• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cyprus - Your Posted End Of???

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
So. My Cyprus tour is coming to an end. This is the first time I have been here. I have enjoyed it but it will be my last time here I hope. A lot of guys I know are Cyprus veterans of 2 -3 tours but even they will not be volunteering to coming back. There are many reasons for this I know but the biggest one is the increased Barmy Army influence and all the 5h1te that they bring with them. I work in a Joint establishment of Engineers while their contribution is some useless Eejits with pace sticks.

My point is this. TG4 Aerial Erectors are posted here. No volunteering Just posted.

Can anyone see an occasion within other trades when the ACOS Manning just tells you that "your posted to Cyprus to meet service need"?

Is it trade dependant?

I await your thoughts, stories and rumours etc.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Pluses and Minuses

Pluses and Minuses

I have had two tours out there, and I must admit I would take a third if my circumstances changed, however, I feel the Joint (lets just call it Army) environment spoils the working day. Towards of my last tour out there we were merged with (taken over by) the Army and it went from being nice at work and nice at play to being crap at work.

I don't know what it's like now but as I was leaving they were trying to nose in all the clubs, which I hope they haven't spoiled.

I still think the off duty time more than makes up for the duty time, however, what with more people buying their own homes, having/needing two earners and having nice cars, I feel that people may be less likely to pack it all in over here for 3 years over there, it's not all sunshine after all.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Euro and PAYd hasn't helped, I've avoided dets to Aki like the plague since they both came in.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
All valid points gents and I thank you for your contribution.

Are there still plenty of volunteers from your trades to come out here on a 3 year tour or is ACOS Manning struggling to fill the numbers??

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Are there still plenty of volunteers from your trades to come out here on a 3 year tour or is ACOS Manning struggling to fill the numbers??

Plenty of volunteers for overseas slots in my trade.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
For TG4 (currently CIS Tech) there is a lot of gapped posts being created due to Cyprus drawdown.

There is I understand a lack of TG4 volunteers esp in the rank of Sgt to come here although I stand to be corrected if anyboday has any up to date gen.

I for one would not take the chance of being sent here again to end up in Joint (Army) command at a certain base. Fortunately where I work is all blue suits although we come under Joint (A) command.

Even Aki is being dominated by the Army to a certain degree.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
I did a 3 year tour out there on VAHS, getting back to the uk about 18 months ago. I can honestly say (because VAHS were 'contolled' by CSSU) the management of the RAF boys was shocking! I wouldn't tell the army how to run a battlefield...... so how can they run an airfield? They couldn't, didn't have a clue and would use instant in field promotions to have the highest rank in asection so they could control it.
I'd still go back, but as it took 16 years to get there first time i really don't think i have much chance of getting back! But the influence of the army is a put off.... One genius at Epi decreed to his personnel that all mail was to be addressed to Akrotiri Garrison at one point!
Rant over for now.....

:pDT_Xtremez_44:

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Would not be surprised if they changed the name of RAF Akrotiri to British Forces Akrotiri in the future!!!

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
That one did't last long, someone accidentally forwarded the e-mail to the staish!
The big long stretch of tarmac where planes land and takeoff was the giveaway for the name of the place.:pDT_Xtremez_34:

duffman

Flight Sergeant
so few people in TG1 have been posted out there, it's still seen as 3 year holiday, with just a few slots on vass it's very rare anyone in TG1 is posted out there, army managed to f5ck vass up as well? knobs.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Is it the new system?

Is it the new system?

I think its more luck of the draw now?

We (TG4) seem to have a few slots still overseas.

You see it advertised and you have to be quick have seen a few SGT slots come up but they always seem to be filled or someone ends up moving accross.

I knew of a coppper who got told he was going over there even though he hadn't applied.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
so few people in TG1 have been posted out there, it's still seen as 3 year holiday, with just a few slots on vass it's very rare anyone in TG1 is posted out there, army managed to f5ck vass up as well? knobs.

Really? seemed to work okay when I was visiting in July...

I did a 3 year tour out there on VAHS, getting back to the uk about 18 months ago. I can honestly say (because VAHS were 'contolled' by CSSU) the management of the RAF boys was shocking!

VAHS isn't part of CSSU anymore...