• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone fancy a week away from work for free?

spick@29

LAC
Sirs, Ma'ams et al,
Fancy a week away from JPA, SJARs, Flt Line ops, or just your usual routine week?
If the answer is YES, read on.....

The 2014 Gliding course dates for now online.
If you aren't aware of what the deal is, here is a v brief summary:

Gliding courses take place at RAF Halton from March through until the end of Oct and are open to ALL ranks and ALL services and are aimed at ALL levels of flying ability be it "none at all" to "experienced pilot".

They are run on a relaxed but professional basis and fulfill the ethos of Adventurous Training.

Basics then:
Its free!
Monday -Friday course.
Messing is provided.
No uniforms of any kind to be worn.
No ranks used at anytime on the course.
Full instruction and tuition is given throughout.

There are 3 levels of course:

Foundation - An Ab-initio course to take the student up to Solo pilot standard.

Intermediate - A course to take the student further in training, post solo.

Advanced - A course to take the student to British Gliding Association "Cross country Endorsement" standard.

During periods of inclement weather or we are unable to fly, we have a secondary activity of Mountain Biking.
We have fully qualified instructors and provide all the necessary equipment except footwear.

Don't be the one who goes through their RAF career moaning about how boring their job is without trying something new!

For more info you can find us on the intranet (MOSS & Dii) or via civvy tinterweb search engines by following this link.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafgliding/jsat/whatisjsat.cfm

Thanks for your time.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Crikey! I hope that people will be biting your hands off to get on the course!

If I was still in the mob, I know I would be!

Brilliant to see that the RAF still offers these opportunities to serving folk.

Best Regards,

TW

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Crikey! I hope that people will be biting your hands off to get on the course!

If I was still in the mob, I know I would be!

Brilliant to see that the RAF still offers these opportunities to serving folk.

Best Regards,

TW

Agree with you there, don't seem to remember being aware of that.

br9mp81

Corporal
during my time f/sgt and wo fman just put any AT requests in the bin,it took a AVM on the phone to get a lad off to play rugby for the raf,i dare say it has not changed.

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
SAC "Is it possible I can finish at a reasonable time on fri so I can represent the raf at rugby"?

WO "No you can't. Because I can't pass my fitness test, I'm not interested in other peoples sporting success. You can sweep the hangar floor for the third time today instead."

SAC "I bet I'll play".

WO "Do you know who I am"?

... ring ring ...

"AVM here".

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I did a gliding course at Bicester some years ago...brilliant time...when I wasn't gliding which I have to say I never truly got on with (Lack of engine felt wrong to me) they took me up in a Grob power glider (engine in front felt safer) to whizz around Bucks...a great week away from the grind of watching telly in the crew room!

spick@29

LAC
free week

free week

hi there,
Yes the course is open to auggies too!!!!

IAW JSP419 (i hate people who quote ap's etc) every service person is entitled to 1 week of A.T in a 2 year period....minimum.

Nowadays, JengOs etc are very keen to get people away on courses like ours to encourage personal development.

All you need to do is fill in the form on the web link, get your line manager to write some sort of "it will make him/her a better individual for doing this" statement then get the Mirror techs at the gym to stamp it. You can either send it to us in the post, fax it or trust the gym to do that for you.
Easiest way is to fax it.
PLEASE ensure the form is filled in completely including course numbers because if it isnt, it will get rejected with no notification to you.

Dont worry about the priority box on the form. That is for us.

Please feel free to PM me with any further questions or just post them on here!

spick@29

LAC
The centre that was at Bicester is now at RAF Halton.
Some of the old bicester gang still work here. We have to change the subject when they start reminiscing tho!!!!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Our Sqn is mega keen on AT. Maybe that is unusual, but it is almost forced on people here.

spick@29

LAC
AT is a big topic in all of the armed forces at the mo.
All the service personnel at the gliding centre are aircraft techies by trade.

We also do the EX Soaring Eagle scheme too.

This is designed for stations or sections to provide 12 people for a 1 day gliding taster. Each person attending gets usually 1 or 2 flights.

This is particularly good if you work in a busy section and can't spare the whole week.

More info available via the web link listed before or via the mirror techs at the gym.

spick@29

LAC
free week

free week

Hi all,
Just a quick bump notice to say that the 2014 gliding course dates are now online and they are filling fast!!!!

spick@29

LAC
This thread was going well until it was moved!! Moderator, can we set up an misc sports section of sports and AT? Or even set up a sports aviation group seeing as there is hangliding, paragliding, gliding, microlight flying, powered flying and even model aircraft flying within the RAF!! All of which are recognised as sports within the RAF!

Just a thought....

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This thread was going well until it was moved!! Moderator, can we set up an misc sports section of sports and AT? Or even set up a sports aviation group seeing as there is hangliding, paragliding, gliding, microlight flying, powered flying and even model aircraft flying within the RAF!! All of which are recognised as sports within the RAF!

Just a thought....

How often is the website updated? I have submitted an application for 4 but 2 weeks notice for successful applicants kind of ties my hands if I want to programme something else (if unsuccessful).

spick@29

LAC
The course website is getting updated virtually everyday as course applications are coming in thick n fast!

I agree on the 2 weeks notice issue and I did look into trying to get that adjusted. I would suggest calling Nige on x6483 and getting him to check your application. It would help your case if you knew the course numbers for the call to save time.

Ref being too tall. 6'3" is the upper limit but it's all about dimensions rather than total height. We have had people with short legs and long torso and struggle to fit in a glider and vice versa; short body and long legs.

My suggestion to you reheat would be to visit your nearest gliding club and ask to sit in a K21 glider in prep of the course. They should be fine with this because you could be a potential new member having experienced it with us for a week!! Where are you based?

spick@29

LAC
Free week off work.

Free week off work.

Well, that's the first 3 courses done and the weather has been good!
If anyone wants any info on applying for a gliding course, pm me!!