• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Armed Forces Day 2013

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
AFD is like any other short lived website. Someone else's good idea, but doomed because the maintenance is nowhere near as sexy as the launch.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
They put a flag up here last Monday and took it down this morning, wouldn't want to upset anyone now would we?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Perhaps because it isn't for the people in the armed forces but the public???

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Didn't know it was on! Was in town yesterday and nothing to suggest that it was....

T

Tubby

Didn't notice anything in York centre yesterday other than a few school brass bands but Iw asn't looking tbh. So long as the main event (Nottingham) is well subscribed as I feel it is for the publics benefit rather than ours. They get 1 day we get a year of slightly higher appreciation.

Next year my vote is for Luton, Tower Hamlets, Bradford etc etc. They want us to "intergrate" and be accepted by certain communities then lets do it.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I made sure I had leave booked well before the traditional "jiff someone to work" commenced.

Armed Forces Day was a nice idea, but the only place I noticed that was offering something free was Crown Carveries, where I got a free carvery earlier in the week.

As for the day itself - I toddled along to Nottingham and whilst there was a lot going on, there appeared to be diddly squat being offered free to HM Forces by local businesses, all of whom benefitted greatly by the event being held there.

Armed Forces Day = A day for joe public to appreciate the Armed Forces. A working weekend for those being appreciated.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I've always thought NAFD to be a bit of a misnomer. Sure, it's always nice to get a pat on the back from the public but IMHO it was only devised by Brown to garner a bit of support by being seen to be supporting HMF. It always seems that on a day set aside for US, WE are usually jiffed for duty. Why not have NAFD as a day where all shops, bars, restaurants, etc give either free or heavily discounted deals, museums, attractions, etc have free entry, that kind of thing? After being on a nationwide recruiting tour for 3 years and OOA last year, this is the first year I've been off on NAFD so I was able to see NAFD from the other side of the fence for the first time and there didn't seem to be anything in place for service people who weren't working, no parades, no recruiting and outreach display, etc. Indeed, in a lot of places would it be incorrect to say there was very little sign of a national appreciation of our forces?

Also, I've always been sceptical about this perceived "support" the forces have been getting over the last few years with H4H, the Millies, NAFD, etc. It's all well and good whilst we have a large and heavy commitment in Afghanistan but it was only a few years ago when if you told someone you were in the services, it was a little bit like saying you wanted rape their kids. We're only cool and popular because The Sun has told people to like us. in 2015 when Herrick is over and done with, I reckon NAFD will fall by the wayside as we go back to being the country's most expensive and exclusive flying, sailing and gun club.