• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Books

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Have they made the films of those yet ?
Or maybe the cartoon book ?

Hang on a mo'.
Now, not knowing the rank of S2, I wonder about it. I was told (many, many moons ago) that only senior officers were permitted knowledge of these books. So it could be that he's not entitled to know them (in detail, at least).
Not these day's - they have for some time been made openly available to all via our Internal Intranet - which basically means (due to the MoDs policy of only purchasing IT systems (amongst other things) from companies with the world's worst reputations and providing one of our former highly paid old boys got a decent backhander) that pretty much no fekker can see them when needed:pDT_Xtremez_15: unlike our personnel's confidential material which appears to be available on open access to anyone who shouldn't see it

Rant Over

Last edited:

budgie

The new Dirk Diggler
I've some old Commando books knockin' about. If not, found 'Ice Dancing' on Amazon for you.

Attachments

• d00c4310fca00e91d99b6010__AA240__L.jpg
    d00c4310fca00e91d99b6010__AA240__L.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
D

Dink

Picking up the Brass by Eddie Nugent (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=100336.html

They Stood in the Door by Don MacNaughton
Joint Force Harrier by Cdr Ade Orchard
Apache by Ed Macy

Spike

Have to agree with you there about Picking up the Brass, one of the funniest books I have ever read. The description of the RMP's trying to arrest the Para had me in stitches.

How about ..

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason
Barefoot Soldier by Johnson Beharry VC
Men of Air by Kevin Wilson
Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Have to agree with you there about Picking up the Brass, one of the funniest books I have ever read. The description of the RMP's trying to arrest the Para had me in stitches.

Take a look..............

Crack on..................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

D

Dink

I'm getting "Sorry, Video not available" when I click on that link Tashy.

Seems to be happening a lot on Youtube lately.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I'm getting "Sorry, Video not available" when I click on that link Tashy.

Seems to be happening a lot on Youtube lately.

Strange, I just clicked on my link and it worked fine......oh well, try again later....it's great !!

Crack on.................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

Gingerburd

What about Armed Action- James Newart, Its about this bloke in 847 Naval Air Squadron when he was in Basra, What about any of Andy McNab's books???

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Do not buy the Diary Of Anne Frank
Blimey what a boring read

AnneFrank.jpg

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
i have been reading a fair bit on vietnam lately and a couple of books have really stood out.

Sog: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sog-Secret-...5902550?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234128267&sr=8-1

unbelieveable account on the Studies and Observation Group. This unit recieved 100% casualties, everyone who served init got the purple heart if they were a spam. Basically 9 men, to a recon squad, 2-3 yanks the rest indigenous personel to recon an area, against hundreds to thousands of NVA/VC. Very very brave men. and with one of the best quotes of a surrounded man i have ever hgeard. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE WHO LIKES MILITARY BASED BOOKS.

These by James Donahue
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...=ss&index=books-uk&field-author=James Donahue

you almost think your actually there when reading it.

Dear mom: a snipers war. different book using the the letters he sent home. goes to show the state of mind of someone in a hell hole

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dear-Mom-Joseph-T-Ward/dp/0804108536/ref=pd_sim_b_3/278-8196683-1494566

The magnificent bastrads: absolutely frightning account of of a massive battle. would not like to have been there what so ever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnificent...8223327?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234128965&sr=1-5

Lastly this one on the frogs in vietnam. be warned its about a million pages long but gives you all the background on them being there before the battle of dien bien phu. muderously frightning
The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French defeat in Vietnam
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Valley...9336153?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234129546&sr=1-1

All terrific reads but the SOG one stands out as THE best book i have ever read on military accounts.

Happy reading if you buy them

Last edited:
G

Gundulph

Pull Up a Sandbag

Pull Up a Sandbag

I hope this is okay to post a link to the book? MODs if it isn't please do the honourable thing and delete the Post... Has anyone from E-Goat read the book yet?

For Every Copy Sold a Pound is being Donated direct to Help 4 Heroes... a few Reviews & Comments so far added below (there are a couple of RAF stories in the book also and we will be hoping to add more to the Sequel which is being worked on at the moment, so if anyone has a Tale they would like to see in the Sequel please drop me a PM... Cheers):

Press on the pic above to go to the PUAS Site...

Reviews & Comments

# "Got the book for my birthday - Brilliantly funny ! I have a stack of stories which I am sure everyone has! to add to this - love the Iron cross story! LMFAO!" by J. F.

# "From the very first story to the last, I kept bursting into fits of giggles as I read the outrageous goings on. If it's squaddy humour at its finest you are looking for, then this book is a must." by Biped

Hysterical from start to finish, and heaven help us, the next volume is already being written!

# "Purchased, Received, only a few pages in but my face is sore from laughing so much." by N.G.

# "Only had the book an hour, couldn't resist just a little peak, now on page 8 and it's wiped out a whole week of work stress in one go!" by D.H.

# "My wife has now started reading it and every now and then I can hear little sniggers coming from her direction, brilliant book well done." by G.C.

# "Bought 3 husband dad and father in-law they cant wait for the next one installment, hubby quoting to his lads on a daily basis out of his book, and constantly nodding and giggling." by C.L.W.

# "Bought it on day of release, nearly got commited for giggling (loudly) on a train." by M.D.

# "Was bought it for my birthday. Brilliant read and could not stop laughing out loud. roll on the sequel." by M.McG.

# "Just received 'Pull up a Sandbag' and am laughing my arse off, tho kids and wife aren't that happy!" by R.L.

# "Read on the train to the Army/Navy, suprised I wasn`t arrested for uncontrolled giggling." by S.C.N.

# "This has to be one of the funniest books I have ever read. You will love this book if yoo have ever spent time in green kit." by A.W.

# "Bought it on day of release, thoroughly rivetting read... near wet myself more than once." by M.A.

# "Got my book today and have done little else since, without doubt the funniest book I've ever read." by T. L

# "It's already had me roaring with laughter ...from the start." by E. B

# "Finally a book for the serviceman written by the serviceman! An outstanding read, rarely does a book come along that makes you laugh out aloud and "Pull Up A Sandbag" certainly did that! Full of truly hilarious tales and barrack room legends this book is a must for any serving or ex serviceman. Buy it, read it, tell your mates to buy it and what better reason do you need than a donation to "Help for Heroes" This book certainly reminds you of the unique humour that made, and still makes the British servicemen and women the best in the world!... Keep this up and can't wait for the next installment! Well done!!" by A.D.

# "Just started reading "Pull up a Sandbag". I was laughing so much that I was crying, when I couldn’t cry any more I wet myself. When I had finished I realised through many emotions (including shame, guilt, naughtiness) that the warm feeling I now had was pride. Pride that I had once been a squaddie, but even prouder still that I know and have worked with one of the guys responsible for this literary masterpiece." by M.C.

# "Received my copy yesterday so started reading it whilst sitting in Court this morning, the Judge kept raising her eyebrows at me when I constantly let out little chuckles." by M.A.

# "Hysterically funny - and then some!

Pull up a Sandbag is a brilliant collection of bite sized snippets of armed service humour. A perfect bog-book for home or work, or for civvies who wonder what squaddies do when they are not appearing on TV with Ross Kemp. Warning! Don't read this on a crowded bus or train as the resulting fits of hysterical laughter will have onlookers phoning directory enquiries and asking to be put through to the funny farm to tell them to come and collect you. Some spare four-by-two or a small girly pack of tissues is also a must as reading this book will make the air dusty and cause streaming tear ducts. This book can also be considered as a "how-to" manual if you need inspiration for a wind up or decent nickname for the latest numpty that has just arrived from basic. And if you are an ex-squaddie, matelot or crab don't be too quick to sigh with relief if your unfortunate experience, foul up or wah isn't mentioned - there's bound to be a second volume!" by L.H.

# "Best laugh you can have in the bog! For those who have got out and for those thinking of joining up, This is a must read! my wife is confused with all the laughing coming from the smallest room in the house!" by C.F.

# "Pull Up a sandbag - Having just finished reading this much waited for book it has not failed to please in evoking the timeless memory of being sat together with those who some might consider a motley collection of charming rogues around a yellow handbag, in a civilised mess garden * or deep in the heart of an anonymous German forestry block just before last light huddled around a brew and a last cigarette.

If this description causes a wry smile and a gentle chuckle then I warn you this will also make you howl with laughter and have tears in your eyes, I would say from personal experience that reading this on public transport will attract the attention of all, as you try and stifle the inner squaddie, and no doubt fail.

I could mention that some stories will not doubt evoke memories of our own sometime near misses with notoriety or not so near misses some will make you remark out loud with the sear genius of the stitch up, thus with a shine pound coin going to HELP for HEROES also what is to stop you ordering a copy*(see the footnote on page 41 if the yellow handbag need further explanation)" by Mrs M.I.M.

# "Pull up a Sandbag is a collection of short stories of squaddies, their humour and their nefarious activities. This is not a work of literary art, it is a book written by squaddies and about squaddies and reflects the humour required to deal with the day to life of a soldier. It is in a similar vein to 'Don't cry for me Sgt Major' of the eighties and a must read for anyone with a connection to, or an interest in, that great British Institution that is the squaddie. A great read (cover to cover within 24 hrs) and a book that will earn pride of place by your loo! Well worth the investment!! Thanks" by T.H.H. (Singapore)

# "Jees, bought this and put it away to take on my holidays. hows that for will power, unfortunately im now on my holidays and havent put it down, My Mrs is not a happy bunny, lol. but this has 2 be one of the best reads and laffs i have had for years, so much rings true and strikes a chord!"

# "Bought it...read it in a day......hilarious. The egg banjo story really struck a chord:) A miserable soggy route clearance in Londonderry, got back to camp only to find the Queens Regt. slop jockey ready to do us banjos & tarmac tea...a seminal moment!" by C.E.

The Language is of course rather Colourful! If anyone in E-Goat was on Byron heights at the time of the Black Out on Byron Heights story can you drop me a PM, they were great times and we really enjoyed our time on the Mountain... Red, Green & the Very Rare Can of Blue were the norm every night :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Pull Up a Sandbag by Jonathan Smiles

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
As it happens I finnished reading Pull Up a Sandbag this morning, and it is a top book. Very funny and stuff in there that we can all relate to. The Iron Cross story is my favorite.

Last edited:
G

Gundulph

As it happens I finnished reading Pull Up a Sandbag this morning, and it is a top book. Very funny and stuff in there that we can all relate to. The Iron Cross story is my favorite.

Thanks for the Comment Sausage and you are right as any former Service Member can relate to many of the stories, I'll add your comment to the Reviews/Comments if that is okay? we will of course be putting together loads of reviews inside and on the back of the back of the Sequel, we both agree we would love to have more stories from the RAF and the Navy, so again, if you have a Tale you think worthy of entry in the new book and we choose the story then we will give you a signed copy of the books...

Which reminds me as I have to put something together for my second tour of Byron heights, we had a great laugh when a certain Para/Commando Qualified Royal Signals Sergeant decided as he was also 'Army' that he could naturally join in our nightly game of Bunnies and Fizz, Buzz, Bang - he couldn't have been more wrong! story to appear in the Sequel :pDT_Xtremez_30:...

Last edited by a moderator: