• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allotments 2012

G

grumpyoldb

Four varieties of spuds chitting, 2 x 2nd early Marfona and Kestrel, and 2 x maincrop Ambo and Sante. About 35 of each. Should fill about 9 x 14' rows. The 30 garlic cloves were planted around November and have about 6" of growth.
This coming week will see the sweet and chillie peppers being sown and at the end of this month I will start sowing the tomatoes.

Has anyone else made a start yet?

Hot Shoes

Corporal
Has anyone else made a start yet?

Yes, got Foremost (early) and Marfona (2nd's) chitting last Saturday. Also started off my Broad beans last Saturday, saw the 1st signs above the soil yesterday, they are on the windowsill at the moment. Waiting for this weather to clear and I shall put some shallot's in.

Spring cabbage was looking ok yesterday before this covering of snow.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not started the spuds yet but two sorts of broad beans are on the window sill waiting for the snow to bog off then they can go in. A few of the Kale are still out there as a winter green but being eaten one by one, over wintering onions seem okay both in the garden and down the lotty. Not much else to do just yet for me.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'm thinking of just doing some early spuds this year.

As I'm due posting, will be fooked around because of the Olympics and will be attending RIAT I'm not going to have time to do anything this year... not that I did much last year! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Can any more experienced allotmenteers recommend something easy to look after that will be ready for June/July time so I can harvest and then shut down the plot?

HTB

G

grumpyoldb

something easy to look after that will be ready for June/July time so I can harvest and then shut down the plot?

HTB

An early sowing of runner/dwarf french/broad beans should just about be ready by the end of june, as would summer cabbage. Other than that the usual quick salads.

G

grumpyoldb

I've just sown 6 x HT Browns hot chillie pepper mix, No idea what will become of them. Also 6 x sweet peppers.
I've been sowing my sweet peppers too late and they haven't been ripening so I'm going for an early start this year. Just waiting for the end of this month to start sowing my toms.

G

grumpyoldb

Drought will push up price of food, farmers warn.

Growers may cancel seed orders for potatoes, carrots, onions and lettuce due to lack of water.

Farmers in drought-stricken areas of the country are facing crucial decisions in the next few days and weeks over what to grow this year – and their plans could mean rising food prices for hard-pressed consumers this summer.

Most of the south-east of England was officially declared to be in drought last week, and large swaths of the Midlands and south of England were confirmed as "at risk", with hosepipe bans and other restrictions likely to be introduced soon.

Farmers are particularly at risk as the spring growing period approaches. Soil moisture in the key agricultural region of East Anglia has reached a record low, and many farmers have had their licences to take water from rivers and underground sources curbed. Some key crops – such as potatoes, carrots, onions and lettuce – require much more water than alternatives, and farmers must sow the seeds for many of these staples within days or weeks.

The National Farmers' Union said the potato crop was likely to be one of the worst affected. When potatoes do not receive enough water at crucial points of their growth, they tend to contain too much sugar, which can give them a dark appearance when cooked, rendering them less palatable to chip and crisp makers – often they can be sold only for animal feed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/26/drought-push-up-price-food

Glad I got my seed spuds chitting. I've got my carrot and pea seeds in stock, just need to get my onion sets in and I'm ready to go. Setting up my five water butts this week to get as much water in store as possible.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
My missus, has decided to grow here own this year, so have boat a load of temporary allotment type bins to grow stuff on your patio, and she is looking at growing tats, onions etc. Looks like it might be worhtwile now.

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Grumps in soggy Manchester damping off and waterlogging might be your biggest worry:pDT_Xtremez_30:. For me, three types of spuds chitting now, Desiree mains, Wilja 2nd earlies and Rocket 1st earlies. Broad beans, aqua dulce claudia, now out in the ground. Dalek emptied and horse poo dug in the veg patch beds at home and is the next big job down the lotty (this week). Leek seeds, musselborough, also sown in trays. Will not plant them out in the final position until around June time. As to water no news of a ban here in Shropshire yet but I am saving water non the less.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Bought a handful of Pentland Javelin over the weekend... one batch chitting on the windowsill as we speak. Going to go for planting in batches this year so that I get a few potato plants maturing every couple of weeks... rather than have the one massive glut of spuds within a week. The last batch will be planted in potato bags so that they are mobile!

Grabbed some Strawberry plants as well... something that I can put in a pot and take with me when the RAF decide to move me! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

Fairynuff31

Corporal
I chucked shallots and garlic in the ground in early November along with some winter lettuce - all doing well so far.

Looking at sowing the first crop of peas and french beans, along with some spring onions shortly - rinse and repeat at 3 week intervals or so.

My peppers (chilli and sweet) were rubbish last year, so will sow some of each into peat plugs at the weekend and germinate on a windowsill, before planting out in greenhouse in a month or so. I think I was far too late last year.

Looking a doing toms (money maker) at the end of March....

stingray888

Sergeant
Got some Wiljas chitting at the moment, I'll put them in pots in the greenhouse next month. Growing tomatoes from seed for the first time this year, Gardeners Delight and Alicante.

Spurdog

Corporal
I'm thinking of just doing some early spuds this year.

As I'm due posting, will be fooked around because of the Olympics and will be attending RIAT I'm not going to have time to do anything this year... not that I did much last year! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Can any more experienced allotmenteers recommend something easy to look after that will be ready for June/July time so I can harvest and then shut down the plot?

HTB

You could try planting Charlottes, nice waxy salad potatoes, they should be ready to lift about 12 weeks after planting……….weather permitting!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Just taken delivery of my allotment in Digby. Anyone got a rotorvator?

Gem, get yer ass down here and dig it up for me

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just taken delivery of my allotment in Digby. Anyone got a rotorvator?

Be wary of using one. If your plot has bind weed, mares tail or couch grass for example all you will do is chop them into 100's of tiny pieces. Each piece will then grow into new weed, you could potentially end up generating loads of work for yourself (or Gem).

To help me out I find this site very useful for hints and tips on all manner of veg growing.

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/

Last edited: