• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Books

FOMz

Warrant Officer
As it happens I finnished reading Pull Up a Sandbag this morning, and it is a top book. Very funny and stuff in there that we can all relate to. The Iron Cross story is my favorite.

If you've finished it the S2, you can stick it in an envelope and send it to me to read, beacuse as you know I'm a skinflint pikey.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
if you have a Tale you think worthy of entry in the new book and we choose the story then we will give you a signed copy of the books...

I've got quite an amusing story about when I was in Rauls Rose Garden (Belize), a bottle of Belikan beer and an inexpensive prostitute if you're interested.

G

Gundulph

All stories considered...

You will know what I mean if you ever get to read the story of the Squaddie, the Squaw & the Tomato Skin :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

Gundulph

Many Thanks to all who have bought the book. For those who haven't read the book yet if you press on the link below you can see the contents of the book and the first chapters and stories:

http://www.woodfieldpublishing.co.uk/contents/en-uk/Pull-Up-a-Sandbag[sample].pdf

It may appear quite large, so just adjust the % view to 100% in the PDF toolbar, though I suspect everyone knows that!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

dkh51250

Sergeant
Gundulph, any predicted date for the sequel?

Bought mine and read it in its entirety the same night.

G

Gundulph

Gundulph, any predicted date for the sequel?

Bought mine and read it in its entirety the same night.

We are working on it at the moment, we get together each Friday in Sarajevo over an Ale or Two, this usually gets the memory cells working and we jog each others' memories with the various Tales of not so derring do! sometime in the New Year... will let you know here...

In the meantime if anyone is stuck for a Stocking Filler idea:

The Book can be purchased at http://www.pull-up-a-sandbag.co.uk :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Attachments

• Sandbag not just for Christmas 2.jpg
    Sandbag not just for Christmas 2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Finished mine while on the flight home from holiday yesterday.....a few good giggles and will be passed to an ex army bloke i work with.......put me down for the next instalment.....

Crack on.....................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

Gundulph

*Available on Amazon*

*Available on Amazon*

We have finally got "Pull Up a Sandbag" available on Amazon, there is still time to order this for a Stocking Filler in time for Christmas Day, here is the page: http://www.pull-up-a-sandbag.co.uk If anyone here has read the book and liked it, could we very kindly ask if you can add a small review to the purchase page...

Many Thanks... :pDT_Xtremez_14:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I have just finished reading Man Down by Mark Ormrod. "Rammers" is a Marine who stepped on a land mine is Afghanistan xmas 2007 which has left him a treble amputee. This is his book and it is an awesome read. I was either crying or laughing the whole way through. Inspiring bloke with an amazing attitude. Definitely recommend the book to any of you.

excellent book

excellent book

Just finished "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Capstick. He was a guide in Africa, the book is full of things that have happened to him and friends in Africa.
I believe it may now be out of print and hard to obtain but definitely worth a read.

Fat2at

Corporal
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. The best true personal account of WW2 I have ever read. Guy tells how, as a 16 yr-old from Alsace on the Franco-German border with a German mother and French dad, he joined the German army in 1942(?). He was sent straight to the Eastern Front and the whole book is his story from joining until the end of the war. Absolutely fantastic, not political, no opinions, no exaggeration - just an honest, description of immediate events and how they affected him and his mates.

Forged In Fury by Michael Elkins. Jaw dropping. Everyone should read this at school. I thought that when we won the war, some high ranking Nazis escaped, some topped themselves but the rest - the vast majority were put on trial. I also always thought that as soon as the Allies were aware of what was happening to the Jews (and others) in Europe, plans were made to help them during and after the war. I had to read it again, straight away, I was that shocked at the difference between what I assumed and what was actual history.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am 100 pages into "Ulysses". I want a pint of whatever Joyce was drinking. Psycho.

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. The best true personal account of WW2 I have ever read. Guy tells how, as a 16 yr-old from Alsace on the Franco-German border with a German mother and French dad, he joined the German army in 1942(?). He was sent straight to the Eastern Front and the whole book is his story from joining until the end of the war. Absolutely fantastic, not political, no opinions, no exaggeration - just an honest, description of immediate events and how they affected him and his mates.

Have to echo the comments on The Forgotten Soldier, definitely one of the best books on WW2 I have ever read, it's not a thin book either but was such a page turner I had it read in almost one sitting.

Can also recommend A Soldiers Song by Ken Lukowiak (amazon Link), a 2 Para Private's account of the Falklands War and his experiences.

On a non war front get your hands on James Ellroy's Underworld USA Trilogy (American Tabloid; The Cold Six Thousand and Blood's A Rover), absolutely awesome or The Red Riding Quartet by David Peace - totally fcuked up crime writing at it's best!!

Oberon305

Chairborne
I have just finished reading Man Down by Mark Ormrod. "Rammers" is a Marine who stepped on a land mine is Afghanistan xmas 2007 which has left him a treble amputee. This is his book and it is an awesome read. I was either crying or laughing the whole way through. Inspiring bloke with an amazing attitude. Definitely recommend the book to any of you.

Off Topic a bit, but saw in the paper at the weekend the triple amputee Para sniper who's doing a military parachute jump to prove he's fit enough to go back on Ops. Says he can still be a sniper in theatre. Ballsy little git!

tats

Sergeant
Going away to my second winter soon and currently the books I'm taking with me are:

Pull Up A Sandbag - cheers gundulph
The Map Of Africa - next book after Picking Up The Brass
The Non-runner's marathon guide - doing the GNR this year
Hippo Eats Dwarf And Other Urban Myths
Elephants On Acid And Other Bizarre Experiments

Hopefully that should last me a while, maybe the flight there anyway :pDT_Xtremez_41:

C

CC

Anything by Clive Cussler but preferably his Dirk Pitt novels. They've always stood me in good stead whilst away.

M

MyShineyAr$e

Three books which I can read again and again are all by Charlie Owen:

Horses Arse
Foxtrot Oscar
Bravo Jubilee

All are part of the same series set in a fictional town in Greater Manchester and are based on the experiences and memories of the author who is an ex-copper. It features the same humour that is commonplace in the military and obiously used to be in the police circa 1970.

I cried laughing at these books and I cannot recommend this series enough, in fact just found that he has released a fourth book called Two Tribes, am ordering it off Amazon immediatley.