• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

F1 2009- The season opener at Albert Park, Melbourne, Australia.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
F1 2009 World Championship.

Race number 1-Melbourne GP at Albert Park, Australia.

It’s been about 5 months since Brazil and a lot has happened in the world of F1.
We’ve had a radical overhaul of the cars, the rules and regs have changed and they even tried to change the way the drivers win the championship.
A serious overhaul of aerodynamics, the introduction of larger front wings and smaller,taller rear wings, the driver controlled moveable front wing slats and KERS have all spiced it up and made a humongous migraine for the teams and designers. The Formula One Overtaking Working Group sat down and rattled out some cost effective (supposedly) solutions to enable overtaking to return to F1 and what we will see this season will tell us whether they have got it right or not!
Honda have flashed out of existence and a phoenix had risen from its flames in the form of Brawn GP (well the Honda car and team for this season which was designed and made last season and now called BrawnGP instead of Honda!).
Pre season testing has shown us that by having to design entirely new cars the playing field has levelled out a little bit. The front end of the grid is now no longer made up of 2 red cars, 2 silver cars and the odd blue and white car. It now consists of half the field and this season ¾ of the grid have the potential to make the podium.
Off season highlights:
Alonso; will he/won’t he? Well eventually he did, or didn’t, or whatever you thought he would do he didn’t, or did!!! Yes eventually Alonso and Renault let the world know that he would be staying at Renault. Despite all the rumours about Kimi leaving Ferrari and manoeuvres being afoot behind the scenes to swap drivers around, Alonso said he never considered Ferrari because he knew it wasn’t available yet with both Kimi and Felipe still there under contract.
At the end of last season Alonso smashed everyone else. He took more points during the last 6 races than anyone else in a car which was vastly improved as the season went on. Alonso saw this turn round and stayed loyal to Renault in the hope that they could pull it off with a new car. So far testing has looked good, well apart from the odd shunt, and even Piquet seems to have improved his grid position.

Politically this off season has been a belter. Lots of open discourse has been witnessed and reported on in the media with regards to Bernie, Max and FOTA. Even Bernie and Max fell out at one point!

Honda. Jesus! Did that drag on or what? Thank God they finally announced something.
Nice to see Button has a drive and even better to see Rubens further extending his record of most GP starts in F1. Their car has astounded everyone and the front runners are seriously worried. Whether the car has the reliability to match its pace remains to be seen. Only two cars at Jerez beat the Brawn GPs, one was Alonso and the other (believe it or not!) was Nakajima.
The Australian GP.
Australia hosted it’s first GP back in 1985 at Adelaide. This track was usually at the end of the season and was a welcome finish for the drivers because the weather was generally great. Renowned as a good GP the event was always well planned and organised.
The race moved to Melbourne in 1996 and saw a belter of an effort from new rookie Jacques Villeneuve. Recent winner of both the IndyCar championship and the Indianapolis 500 he set about F1 in his typically twitchy car fashion. If he hadn’t have had an engine problem he would have won his debut race, equalling Giancarlo Baghetti.

The track is built around a lake in Albert Park and is pretty fast flowing along its 2.3 miles.
Race winners here aren’t indicative of the rest of the season, rarely do winners here go on to win the championship.
Fastest lap here was back in 2004 from a certain Mr Schumacher 1:24.125.

Timings here this year in GMT/BST. Don’t forget the clocks on Saturday night!!!!

Friday 27
First practice: (0130-0300 GMT)
Second practice: (0530-0700 GMT)

Saturday 28
Third practice: (0300-0400 GMT)
Qualifying: (0600 GMT)
Sunday 29

Race: (0700 BST)
This year sees the GP staged slightly later in the day after an agreement made with Bernie that sees Melbourne retain its GP until 2015. He actually wanted them to stage it even later for the benefit of the European fan base, but Australia said no, or words to that effect!

A short intro really. There has been a massive amount of build up for this season. It will be good to finally get it under way.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to give a warm welcome to any new readers to our F1 threads and a welcome back to you older hands!

Feel free to volunteer your services to writing any of our preview threads. A list of available threads can be found here.

We also have our very own F1 Fantasy League on the Goat this year(thanks to Wobbly) as well as the same one we played last year.
To join the league here on the Goat click here and just follow the joining instructions. There is also a link on the left of the home page in the E Goat Sports box.

For the F1 game from last year click here. Once it is accepting leagues I will create our own E-Goat league and let you all know how to join it.

Also we have denthenmen's fantasy F1 game, details here.

I think that this year is shaping up to be an absolute belter. To top it all off it has returned to the BBC, bring on The Chain!!!!!!!!
This is a linky to their broadcast timings.

I can't find any info on practice being streamed live across the net though. I used to watch it last year on ITVs website but they as of yet don't appear to have any info on it.

Oh well, a short and sweet intro, lots has been said and info is in the various E Goat threads from the past few weeks.
All I would add are a few other links.
Rules and changes Official F1 site.
Regulation changes Planet F1.
Official F1 Site Has a very good little technical section.

Now get amongst it:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Here's looking forwards to an interesting new season.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Excellent opening into here is to another heart stopping year of racing hopefully without politics.

Welcome to newer members and a hi back to the other old hands.

Roll on next week

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
Nice on MM, as has been stated before,

Role on the 29th

The only thing I'm going to miss is that I dont have to get up at silly O'clock to watch the first race of the season. It was a bit of a tradition.

Never mind cant have it all, but we got "The Chain" back.

GET IN

Studley:pDT_Xtremez_30::pDT_Xtremez_28:

G

grumpyoldb

Do it, now! You know it's the future..................

I'm gonna look stoopid if this all goes t!ts up, aren't I?:pDT_Xtremez_42::pDT_Xtremez_31:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Sky+ set just in case, but when there's a telly in the bedroom there's no excuse, I'll just have to set the kids alarms so they can get up and do me breakfast...:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Nice intro as normal...cheers

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks MM on behalf of all who like to watch but may not have the full grasp of the true enthusiast.
Top Post, mate.

Sky+ set just in case, but when there's a telly in the bedroom there's no excuse, I'll just have to set the kids alarms so they can get up and do me breakfast...:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Nice intro as normal...cheers

sky+ is awesome, but im using virgin now.

their v+ box is good, but.........

if you record some live sports and it runs past the finish time, it stops recording!

i missed the last 5 laps of the nascar the other week. gutted.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
you didn't miss much. No lead changes, went to a green white chequered though i think.

Off topic but Bristol 2nite WOOHOO!!! an it's on 17:30

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Thanks MM on behalf of all who like to watch but may not have the full grasp of the true enthusiast.
Top Post, mate.
Thanks for saying so mate.

you didn't miss much. No lead changes, went to a green white chequered though i think.

Off topic but Bristol 2nite WOOHOO!!! an it's on 17:30
I missed Bristol as I was poorly sick yesterday and in bed by 7pm, but its on my Sky+ ready for me to watch tonight :pDT_Xtremez_28:

The weekend seems like its not getting any closer:pDT_Xtremez_42:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
If you've got a digi box or anything that you do the old red button business on BBC get on it!
They're showing Australia race classics and will also show practice sessions from each GP.

Press the red button and then key in 3001 for the sports multi screen. It was option 2 but I haven't been on today in case its changed.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Here we go then, 1st practice, wheels turned in anger, who's on the pace?

Times
01 N. Rosberg Williams 1:26.687 19 laps
02 K. Nakajima Williams 1:26.736 21 laps
03 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:26.750 24 laps
04 R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:27.226 21 laps
05 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:27.453 15 laps
06 J. Button Brawn GP 1:27.467 12 laps
07 F. Massa Ferrari 1:27.642 24 laps
08 T. Glock Toyota 1:27.710 24 laps
09 A. Sutil Force India 1:27.993 20 laps
10 F. Alonso Renault 1:28.123 16 laps
11 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:28.137 20 laps
12 J. Trulli Toyota 1:28.142 21 laps
13 R. Kubica BMW 1:28.511 22 laps
14 G. Fisichella Force India 1:28.603 16 laps
15 S. Buemi Toro Rosso 1:28.785 27 laps
16 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:29.042 18 laps
17 M. Webber Red Bull 1:29.081 7 laps
18 N. Piquet jr. Renault 1:29.461 25 laps
19 S. Bourdais Toro Rosso 1:29.499 21 laps
20 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:32.784 4 laps

I'm currently watching Practice 2 and Rosberg is once again topping the sheets. Could be your year Wobbly.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
2nd practice, Rosberg stayed top. Judging by who is up the front end I'd say the "new" diffusers are working nicely!

Times
01. Rosberg Williams 1:26.053 36 laps
02. Barrichello Brawn 1:26.157 38 laps
03. Trulli Toyota 1:26.350 42 laps
04. Webber Red Bull 1:26.370 30 laps
05. Button Brawn 1:26.374 38 laps
06. Glock Toyota 1:26.443 42 laps
07. Nakajima William 1:26.560 33 laps
08. Vettel Red Bull 1:26.740 19 laps
09. Sutil Force India 1:27.040 29 laps
10. Massa Ferrari 1:27.064 35 laps
11. Raikkonen Ferrari 1:27.204 32 laps
12. Alonso Renault 1:27.232 28 laps
13. Fisichella Force India 1:27.282 32 laps
14. Heidfeld BMW 1:27.317 34 laps
15. Kubica BMW 1:27.398 36 laps
16. Bourdais Toro Rosso 1:27.479 36 laps
17. Kovalainen McLaren 1:27.802 35 laps
18. Hamilton McLaren 1:27.81 31 laps
19. Piquet Renault 1:27.828 35 laps
20. Buemi Toro Rosso 1:28.076 33 laps

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
2nd practice, Rosberg stayed top. Judging by who is up the front end I'd say the "new" diffusers are working nicely!

The three teams with the "dodgy" diffusers must have smiles as big as the gloom that must be hanging over Ferrari and especially Mclaren and BMW!! The cars are all skitish due to the low track temperature and the reduced downforce. It looks as if the very late time of the race and qualifying will produce similar results. It was mentioned that if the diffusers are confirmed as legal, the other seven teams would invariably have to incorporate such changes to theirs, in some case like Ferrari, involving a major redesign and crash test programme. It must also be remembered that nobody can test such design changes apart from straight line testing and GP events!

This weekend looks like a choice of winner from a Japanese team, an ex Japanese team and a team with a Japanese driver!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I think that Hamiltons defence of his title is over before it began, as a 2 second gap to the front runners almost requires a new car!