• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ched Evans - The Continuing Story

Kryten

Warrant Officer
It looks like Oldham Athletic have decided against signing convicted rapist Ched Evans following threats to the club's "staff and their families". At the same time, Evans has apologised "for the effects" of his actions in 2011 but continues to maintain his innocence over his rape conviction.

Despite the fact that he was tried and convicted by a jury of his peers he has served his time accordingly, so the question is - should he continue to be punished? I find it interesting because of the fact that the killers of Jamie Bulger have had anonymity to start new lives, yet this guy will probably never work again - at anything.

Over to you, Goaters.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
In a word... yes.

He has not shown remorse for his actions and despite overwhelming evidence and being found guilty by a jury... he still claims innocence.

For some obscure reason, footballers are held by many as role models... is that really the sort of role model you want you kids to follow? a guy who thinks he is above the law and can do what he wants? a rapist?

The guy is beneath contempt and to be honest, if I had my way he would still be rotting in jail. Rapists are on par with kiddy fiddlers in my book.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Just to be clear I do not condone his actions in any way - and I actually agree with your first point in that he only seems to be showing remorse now that a 2nd club has turned him down; and even then it comes across as half hearted.

I am just interested to know what people think about the ongoing reaction by asking at what point is an offender truly rehabilitated and accepted back into society? Are rapists, murderers, thugs etc ever truly forgiven or is it true to say that a stigma will be attached to them for the rest of their days?

briggfairy

Sergeant
I'm a bit torn over this case, part of me says that he's served his time and should be allowed to get on with his life, the same way as lee hughes and mccormick and rix were.

there is also the issue with the conviction, yes he was found guilty but some of the evidence is a bit dodgy, the victim accused both men of rape but it turns out that she was so drunk / high that she couldn't remember that one of the acts was consensual and therefore the defendent was found not guilty.

however he is no role model and should not be, even if he is cleared on appeal he still went to a hotel room with a drunk teenage girl so that he could take advantage and cheat on his girlfriend (who still stands by him for some reason).

is it better for him to be out of work and claiming benefits for the rest of his life or should he be free to make a living and contribute to society?

for me the latter is a better choice

Spurdog

Corporal
In a word... yes.

He has not shown remorse for his actions and despite overwhelming evidence and being found guilty by a jury... he still claims innocence.

For some obscure reason, footballers are held by many as role models... is that really the sort of role model you want you kids to follow? a guy who thinks he is above the law and can do what he wants? a rapist?

The guy is beneath contempt and to be honest, if I had my way he would still be rotting in jail. Rapists are on par with kiddy fiddlers in my book.

His case is currently being reviewed. If it turns out that his conviction is deemed ‘unsafe’ and it gets overturned, will you and the rest of the rent’a’mob we see in the media stand up and apologise?

Apart from that, the man has been to prison and served the time he was expected to serve. He might be a complete pr1ck but why should he be denied the chance to make a living from his chosen trade. Should we stop convicted gas engineers from fixing our heating in the future?

Oh, and there is no apparent sign that the police intend to do anything about the rape threats made on social media to members of the Oldham’s boards families. The double standards we are seeing with regard to law and order in this country are deplorable.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
He hasn't served his time though. He has served half his sentence in custody and the other half is being served under licence. Until the second half is complete he is still a convict under sentence.

It is amazing that the FA have given life bans from all football grounds to a few supporters of a London team for chanting anti Jewish stuff but someone convicted of a heinous crime in a court of law is allowed to carry on.

Somewhere along the way the FA have got their scale of wrong doings 4rse about face.

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
What the hell have I got to appologise for?

I was asked for an opinion.. I gave it. If his conviction does get over turned for some reason, my opinion of convicted rapists isnt going to change one bit. They are still scum of the earth and should be pillored from society.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Does he have a case for legal action untie rehabilitation of offenders act? He has served his time/serving his remainder on license for his crime so is he not entitled to be employed? Is this a form of discrimination?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Its not his choice whether he is employed or not.. its the employers.

Employers are businesses and as such are in it for the money. If bad PR is attracted by employing or even talking about employing someone like Evans and sponsors (money) and customers (money) pull out... this damages their revenue stream.. and that is bad for business.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
In a word... yes.

He has not shown remorse for his actions and despite overwhelming evidence and being found guilty by a jury... he still claims innocence..

"Overwhelming evidence"? ...Interesting take on things here -->https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2015/0...nt-youre-being-given-by-the-mainstream-media/
Maybe he carries on claiming he's innocent because he actually believes he is innocent. Maybe all he's guilty of is actually bad judgement. I wasn't there so I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and judge him one way or another but something smells a little fishy to me.

lawman

SAC
Yup... They wouldnt have convicted him if there was doubt would they?
FOMz, please don't fall into the trap that a Jury gets it right all the time, they certainly do not. He, as do his legal team take the position that they got it wrong hence his CCRC application.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
FOMz, please don't fall into the trap that a Jury gets it right all the time, they certainly do not. He, as do his legal team take the position that they got it wrong hence his CCRC application.
My brother, a retired Prison Officer once said that at least 90% of convicts felt they were innocent and were victims of a miscarriage of justice. His legal team aren't going to say no to a few more £ks, it is in their financial interest to take this as far as they can.

Until Evans' conviction is quashed he is guilty regardless of how many people want him to be innocent.

Have the CPS presented false evidence?

Did the CPS withhold evidence?

Did the defence disprove the CPS evidence?

unruly1986

Sergeant
He was found guilty, therefore he is guilty. Likewise if someone is found innocent, despite what people might 'think' or 'know', they are innocent.

All in all it comes down to business, as others have stated not he thread. Personally I don't think he should be playing professional football whilst under license.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
"Overwhelming evidence"? ...Interesting take on things here -->https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2015/0...nt-youre-being-given-by-the-mainstream-media/
Maybe he carries on claiming he's innocent because he actually believes he is innocent. Maybe all he's guilty of is actually bad judgement. I wasn't there so I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and judge him one way or another but something smells a little fishy to me.

I too read that report - the girl had taken cocain and smoked dope both illegal yet she doesn't seem to have been charged for her crimes yet they can both be proven beyond any doubt.

I dont know know if he did it - like many others I suspect he is more guilty of bad judgement than rape. If it was truly rape how did the other fella get off??

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I'd employ him, I'm sorry but he has served his time, no one else gets called for their previous crimes, 'convicted burglar John Smith', 'Convicted shop lifter Paul Jones' he is just Ched Evans, Footballer. If he cant get a job without the hate mob ruining his life, surely the system does not work and he might as well top himself?

Spurdog

Corporal
Once again it all comes down to double standards. Other offenders have been released from prison and been able to take up their careers at footballers. Here are just two examples:-

1. Lee Hughes. He drove into the back of another car, killing one person and severely injuring the other, before running away from the scene. Served half of his sentence and then resumed his career……..

2. Luke McCormick. Crashed his car while over the drink drive limit, killing two kids aged 8 and 10. Convicted, served half his sentence and has since resumed his career……..and is the club captain!

Don’t get me wrong, I have no particular liking for Ched, in fact I think he’s a pr1ck, but I am deeply worried by the precedent that is now being set. It would now appear that the mob have the right to hound convicted criminals on social media until they are unemployable. What ever happened to the rule of law in this country?

There is no legal reason why he can’t resume his career as a footballer.