• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afghan tragedy 02 Sep 2006

A

Albert Park

tragic

GBflag.jpg

G

GTFPDQ

RIP. Condolences to all affected. Sad news. Per Ardua Ad Astra.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
We toast our hearty comrades who have fallen from the skies, and were gently caught by God's own hand to be with him on High.

To dwell among the soaring clouds they've known so well before. From victory roll to tail chase, at heaven's very door.

As we fly among them there, we're sure to head their plea. To take care my friend, watch your six, and do one more roll for me.

— Commander Jerry Coffee, Hanoi, 1968

E

Edzar

Condolences to all concerned on this very sad day for the RAF. May they rest in peace

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
BBC website

BBC website

Just been on (to BBC Website) to find out some more info and went to the messages section (never have before and thought i would see what others thought about the crash)....1st post i read (and only as my blood started to boil) was :-

Isn't this what you call "collateral damage"? Or is that only when innocent people in Iraq and Afghanistan get killed by your troops? These were soldiers, not "peace-keepers" - I'd wonder how many civilians each one killed since being there.
A SZ, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Not happy after reading that i can tell you !:pDT_Xtremez_09:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have just heard. A sad day; my condolences to family and friends.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Yet another British tradegy fighting Blair's War. :pDT_Xtremez_37:

Condolences to all the families of those involved, our thoughts are with you.

P

POB

My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this tradgedy. The families and friends will need all of our support over the coming days and months. If and when we of the Goat are asked to help, I know we will be there for our fallen comrades.

God speed and rest in peace.

P

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Though I have probably never met them or their families, I am thinking of them now.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Karlos

LAC
Sorry this is long thread but just been released...... my thoughts are with all of the families and colleagues concerned

BBC News Website.....http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5308622.stm
14 Britons killed in Afghanistan

The plane was a Nimrod MR2
Fourteen British service personnel have died after their aircraft crashed in Afghanistan, the MoD has said.
Twelve RAF personnel, a Royal Marine and an Army soldier were among those who died in the crash in the southern province of Kandahar.

The plane, later confirmed as an RAF Nimrod MR2, belonged to the Nato-led force which is battling the Taleban.

UK Defence Secretary Des Browne said "all indications are that this was a terrible accident".

It's a black day. It's a disaster for our soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan

Major Charles Heyman

He added: "This is dreadful and shocking news. I know that the people of Britain will join me in sending our deep condolences to the loved ones of those who have lost their lives.

"I can say, however, at this stage all the indications are that this was a terrible accident and not the result of hostile action."

'Technical fault'

The pilot is believed to have radioed ground staff about a technical fault shortly before the aircraft came down.

Nato forces say the was supporting the Nato mission in the area.

The defence analyst, Major Charles Heyman, told BBC News 24: "It's a black day. It's a disaster for our soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan.

"No other words can describe it. It's a big hit to morale. Believe me it really does affect morale."

BBC defence correspondent, Paul Wood, told BBC News 24, said the plane could have been supporting an operation in a place called Panjwayi - west of Kandahar.

"It's a town - which has been in Taleban hands - which has been forced back into coalition hands by a big push, still continuing today."

The crash brings the death toll of UK forces personnel in Afghanistan to 36 since the start of operations in November 2001.

Conservative Party leader David Cameron, who said he was "deeply shocked and saddened" by the accident, has sent his condolences to the friends and families of those killed.

"Today's tragic loss is a reminder of the extraordinarily difficult conditions in which our armed forces are operating in Afghanistan," he said.

MOD HELPLINE
A special helpline is available on 08457 800 900 for families concerned about relatives
The crash is thought to be the biggest single loss of British troops in Iraq or Afghanistan since military operations began there in 2001.

Sky News reports on their website., http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1232800,00.html?f=rss

Fourteen British troops have died in an aircraft crash in Afghanistan.

The Taliban has claimed it shot down the Nimrod MR2 reconnaissance plane - but the Ministry of Defence says the crash was an accident.

The MoD said those killed were 12 Royal Air Force personnel, one Royal Marine and one Army soldier.

It has set up a helpline for concerned relatives: 08457 800 900.

The deaths bring to 36 the number of UK servicemen killed in Afghanistan since the US-led Coalition invasion in November 2001.

It is believed to be Britain's biggest single loss of life in either Afghanistan or Iraq since the War on Terror began five years ago.

An RAF Nimrod in Bahrain The crash happened near the southern city of Kandahar, part of the region where a multinational NATO force, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), took command of peacekeeping duties this summer.

Shortly after the crash, a man claiming to be a spokesman for the Taliban, Ahmed Khaliq, said the militant guerrilla group had shot down the aircraft.

However, an ISAF spokesman insisted the crash was an accident.

Major Scott Lundy said the plane had been "supporting a NATO mission", adding: "It went off the radar and crashed in an open area in Kandahar. There was no indication of an enemy attack."

He said the Taliban claims were "absolutely false".

About 4,000 UK troops in south Another ISAF spokesman, Major Luke Knittig, said the aircraft had made an emergency call shortly before it disappeared.

Defence Secretary Des Browne said the news was "dreadful and shocking" and said the incident appeared to be "a terrible accident".

He added: "This tragic incident should serve to remind us all of the risks the British military shoulder on all our behalf, across the world every day."

Nimrod MR2s - originally designed to hunt enemy submarines - are now used for general reconnaissance purposes.

The Observer newspaper is reporting that technical problems were reported by the plane's crew before the crash.