• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Expectations

So - Before i sign on the line what should I be expecting.

Expectations and reality all comments welcome !! Observing security as mentioned previously.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
The positives: the opportunity to make friends who will be with you for a lifetime. The chance to go places you never thought you would. Doing a job that makes a difference. Being part of something unique.

The negatives: Being told you could deploy for months on end at short notice. Being in an organisation with lofty ideals, but lacking the manpower to do all of it at once. Guard duty.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The negatives: Being told you could deploy for months on end at short notice. Being in an organisation with lofty ideals, but lacking the manpower to do all of it at once. Guard duty.

Fortunately, as a reserve, you won't see any of this with the possible exception of the manpower thing.

The positives: the opportunity to make friends who will be with you for a lifetime. The chance to go places you never thought you would. Doing a job that makes a difference. Being part of something unique.

The negatives: Being told you could deploy for months on end at short notice. Being in an organisation with lofty ideals, but lacking the manpower to do all of it at once. Guard duty.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Thanks for the reply.

Positives - Friends bit is good, worked in london for ten odd years and still dont know anyone was different living on bases as a kid so thats one aspect i find lacking. The people from the intro day have already been emailing etc and so we seem to be bonding already which is great.

Negatives - I hear you on this but frankly I am lookng for a change so deploying not a big issue. What is worrying however is the lack of manpower as stated and from reading on here it is a big concern!. Why is guard duty bad? lots of standing around?

Fortunately, as a reserve, you won't see any of this with the possible exception of the manpower thing.

Cool have been told that deployment will be 3 - 6 months uk wide then abroad if needed but only after all training but there does seem to be a rush to get them done and out the other side as they are needed app.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Thanks for the reply.

Positives - Friends bit is good, worked in london for ten odd years and still dont know anyone was different living on bases as a kid so thats one aspect i find lacking. The people from the intro day have already been emailing etc and so we seem to be bonding already which is great.

Negatives - I hear you on this but frankly I am lookng for a change so deploying not a big issue. What is worrying however is the lack of manpower as stated and from reading on here it is a big concern!. Why is guard duty bad? lots of standing around?

For the most part its not actually that bad....just on occasion when its raining, cold and over Christmas you begin to wonder why you are doing it....but as stevienics suggests you might not do it....

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It depends upon your trade. Some trades are well established as modularised Reservist training, some not so much. Deployments are called mobilisations and are usually 3, 4 or 6 months but can be up to one year. You need to be phase 2 trained as a minimum.

"Where" depends upon the need. Our mobilised guys are used at home and abroad at the moment. There is indeed a big push towards using Reservists on the more enduring operations, where the fit appears good. Early days yet and we are being assessed as we try this out.

Non-mobilised taskings can also be accomplished for shorter periods, where the budgeted training days allow.

For the most part its not actually that bad....just on occasion when its raining, cold and over Christmas you begin to wonder why you are doing it....but as stevienics suggests you might not do it....

I am 'informed' reliable or not that over the 4 weekends you take a 'turn' ?? so probably am. Don't they have little hut things?

It depends upon your trade. Some trades are well established as modularised Reservist training, some not so much. Deployments are called mobilisations and are usually 3, 4 or 6 months but can be up to one year. You need to be phase 2 trained as a minimum.

"Where" depends upon the need. Our mobilised guys are used at home and abroad at the moment. There is indeed a big push towards using Reservists on the more enduring operations, where the fit appears good. Early days yet and we are being assessed as we try this out.

Non-mobilised taskings can also be accomplished for shorter periods, where the budgeted training days allow.

Thanks for that.

Entropy

Sergeant
+1 for everything above. Plus the laughter, lots of laughter on my Sqn. I believe that Ints were in Afghan so chance to travel is likely. Also we are now on the new contracts so could be used for domestic events (filling sand bags in the rain etc.) but haven't heard of that clause being used yet.

I have been in for 6 years so things may have changed. So you will sign on the list and spend about 3 weekends at your unit learning how to dress and march, then it's a 2 week residential at Halton learning weapon drills, CBRN and first aid. It's then back to unit for some final basic training (our Sqn runs a consolidation exercise). To get to the end of basic is about 6 months of effort

That will be basic training done and after this you will move onto your phase 2 training (trade). This is where you will learn to be an Int Analyst or whatever trade you go for. This takes approximately a year and can be a real commitment to learning your trade as well as commitment to attending.

Once you have completed phase 2 you will be on your Sqn and will have probably made some good friends on the way.

+1 for everything above. Plus the laughter, lots of laughter on my Sqn. I believe that Ints were in Afghan so chance to travel is likely. Also we are now on the new contracts so could be used for domestic events (filling sand bags in the rain etc.) but haven't heard of that clause being used yet.

I have been in for 6 years so things may have changed. So you will sign on the list and spend about 3 weekends at your unit learning how to dress and march, then it's a 2 week residential at Halton learning weapon drills, CBRN and first aid. It's then back to unit for some final basic training (our Sqn runs a consolidation exercise). To get to the end of basic is about 6 months of effort

That will be basic training done and after this you will move onto your phase 2 training (trade). This is where you will learn to be an Int Analyst or whatever trade you go for. This takes approximately a year and can be a real commitment to learning your trade as well as commitment to attending.

Once you have completed phase 2 you will be on your Sqn and will have probably made some good friends on the way.

App some people complained about my postings so wont be but appreciated and welcome advice thanks.