 Bandit 600 when I did my DAS 2 years ago. Great sitting position and easy to ride. Since upgraded to VFR800 but the Bandit was good learning machine.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Obviously a man with taste, unlike myself:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I prefer the lower down grunt of a twin. The SV has good write ups and sounds a bit Ducati'ish.

Whatever you get, ride the hell out of it. I can't wait for Spring to get out proper on my new old toy

Last edited:
D

DafLad

SV was my first "Big" bike and would also recommend. Low down grunt and lovely v-twin sound... Plenty enough power for a newbie to play with for sure.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Avoid an old diversion like the plague! You'll soon be very bored of it.
You won't go far wrong with a Bandit or an SV650, though beware of corrosion.

P

pie sandwich

I think the most important thing about your first bike is to get something you don't mind dropping, because chances are your gonna fall off within your first 2 years and knock bits of your bike.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Got my eyes on this little beauty, going to go and have a look tomorrow

Attachments

• ninja bike.jpg
    ninja bike.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
ninja 636 wouldn't be my first choice of a first bike.

Recommend a twin and like others have said the Suzuki sv should be an ideal first bike to make all those mistakes on, and you should get a better bike for your money.

I must admit I don't like 600 inline fours to revy for me, I prefer the benefits of torque over little bits spinning fast to get speed. Of course for a first bike anything will seem fast.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
ninja 636 wouldn't be my first choice of a first bike.

Recommend a twin and like others have said the Suzuki sv should be an ideal first bike to make all those mistakes on, and you should get a better bike for your money.

I must admit I don't like 600 inline fours to revy for me, I prefer the benefits of torque over little bits spinning fast to get speed. Of course for a first bike anything will seem fast.

Agreed. I prefer the mid range grunt of a twin, puts to shame many a 4 cylinder round town.

Ride what you are comfortable with and don't keep the dry stone wallers and florists employed.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Like most have said SV650 good bike. Handles and stops well. Nice grunty engine that you dont have to rev the balls off of to get anywhere. Cheap and simple to run/fix. Plenty of spares and accesories around. Plus you get a v-twin sound track! Just check for corrosion on brake calipers, front cylinder and downpipe, pitting on front forks and fork seals.

Then after you have had that for a while pop down to a triumph dealer and get yourself a triple!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
That Ninja 636 is a nice bike, but I'd question its suitability as a first bike. Learn to ride before getting a nice sporty little number like a Ninja.
Whats the insurace like?

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
That Ninja 636 is a nice bike, but I'd question its suitability as a first bike. Learn to ride before getting a nice sporty little number like a Ninja.
Whats the insurace like?

£143 Third party fire and theft compared to 68 for the SV. Surprisingly the SV is quicker off the mark than the Ninja. I'm a sensible chap and not interested in the top speeds, my life and license are too important to me.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I have this as a first bike - I know its only a 125, but as someone who had never ridden a bike before his CBT, I wanted to learn the ropes on a forgiving machine that had a tiny bit of gumption, but was unlikely to kill me.....

And its working - my confidence is growing every day, and I'm rapidly approaching the point where I can do my DAS with confidence..

Standing by for hairdryer-related banter ......

R

Radioactive Man

If you are not a 6 footer +, think about the 400 market. You can pick one of these little pocket rockets up for not a lot of money. Pleanty of spares around, still one of the best handling bikes in the twisties and enough power without inducing you to write yourself off int he first year.

Rothmans7.jpg

ZXR1.jpg

NC301.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

SDI_3371.jpg

Last edited:

Stewie

SAC
I had an SV 650s, a 'curvy' one as opposed to the later fuel injected 'pointy' model, 65 ish bhp and soft bouncy shock meant an involving ride at times , especially round north wales, throw on an after market can and take the baffles out for some good cheap fun, also they're easy to work dead forgiving in the handling stakes, cheap to run and insure and sound like a proper bike instead of sewing machine, jobs a good un, have a look here for further info
www.sv650.org
:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Anyone got any tips for the hazard perception test? I can't get near the pass mark with the online tests. It keeps saying I'm cheating