• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appling to be an officer

M

mino

Hello,

This is my first poet on here and I would like some advice and help. I am considering a career change to the RAF. I am currently working as a police officer and I am 28 about to turn 29 in March.

I went into my local RAF careers office to enquire about joining the RAF as a police officer. I have the required standards, education nationality etc. I went out with a lot of other options as well as RAF police officer such as Supply officer, Fighter Controller etc.

I know a bit about the process for a commission but I would like some more help and advice about the process. For my initial interview how much knowledge do I need to know about the RAF? Will it be to know what aircraft they use and where they are stationed? I have trawled the RAF website for information which is useful, but I would like as much advice as possible. Also I have all the hand outs from the careers office but would like to know a bit more about the officer jobs.

As you see I’m starting from scratch really. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have you trawled through these forums? There is good info in there from a number of sources so have a good look...

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Being a civvy fed is different to be a raf fed as well...

Have you thought that through...

B

Bucc Boy

Hello,

This is my first poet on here and I would like some advice and help. I am considering a career change to the RAF. I am currently working as a police officer and I am 28 about to turn 29 in March.

I went into my local RAF careers office to enquire about joining the RAF as a police officer. I have the required standards, education nationality etc. I went out with a lot of other options as well as RAF police officer such as Supply officer, Fighter Controller etc.

I know a bit about the process for a commission but I would like some more help and advice about the process. For my initial interview how much knowledge do I need to know about the RAF? Will it be to know what aircraft they use and where they are stationed? I have trawled the RAF website for information which is useful, but I would like as much advice as possible. Also I have all the hand outs from the careers office but would like to know a bit more about the officer jobs.

As you see I’m starting from scratch really. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

With all due respect mate, is it true that the level of English in today’s police force is so bad that you cannot tell the difference between ‘Appling’, which I can only assume has some connection to the old fashioned scrumping of apples, and ‘Applying’.

Either way, if you choose to scrump for a job in Her Majesty’s Royal Air Force or simply apply……..Good luck!

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
With all due respect mate, is it true that the level of English in today’s police force is so bad that you cannot tell the difference between ‘Appling’, which I can only assume has some connection to the old fashioned scrumping of apples, and ‘Applying’.

Either way, if you choose to scrump for a job in Her Majesty’s Royal Air Force or simply apply……..Good luck!

My first thought was Appalling. . . . . . .
Come to think about it though. . . .

M

mino

My mistake with regards to appling. Was meant to be applying.

Anyway would the age issue be a disadvantage if I were to start the application now. I’ve read through the posts already on the site and still struggling for answers. Also Once I’ve handed in my application at the careers office how intense will the initial interview be. What questions will I be expected to know with regards in depth knowledge of the RAF.

Thanks again.

D

double_dd

As I understand it you have to have knowledge of aircraft, bases they will operate from, differences in different types of aircraft (offensive/defensive etc).

Afterall anyone in the RAF is ultimately working to put planes in the air so you must know the equipment being used.

M

mino

Thanks for all the info. Ive had a good look through the forums and got a lot of good info.
Just one question (or two), I'm at the age of 28 and 29 next month. If I do manage to pass all the stages and get to RAF Cranwell how would my age affect this? and what other ages would be there as well?

KingGuin

Sergeant
Age at IOT varies from 18-40. However as Goaters will tell you, age is no indicator of physical fitness - especially in today's Mob! Make sure you can undertake a MSFT to at least 2 levels above the standard for your age and be able to run 1.5 miles in boots without blubbing. As a Civy plod I would hope you would already have a basic level of fitness so achieving the basic standards should be easy.

The depth of knowledge is not significant, a basic idea of where we are, why we are there and where we might expect to be is a starter. The aircraft we use, what we use them for and what we have lined up to replace them. You should be aware of NATO and P4P etc and any initiatives in the EU forum. Additionally I suggest you need to be fairly astute in regard to current affairs.

I would suggest if you are anywhere near an RAF station you ring and ask to speak to the MCO who should be able to arrange a chat with the commissioning club wallah or the local sheriff.

Good luck.

V

Voxsj

Thanks for all the info. Ive had a good look through the forums and got a lot of good info.
Just one question (or two), I'm at the age of 28 and 29 next month. If I do manage to pass all the stages and get to RAF Cranwell how would my age affect this? and what other ages would be there as well?

Age should not be an issue. There are lots of people that apply for a commission who are the same age and older. There are people that are younger too, it will depend on your selection days at OASC. On mine last year, there were an even spilt of people older and younger than me, and I was 24 at the time.

If you want to go for a commission you need to do some research on the RAF. The RAF website is a good start, as is the MOD Website. You can also get books from the library or from Amazon on the RAF, but they will probably not be entirely up to date.

Best thing to do is pop down to your AFCO and have a word with a careers advisor. You need to think about why you want a commission and what you can bring to the Royal Air Force.

Good Luck :)

M

mino

Thanks again to everyone who has posted very helpful advice. I've been to the careers office and got all the paperwork regarding the various officer jobs. I've got a million more questions but I'll save them when I go into the careers next week.