• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Charlies new hat

Deltaitem

Corporal
It's not. Because what gives peers the right? Elected by the public has the only real legitimacy. If, that is, you're living in the twenty-first century. Let's face it, monarchies are so history. Ours won't last much beyond our re-entry into the EU. The incoming younger generation just won't accept it.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I’m trying to drum up some enthusiasm about it and failing. Maybe a 2?

Elected = better than us. Every time.
I dunno man, I can think of more countries that elected heads of state are a problem than ones where it works. Plus our head of state has no power and costs us much less than they make for our country (don't try to deny facts). Would rather leave it as it is and not have a maniac in charge, like Turkey, Russia etc.

Junter

LAC
It's not. Because what gives peers the right? Elected by the public has the only real legitimacy. If, that is, you're living in the twenty-first century. Let's face it, monarchies are so history. Ours won't last much beyond our re-entry into the EU. The incoming younger generation just won't accept it.

I was just pointing put that some of the examples you gave of presidents were of ones that were not elected by the public. Just like the presidents of the EU (there are 3), none elected by the public. The president of the European Commission, Von der Leyen wasn't even elected by her peers as she wasn't an MEP, just a failed German politician who left the German military in a dreadful state. She got the job because she was a protege of Merkel.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Who said anything about the peers? Junter asked about their peers.

So, what powers would you give an elected President (however elected) that the PM doesn't already have? Would you take parliamentary accountability away from the leadership? What powers do you think the monarch exercises that are a bad thing?

People make noises about getting rid of the monarchy, but rarely step up & say what they would have instead - now's your chance, set out your new president's roles....

Vushtrri

Sergeant
‘All men are equal…except some are more equal than others’….
Just imagine living in a country where the Head of State can be married to a Catholic or even be a Catholic…as opposed to Swear allegiance to us and lay your life on the line….but..’Oh sorry,, you cant put your feet under the kitchen table’

On a scale of 1-10 I reckon I’ve gone into negative equity and will spend the day repointing the garden wall then washing my hair..

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
That is a seriously big hat. And now we see why he was blessed with a large set of ears

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Look who’s been caught on the kiss cam

Attachments

• IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 9

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Censorship is alive and kicking on some of the FB RAF pages if you dare to profess anything but your undying love and devotion to the Windsors..

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was just pointing put that some of the examples you gave of presidents were of ones that were not elected by the public. Just like the presidents of the EU (there are 3), none elected by the public. The president of the European Commission, Von der Leyen wasn't even elected by her peers as she wasn't an MEP, just a failed German politician who left the German military in a dreadful state. She got the job because she was a protege of Merkel.

And yet there are people that actively support the non democratic nature of this particular organisation. Usually it's the same type of people that despise the monarchy and denounce it as being non democratic.

Peculiar to say the least.

Back to the Coronation, it fills me with pride to see our Armed Forces represent Great Britain on the global stage. Well done to every single person on parade today.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
‘All men are equal…except some are more equal than others’….
Just imagine living in a country where the Head of State can be married to a Catholic or even be a Catholic…as opposed to Swear allegiance to us and lay your life on the line….but..’Oh sorry,, you cant put your feet under the kitchen table’
Not sure what point you are making there, anybody in this country can be Catholic (and some elements of the CofE are also very close to Roman Catholicism); the only people who cannot be Roman Catholic is the monarch or their spouse and that is because the monarch is, by definition, the head of the CofE. Roman Catholics, also by definition, submit to the authority of the Pope and it is arguable whether the Head of State of a protestant but religiously liberal & tolerant country should themselves submit to the authority of another religious organisation. We have had that debate in this country before, and several hundred people of both sides burned at the stake before the current status quo was arrived at.

Last edited:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Fly past - well that was embarrassingly shit.

Went to Conz and watched 24 Typhoon take off one after the other - was phenomenal. Pilots must be gutted :(

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Fly past - well that was embarrassingly shit.

Went to Conz and watched 24 Typhoon take off one after the other - was phenomenal. Pilots must be gutted :(
And all the groundcrew who will be servicing them long after the winged master race have fecked off to the bar/home for whats left of their Bank Holiday weekend.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
And yet there are people that actively support the non democratic nature of this particular organisation. Usually it's the same type of people that despise the monarchy and denounce it as being non democratic.

Peculiar to say the least.

Back to the Coronation, it fills me with pride to see our Armed Forces represent Great Britain on the global stage. Well done to every single person on parade today.
The best part of the Armed Forces for me was the bit on the palace lawn.

The GSM London must be the proudest man in the world right now.