• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brueggen 2011. The E-Goat Road Trip.

Brueggen 2011. The E-Goat Road Trip.

• Definitely not, I'll suffocate if I go further than than 10 yards from home

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Dear Ladies and Gentleman of the Mighty Goat.

In the latter part of 2010, I had a conversation with Wobbly with a view to organising an E-Goat trip to Germany for those who are interested in sampling a weekend of what life in RAFG was all about, with a visit to the former RAF Station of Brueggen as the centrepiece.

Wobbly has granted me permission to go public with this idea and so I would like to propose the following for those who are interested in a making a trip across the water to Germany.

Over the past few months, I have been doing a bit of groundwork with this idea in mind to organise a visit in the summer of 2011 and I would like to suggest the Bank Holiday in August.

The trip would be open to interested E-Goat members and applies to serving and ex serving members of the Royal Air Force associated with the site, in particular, those who have been posted at, have served at or visited Bruggen and indeed RAFG, or those who just want to see what it was like.

To facilitate access to the former RAF base of Brueggen,the Station Warrant Officer at Elmpt Station (Javelin Barracks) has kindly offered to sponsor a group visit with the possibility of a semi formal mess dinner in the former RAF Sgt’s Mess. There is also the possibility of a tour of the station, to see former Squadron hangarage etc

The basic criteria for the trip are as follows.

Participants would be responsible for their own travel and accommodation arrangements.

Participants will be expected to pay costs for the mess dinner in advance. (should it be agreed that a mess dinner is actually wanted by participants.)

Participants would be expected to make a full commitment to this to ensure a good turnout of members.

This opportunity has the potential to be a huge success and although we will be visiting the station in an unofficial capacity, we will be representing E-goat and the Royal Air Force and it should be made clear to everyone that under no circumstance will either be brought in to disrepute during the course of the visit.

Possible agenda.

Arrive Friday and get into accom. All meet at a predetermined location. Eat and Drink.

Saturday , Station visit, station tour, Charity presentation????? Photo shoot, Semi formal dinner????

Or

Saturday, Station visit, station tour, Charity presentation????? Photo shoot, descend en masse to a drinking establishment of our choice.

Sunday, trip to Roermond /free to do whatever,

Monday, Drive home.

Some suggestions.

Car sharing, mini bus hire and sharing of ferry costs /accom costs by those, for example, who are coming from the same base/area.

Accom to be sourced in the local area by a “volunteer” who will advise participants of their possibilities.

Ladies and Gents,

This is a serious proposal and certain senior goat members have already declared their interest to the idea of a road trip.

I therefore canvass you all as to your thoughts so this can be discussed further.

If the visit is a viable concept, then volunteers will be needed to assist with the organisation aspect.

This is an opportunity that is too good to miss

TW

Last edited:

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
That sounds like a damn good idea, Future Son in Laws stag do in Estonia the weekend before and brattys n beer in Germany the following weekend.

G

gemarriott

Or for those who don't want to be armied to death there is always Kev Betts pub in Weeze, a trip round a decaying Laarbruch, coffee and cakes in the old Snecks mess and a night on the p1ss in Kev's with shopping in the Tref centre on the way home.

Seriously TW, sounds like a great idea for the Bruggenites and RAFG virgins

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Or for those who don't want to be armied to death there is always Kev Betts pub in Weeze, a trip round a decaying Laarbruch, coffee and cakes in the old Snecks mess and a night on the p1ss in Kev's with shopping in the Tref centre on the way home.

Seriously TW, sounds like a great idea for the Bruggenites and RAFG virgins

I'd prefer to go back to Wildenrath, but I don't like trains.

MTMAD

SAC
For your information on a dam fine idea. Ryanair fly into Dusseldorf(Weeze) Old RAF Laarbruch) from Stanstead.

MTMAD

SAC
brings back memories of eating schwama's in jerusalems in Roermond after a day and night on the lash mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

P

pie sandwich

Myself and wobbs and some others have stayed HERE ( I can't get onto their website propperly from work or its a duff site but hotel is good) in the past, it is just on the Dutch/German boarder and is about 20e in a cab to the main square in Roermond and 5 min drive from the main gate at Bruggen.

Just a small point for all those that drive over and it has been over 10 years since you were last there BFG corner doesn't exsist and your sat nav going through Gent-Antwerp-Eindhoven might throw a hissy fit because all the new road layout

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Shoarma!!!!!!!!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Will need to check diary, might be in Ireland with the barmy army watching us get our own back in a one day international!!!!!

Stewie

SAC
Sounds like a brill idea, I'd love to go back and have a look around, don't know if I'll be able too but it would certainly be a blast from the past.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Fond memories of Wildenrath (89-91) as a scaley brat... most of them in the FDC bar and the short cuts through the woods.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Okay guys, there's a thread running somewhere else on the site for taking trips down Germany memory lane.

This thread is for people who want to attend a trip to Bruggen this coming summer.

TW

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
I would be but would need a date specific rather than summer 2011?

Are you also forgetting JHQ Rheindhalen?

If any partners of Goaters are interested there are also lots of shopping facilities in the area Koln etc.

fatalbert

SAC
Myself and wobbs and some others have stayed HERE ( I can't get onto their website propperly from work or its a duff site but hotel is good) in the past, it is just on the Dutch/German boarder and is about 20e in a cab to the main square in Roermond and 5 min drive from the main gate at Bruggen.

Just a small point for all those that drive over and it has been over 10 years since you were last there BFG corner doesn't exsist and your sat nav going through Gent-Antwerp-Eindhoven might throw a hissy fit because all the new road layout
BFG Corner still exists, or at least it did the last time I was there in October 2010. The road layout has altered considerably around Roermond, and you would not pass by what we knew as BFG Corner

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I would be but would need a date specific rather than summer 2011?

Are you also forgetting JHQ Rheindhalen?

If any partners of Goaters are interested there are also lots of shopping facilities in the area Koln etc.

Hi KQ,

I suggested the Bank Holiday in August in the first post, but, it's a long post so if your sharp eyes have missed it, then so will others :S

Over the past few months, I have been doing a bit of groundwork with this idea in mind to organise a visit in the summer of 2011 and I would like to suggest the Bank Holiday in August.

How does that sound?

TW

fatalbert

SAC
Dear Ladies and Gentleman of the Mighty Goat.

In the latter part of 2010, I had a conversation with Wobbly with a view to organising an E-Goat trip to Germany for those who are interested in sampling a weekend of what life in RAFG was all about, with a visit to the former RAF Station of Brueggen as the centrepiece.

Wobbly has granted me permission to go public with this idea and so I would like to propose the following for those who are interested in a making a trip across the water to Germany.

The trip would be open to interested E-Goat members and applies to serving and ex serving members of the Royal Air Force associated with the site, in particular, those who have been posted at, have served at or visited Bruggen and indeed RAFG, or those who just want to see what it was like.

To facilitate access to the former RAF base of Brueggen,the Station Warrant Officer at Elmpt Station (Javelin Barracks) has kindly offered to sponsor a group visit with the possibility of a semi formal mess dinner in the former RAF Sgt’s Mess. There is also the possibility of a tour of the station, to see former Squadron hangarage etc

The basic criteria for the trip are as follows.

Participants would be responsible for their own travel and accommodation arrangements.

Participants will be expected to pay costs for the mess dinner in advance. (should it be agreed that a mess dinner is actually wanted by participants.)

Participants would be expected to make a full commitment to this to ensure a good turnout of members.

This opportunity has the potential to be a huge success and although we will be visiting the station in an unofficial capacity, we will be representing E-goat and the Royal Air Force and it should be made clear to everyone that under no circumstance will either be brought in to disrepute during the course of the visit.

Possible agenda.

Arrive Friday and get into accom. All meet at a predetermined location. Eat and Drink.

Saturday , Station visit, station tour, Charity presentation????? Photo shoot, Semi formal dinner????

Or

Saturday, Station visit, station tour, Charity presentation????? Photo shoot, descend en masse to a drinking establishment of our choice.

Sunday, trip to Roermond /free to do whatever,

Monday, Drive home.

Some suggestions.

Car sharing, mini bus hire and sharing of ferry costs /accom costs by those, for example, who are coming from the same base/area.

Accom to be sourced in the local area by a “volunteer” who will advise participants of their possibilities.

Ladies and Gents,

This is a serious proposal and certain senior goat members have already declared their interest to the idea of a road trip.

I therefore canvass you all as to your thoughts so this can be discussed further.

If the visit is a viable concept, then volunteers will be needed to assist with the organisation aspect.

This is an opportunity that is too good to miss

TW
I'm up for it! I've just moved to the south of France from a location very close to NAB Geilenkirchen. I was stationed at RAF Brueggen for 8 years (2 tours on Tonkas), and I would love to look round the old base. Because of my present location I would probably fly RyanAir from Marseille Provence to Weeze (Laarparts), or Eindhoven, and then rent a car. The Cox Hotel on the Roermond border is still there, and may be a source of suitable accommodation. The Lehnsen Hotel in Elmpt is also available. Elmpt has changed considerably since the RAF vacated the area. The large blocks of RAF apartments that dominated the area around Elmpt NAAFI have been demolished completely. New (civilian) houses stand on their site. Elmpt NAAFI and the Chinese restaurant that replaced the Little City pub were both derelict 6 months ago.

I'll help anyway I can. I look forward to visiting an old haunt!

G

grumpyoldb

What's this shopping....................???
It's supposed to be an e-goat outing! :pDT_Xtremez_42: :pDT_Xtremez_31:

fatalbert

SAC
What's this shopping....................???
It's supposed to be an e-goat outing! :pDT_Xtremez_42: :pDT_Xtremez_31:
Notwithstanding the sentiment of the comment Grumpyoldb has made, it may be worth pointing out that Roermond has a McArthur Glen Outlet Centre much larger than the one (I know) in Chester (UK) that is open on a Sunday; as well as full Sunday shopping in the out of town retail park that they opened 3 years ago. It is so successful that the Dutch Christian Fundamentalist Party in their travesty of a parliament is trying to close it! It attracts thousands of German visitors every Sunday!

Spurdog

Corporal
Sorry to say went back to Roermond in 2003 and they had knocked down the Jerusalem so they could put a shopping area in. Shame, as they did the best schwamas.

I have a sudden feeling similar to losing a member of the family………the Jerusalem gone……………………..I think I’m gonna cry……………

I have a sudden feeling similar to losing a member of the family………the Jerusalem gone……………………..I think I’m gonna cry……………

I visited the area 2 or 3 years ago, long after 2003 anyway. The Jerusalem has moved to just off the square, near the George. Shoarmas were still good. Just checked google maps, it's Veldstraat.

Edited to add, I'd be up for a return, but may have difficulty in selling it to the family :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.