• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Charlies new hat

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So Betty Windsors son gets a new hat this weekend. Or as the media puts it there is to be a royal coronation. Much pomp and cermony, hours of TV, miles of column inches in the press no doubt. I feel like I should be bothered having signed to serve queen and country in the past but really I'm disinterested in the proceedings. I do spare a thought for the many many troops from all three services who have practiced through many nights for the event and I'm sure the military side of things will be spot on.

So fellow goaters if 1 is total NFI and 10 is flag waving euphoria. Where is your personal interest-o-meter?

Mine barely reaches 3

Junter

LAC
About a 4 for me. I'm not particularly bothered about the royals but I guess they are a tourist attraction and probably employ lots of people either directly or indirectly. As I no longer live in the UK I doubt if I'll watch any of the ceremonies apart from what's on the news.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'll be watching on the telly, simply to see another part of British history being made because in terms of events, this is monumental and will form part of the future fabric of the UK.

If people don't want to watch the coronation, that's fine. If someone wants to stand in the crowds waving our national flag, then that's also fine. It is a free country after all.

Deltaitem

Corporal
It works so well in the USA. Flip flopping from one side to the other, reversing what the last president did. And then look at Russia where there is a megalomaniac for life in charge, was elected at some point.
Germany, Ireland, Finland, Switzerland etc, plenty of places where it works.

Junter

LAC
Germany, Ireland, Finland, Switzerland etc, plenty of places where it works.

To be fair, in Germany and Ireland the role of president is largely for ceremonial duties only so not much room for conflict. Where the president is also the chief executive of the government like in France or the USA there often is flip flopping and changing what the previous post holder has done.

Junter

LAC
Also, the Swiss president isn't directly elected. It's a one year only post and they are elected by the Federal Assembly. They are more like the speaker of the house in the UK as their main role is to conduct meetings of the Federal Assembly.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Iceland, Austria, Estonia, all elected, none of them given a job for life following an accident of birth...

Junter

LAC
Iceland, Austria, Estonia, all elected, none of them given a job for life following an accident of birth...

The president of Estonia is not elected by the people, they are elected by the Estonian parliament. The president is simply a figurehead with no executive powers. Not a particularly great system either.