• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Army beards

4everAD

Sergeant
So now the Army have given permission for soldiers to grow beards does the RAF have to change it's policy?
Soldiers can grow beards on leave without permission yet we have to ask permission and are on probation for 2 weeks to see if they meet the standard, is it time for all 3 services to now have a standard policy in KRs? It seems crazy to have 3 separate set of rules for the same thing.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
not in but single service identity is important, and I”m sure the army bods wouldn’t freely adopt RAF or Navy ways out of hand.

Deltaitem

Corporal
I noticed there were lots of beards going on in Afghanistan on ops. Will the current respirators still work if you're all bearded up?

4everAD

Sergeant
If the BBC is correct the RAF have allowed beards since 2019.

I'm very much aware the RAF has had beards for some time now! What I'm saying is the 2 policies don't match up. We have to have beards approved/registered before growing them whereas the Army can just rock up after leave with a beard.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Does anyone remember the days where not being able to shave (skin issues) led to medical downgrade and subsequent loss of promotion?

I think the only person I ever knew (of) who had a full beard was Elmer Fudd at Wittering.

As for the Army, I think it's a backwards step considering their modes of training with regard to CBRN. I'm also of the opinion that it was a backwards step for the RAF but that's just my own opinion.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
So now the Army have given permission for soldiers to grow beards does the RAF have to change it's policy?
Soldiers can grow beards on leave without permission yet we have to ask permission and are on probation for 2 weeks to see if they meet the standard, is it time for all 3 services to now have a standard policy in KRs? It seems crazy to have 3 separate set of rules for the same thing.
So if not in KR's where is the guidelines, surely not at SSO or SRO level.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Except it isn't and the world didn't end.

Just my opinion, nothing more! I did make that expressly clear and others can disagree as they wish as you have done.

My lad served and had a beard because he couldn't be bothered with shaving. His preference and within the rules but do you think that made me think he was a bad Airman for doing so? Absolutely not.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I do like one of the comments on FYB about Pongos fianlly (after much twisting of tits) being allowed beards.

'I take it we aren't getting a Pay Rise this year then?'

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I agree we need to do something about recruiting, but dropping standards isn't one of them.

Tats, Beards, vetting, pass mark standards etc - short term gain, but what is the long term effect going to be?

Tats like this throbber i mean:

Attachments

• Army throbber.jpg
    Army throbber.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Deltaitem

Corporal
I've felt prompted to do a bit of research on this. Well, as far as wiki-schmiki anyway. Seems that there are many and varied rules around the world, and in times gone by, beards were allowed, and then banned in the British Army.
Facial hair in the military
Personally, I'd be more worried about the underfunding/hollowing out of the military affecting standards, than any of this beard stuff, although wider world events might cause that to change pretty drastically in the near future.

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
In these days of drone warfare, mission capable UAV's, long range missiles, GPS locators, etc I think having or not having a beard is the least of your frontline worries. On the ground the speed the round leaves the weapon is not altered by age, size, gender or the user pulling the trigger having a beard. Storm / teacup

It hasn't made any real difference to the way the RAF works so can't see the Army having any issues that aren't self inflicted by the RSM's etc.

The GSR is designed to handle a few days of growth and we shave before testing or on entering a CBRN threat state so can't see that as an issue either. How much training in face wellies do the Army actually do? having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of training is about to rocket just to justify shaving :ROFLMAO:

Beards might only be a small issue but the big problems are going to take years and a shed load of cash to fix so if growing a beard helps with recruitment and retention in even a small way then its an easy win

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Which meaningful standard do you feel is compromised by service personnel having beards and/or tattoos?

Did you read my post or just make up what you thought i had written? Won't someone think of the children?!

The tats i refer to is like the image i posted, do you agree that type of tat is appealing? But the point of my post is that we are dropping standards across the board to aid in recruitment/retention, that is a short term fix and may lead to problems later down the line.

However, not that anyone is bothered, the ones who brought in these new 'standards' will have been promoted and moved on.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm not sure I buy the argument mate.....the same argument was probably made when we went from hairy mary shirts, or got rid of puttees, or were given hoovers, ad infinitum.....

I remember being told in 1993 that my generation were a disgrace and the service was going down the pan. I'm sure those that preceded me were told the same, etc, etc.